OSG 18A Honourable Humans

Looks good so far, good call on the Huge Repulsor, I am starting to get the feeling that this variant is too easy.

I reject an alliance by the Alkaris. Although this might be a good idea lateron to get a war going. The Sakkra fleet retreats immeaditly. Hard Beam comes in and I take Megabolt cannon next. The Mrsshans dial us up and tell us that we are overexpanding, aren´t we?;)

Zortrium Armor is in next and I decide to get Battle Suits quickly before IT5 comes.

And the Klackons dial us up and DECLARE WAR. With out human diplomacy abilities we get rid of their Alkari allies immeaditly, and for the heck of it, I up espionage spending to finally see a bit of the tech we are up against. Their intial target is Romulas our easternmost world. The Bulrathis would join us only for Merculites, and I decline.

A Ion Cannon fleet engages us one turn later, and I start to laugh maniacally.

When suddenly my Moo dies. Well this is nasty and unexpected, I try to replay my turns as best as I can. The Klackon fleet is incoming and I ignore them till the last turn like before, the Bears cancel the Nap, though. The Cats and the Birds dial us up and complain about our overexpansion, as well as the Klackons. Brining along a general drop of relations. This time the Klackons decide to attack us through a cold war attack, still their fleet is basically slaughtered.

Zortrium armor comes in, quite late, and I choose Battle Suits once again.

It is quite a shame that war didn´t break out this time around, we could have used some action. Then this time the Lizards attack Rana with their whole fleet, and they got 33 large spore ships. Nasty. All 33 large ships are destroyed and their huge and small ships retreat.

Our best new CPU tech is EC Jammer VI, so I take it reluctantly. Our new scanners uncover the galaxy. It is 2461 now, my sincere apologies, I played one turn too long. The next player may decide if he plays only 9 turns or if we shift the 10 turn wheel by one year.

Attachments

• SAVE4.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 70
OK here we go:
put Celtsi into reserves. nothing too much happening. I agree with the assessment that we are waiting on orion to claim.
2462 Alk warn us.
2465 Cloaking in I have X planet, 9s, zyro. Take 9s
IT50 in complete eco only choice.
check trading nothing good offered
2466 battle suits in- IT5
2468 ion drives in I have star gates and HE focus--take HE focus.
2470 megabolt cannon in--pulson missile.

Mrrshan fleet inbound Seidon

And thus ends another quiet reign.

Once again it is Tues/Wed when my turn comes up, which means it will be hard to get the game. I'll see if I can get a chance to get it but I may not have an opportunity until Thurs. If mostly-harmless wants to swap again, that would be fine.

Not too much going on. Our fleet strength rating is pretty abysmal, which might draw attacks our way, so I built a few more Ion 4.0s for local defense. One of them plus the bases at Sol wiped out about half the Sakkra fleet. We also took down a good chunk of the Mrrshan fleet but they have lots more where that came from. I'm thinking we should have gone for Class X Planetary shield as the Mrrshan heavy fusion fleet can actually damage our bases. But better missiles will help there.

On the tech front we were mostly researching new techs on my turn and the bulbs have mostly filled up. We did acquire ECM VI on my last turn so BC VIII is up next. A better RC than RC III would be good but so far the option is not there. We are short on Construction tech (our weakest) so I pulled a bit out of propulsion (our highest tech) to shore that up -- Construction is crucial for fitting more stuff on our ships. Otherwise I equalized all fields -- computers and planetology are still important for improving our economy, while shields and weapons are useful for protecting our worlds from cold war attacks and miniaturizing Megabolt Cannons enough to be a capable Guardian-smasher. I also traded around to acquire Inertial Stabilizers from the Sakkra, Fusion Rifle from the Bulrathi, and Stinger missiles from the Alkari.

Attachments

• osg18_2480.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 68
Class IX shield comes in, PlanetaryX are next.

This is too damn quiet and doesn´t keep us on our toes like the rest of our games, perhaps the Humans are too easy? We even had troubles with the Psilons for christ´s sake. IT5 comes in, on to Andrium Armor. complete Eco -> Universal Antidote.

The Cats attack with zounds of Fusion Blast Ships, but our shields are bordering close to insane..

I stop in 2490 after another boring round of teching and buildup.

I think we have it way too easy playing the Humans. It may come from our diplomatic and shield strength, but comparing this game to the Alkari and Psilon battles we have, makes me wonder if the Humans are actually viable for a challenge.

Or are we just extremly lucky/unlucky?:)

Attachments

• SAVE4.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 63
Well a large part of the dullness is coming simply because we can't actually attack anyone! I think we all expected to be in a war with SOMEBODY by now. We've also turned off most of the ways by which we could provoke someone to declare war on us.

So, yeah. It's probably not the humans, so much as the restrictions we chose this time around. Although, I do consider the humans to be one of the strongest races precisely because of their ability to be left alone if they so choose, and recruit helpers when they can't. Plus their ability to win a vote, which we could have done many times over by now.

There are 2 things that make playing Humans a cakewalk in MOO1. First, they get a relations bonus to all other races. They get the most time early game to get themselves set up before relations turn south and they have to worry about wars. The second is that they are excellent in Shield research. These two synergize perfectly in the fact that by the time you get harassed militarily, you are already sitting behind nigh impenetrable planetary shields.

I personally think Humans can pull themselves out of more bad spots than any other race in MOO1 because of this.

Roster:

ArchDuke < Just played
Ungy << UP NOW
Zed < On Deck
Mostly Harmless

OK here we go--not expecting too much in the way of excitement:
I decide to scrap the scout 1.0's and 2.0's.
Increase con as it seems we're just waiting to build an orion fleet.

2491 Pulson missiles in I have hand phasors or particle beam--take particle beam.
Alk cancel NAP

2493 PSX in I have zyro and class XI, take class XI.
2495 HE focus in--AM drives.
2497 And armor in--trit armor only choice.
Alk are come for Maalor--2 turns.
2499 BC8 in --RC6

We can build a fighter for 18BC with BC4, Fusion, Zort armor, maneuver 4,MB cannon.
This might be what we need to take on the guardian--if you guys think so then I'd vote just build the fleet and take it out and claim the next vote.
I haven't gone for the guardian in a long time and don't remember what it takes.
Feels to me like we've won this one a while ago.

I trade for some obsolete techs to boost our level to see if that lets us fit anything better on but not much improvement.
2500 vote and we would actually be one short of victory.

Thus ends another quiet reign.

Top Bottom