OS X version using DX11?

llamapower

Chieftain
I noticed when moving some mod files over (thank you AlanH btw for all the help in the FAQ!) that there is only one .ini file, GraphicsStettingDX9.ini , in my OS X Civ 5 file in my documents folder while my windows version has 2, one for DX9 and one for DX11.

Does this mean that the OS X port only uses DX 9? Does this mean it performs more poorly or with limitations? Is there any way/reason to get it to use DX11?

thanks!

OS X doesn't user DX at all. It uses OpenGL. Aspyr have built bridges between the DX9 system APIs and the OpenGL equivalents, but there are no equivalents for DX11 in the current Open GL implementation.

I don't know. You'd have to ask someone who has run the two versions on the same hardware and done a timing test. I haven't.

I don't know. You'd have to ask someone who has run the two versions on the same hardware and done a timing test. I haven't.

I haven't done a timing test, but, the Mac version runs as well on my 3 year old Mac in OS X as it does in Windows 7. I can't see that the DX 11 version looks any better or the graphics are any smoother than the OpenGL OS X version. I have an ATI 4870 GPU, if that matters.

Not much difference in the actual running of the program for me. It's just the (lack of) mod support for OS X, and future DLL support that has me running Civ V on my Win 7 partition now.

Yeah I haven't either. Wanted to make sure I was right tho. Thanks guys.

Mavfin- I do the same. Its really frustrating having to boot into another OS if I want to play for 30 min.

Top Bottom