OSG 18A Honourable Humans

TheArchduke

Feeling at home..
This is the start we got for our honourable human variant.

Size: Medium
Difficulty: Impossible
Race: Humans
Variant Rules: http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showpost.php?p=23008&postcount=20

I will go ahead and play the first 20 rounds of our game now if noone objects.:)

Team Members:

TheArchduke <- up now
Ungy <- on deck
Zed-F
mostly harmless

Attachments

• orion_002.png
    orion_002.png
    11 KB · Views: 167
I start off my round with scouting and sending the colony ship to the red star. I colonize a 45 pop system to our southwest, and I don´t encounter any thrilling worlds. Some turns and 2 scout 1.0 later, I actually encounter Orion to the northwest right in the corner, well at least we don´t have to fly far.

Some turns later I check the tech quickly:

CPU: Deed Space Scanner and BCII, I take the former
Con: IT9 and RedWaste80%, I take IT9, it comes along quickly
Shi: ShieldsII
Pla: Barren
Pro: Hydrogen Fuel Cells(4Parsec)
Wea: Gatling Laser

Easy on, as with the last four, we actually didn´t have anything to choose from. On Turn 2314 I spot a mrsshan scout flying around in the southwest.

Most world in our vicinity can support life, and small of size. The only 2 interesting worlds are ultra-rich and a bit to the north and to the south. I would recommend setting up some Defending Ships to lay our claim on them for the moment. As there are no Silicoids around there is no immeadite threat to hostile worlds being conquered.

TheArchduke <- just played
Ungy <- up now
Zed-F <- on deck
mostly harmless

Attachments

• orion_003.png
    orion_003.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 139
  • SAVE4.zip
    5 KB · Views: 75
OK just checking in as well. I should be able to play tomorrow night.

OK checking things out:
not in the spirit of nit-picking but I would normally pick RW80 in that spot. My thinking is I might have to go IT next, the early waste really help overall prod, and RW80 trades much better. Against that it costs more. I also hope you all will comment on my choices--I'm trying to learn here.

Our start looks very strong--seems like we might easily get the whole NW corner and a lot of planets.

Mrrshans to the SW--they must have started at the yellow sw star. I think we need more scouts--build at Rana. Tau Cigni will be first colony.
Since Rana is pretty small I'll build one more round of fact at sol and partially seed from there as well--that will cut the turns down to 5 on colship.

Not sure whether it's worth building LR def for Proteus--likely the Mrr first target. I decide to go with the colship first and plan a single LR def after. Since its the Mrr and we have so many planets to claim I'll just leave it a scout for now.

2422 Alkari scouts on volantis (no planets)
2423 Chase Alk scout from Vox
2424 single sak ftr chases our scout from proteus I start LR def in Rana (2T)
2425 my scout reaches Arietes--it is unfortunately sakkra and a single ftr runs us off
2426 send lr def to tau cig--will beat our colship there by 1 turn.
2427 bul, klack scout Obaca.
2428 run Myr scout off Tau
2430 we colonize Tau --contact with Sakkra Start researching prop.
2432 our scout sends off a Mrr col from Proteus
2433 we colonize Obaca
2433 Mrrshans send us off Omicron with a large and col--they now have 7 planets and are in our corner first. This game is looking much tougher.
2436 colship built and sent to Whynil. send LR def to Whynil.
Increase prop research--don't think we have much chance at Vox but should have Seidon if we can hold Whynil.
2437 our scout runs off a mrr col and scout from Whynil.
2440 and time for the next emperor:

Colship is 1 turn to Whynil--good luck holding it. Range 4 at 20&#37;. I have not researched any other tech.

Nice expansion phase. With so many small planets, we need lots of them.

I agree now RedWaste80&#37; would have been smarter.
Though I am not sure if only researching propulsion is a good thing, I like to have a trickle in all research fields, even if it is small.

We might consider getting a trade treaty with the Sakkras, as I think if we have war the Mrrshans are a better target and after all, on impossible the AI will come for us anyway.

TheArchduke
Ungy <- just played
Zed-F <- up now
mostly harmless <- on deck

Mostly harmless, please check in.

I think we should get trade going with both the Sak and Mrr. I was tight on getting colships out and figured I'd wait but I was forgetting about our trade bonus. Should have done on my set but next emperor should correct my mistake.

Looking forward tech wise I think we should prioritize barren as we have a good chance at those planets.

As for eventual wars--I think the cats are trouble. Our strength is FF and we're likely to have PSV. So play to our strength and get sheild research going as soon as we can and hope to hold them off with our bases. Don't bother building ships until we have some much better tech--unless we need to defend against their colonization attempts.

Was not able to get this tonight, will try tomorrow unless mostly_harmless wants to trade spaces and go first.

We won the races to three more planets, Whynil (Desert 35), Seidon (Jungle 85 Poor) and Maalor (Barren 35) but the Mrrshan snagged Desert 50 Poor Proxima and the Bulrathi snagged Barren 35 Vox before we could.

After Range 4 and Barren I started us on Terraforming+20 -- our planets are almost all tiny and need a lot of terraforming help to be useful. Near the end of my turnset it came in and we had the choice of Inferno, Toxic, or Enhanced Eco at the next level. There is a Rich Inferno nearby which made for a tough call, but we are really hurting for cleanup so I prioritized Eco. Right now we are working on that, Range 6 (needed for Ajax in the far north, and to expand in general since we've colonized everything locally available), and IIT 9.

Incidentally, our Bulrathi neighbors are erratic. We can expect a war declaration from them at some point. Fortunately they are not a big empire but since our planets suck, they are more than we can handle at the moment. Once our economy matures a bit more we should renegotiate our trade agreements -- we will be dependent on them for a large portion of our income since our planets are small and since we are good at trade.

The Mrrshan have gotten off to a surprisingly good start for the kitties -- they must have gotten a lot of nice worlds within range 3. Not much we can hope to do about it for the moment, though.

Things might get odd enough that we try to actually sign some non-aggression pacts and/or alliances at some point... probably won't do us any good until the various races start feeling their oats and making war declarations, though. Certainly not while we're still trying to acquire new colonization room, at any rate.

Attachments

• osg18_2360.zip
    12 KB · Views: 81
TheArchduke <- on deck
Ungy
Zed-F <- just played
mostly harmless <- up now

Hmm, looks good, I am not sure if Range 6 is worth it just for the eastern planet though. Especially that early.

Very uneventful turns.
I up the trade agreements with the Sakkras and the Mrrshan. Not worth to do it with the erratic Bulrathis.
Council vote we vs. the Cats:
Mrrshan 6 votes for Mrrshans
Bulrathis 3 votes for us
Sakkra 4 votes abstain
Alkaris 4 votes abstain
Klackon 1 vote for us
We 5 votes for Mrrshan
So it seems the bugs are the one planet emire yellow star next to the Bulrathis. They also have an alliance.
And I think the north-east / east belongs to the Alkaris.

I relocated a few scouts to the northeast to give them a headstart for that area when range 6 comes in.
I produced one more LR def to follow that lone sakkra ship.
Some planets I managed to max out on pop and fac.

IIT9 came in and I went for the cheap RW80. Next emperor want to up the research rate on this on his second turn.

We could trade around IT+20 for a lot of stuff, but nothing worth really, except the hand lasers from the cats should the bears come for us.

Where is Orion again? In that nebula to the northwest?

btw. I thought OSG save slot is 3 not 4 by convention?
I left it on 4 since it came from Zed-F.
mh

Attachments

• OSG18_2370.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 79
OSGs are usually either save3 or save4. Typically we try to alternate but it doesn't always work out that way.

PS: Don't trade economy techs unless you really have no choice! Even if you need to snag an economy tech from someone else to shore up a weakness, usually you can trade them a non-economy tech to get the same thing.

Well, things look good as far as I can see, I up espionage a tiny notch so we soon have reports on the bears, cats and lizards. Until I see that we are not allowed to spy on our trade partners. Well good riddance then, we are honourable, I stop investment in espionage ASAP.

10 turns per player from now on.

I up our trade with everyone and I get Hand Lasers for IT9 from the Cats, they will soon have something better on impossible. I also build 4 more LR Defenders for the Inferno Rich system.

And soon later another vote.

We against Cats.
We: Bears(3), Klackons(1)
Cats: Them(7), Us(6)
Abstain: Sakkras(4), Alkaris(4)

Nothing new there, we won´t without Orion anyway in our variant.

In 2726 I got ridiculous 34% pop chance on range 6 and still no dice, nevertheless I build a new colony ship. When they do pop, I take nuclear engines, nothing better than having those in the game and slug around
anymore. I start my colony ship and the scouts.

The save is slot 3 again.

Please do not make zero investments in tech, leave a trickle of 2 clicks in each, Computers, Force Fields and are popping soonish and it would be nice to see what we get. RW80% and Improved Eco is soon in and I would
propose making a bid to a high enviroment tech to snatch those infernos. If everything goes as planned and the bears hear no voices, we are looking good.

Attachments

• SAVE3.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 75
OK-got it. Hopefully a prettty quiet set. I up FF a bit--we have to get sheilds ready for an eventual war.
our scouts find alk homeworld and another alk to the w of Maalor
rw80 in we have IT8 and dur I take dur
ff2 in pds only.

Deep space scanner in we have ECM2, RC3, BC3 take RC3
scout finds Klack homeworld e of Crypto

gatling laser in npg, anti-missile rockets, ion cannon take ion cannon.

enhanced econ in I have inf, toxic,soil, bta. I gamble on inferno as there were a couple of rich infernos we are a longshot for.

we colonize toranor.

nuclear engines in-range 7 only choice.

And thus ends a very quiet reign.

Top Bottom