1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by jonteman, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jonteman

jonteman Chieftain

Heya!

Anyone using Maverick yet?
    Encountering any issues with Civ 5?

Gotta check before upgrading.
    I remember the 6months long wait for a patch to fix Civ 5 when upgrading abit too quick for ML.

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I am upgrading my copy of Parallels first, then I'll install Mavericks on my laptop and check it out.

I don't anticipate any problems with the Steam version, since Aspyr only released the latest build a few days ago. It would have been crazy not to have tested it with Mavericks before release. I wouldn't be so confident about the App Store version, though, as it is quite old in Civ5 software years now.

3. docbud

docbud Emperor

I personally think it will take a while.

I doubt the app store will tell say much, as it shows 10.6.8 for playing Civ V.

I'm still at 10.7.5

4. AlanH

Hmm. Parallels is upgraded, but I decided I'd better do a backup of that Mac before upgrading. That'll take a little while.

5. Sid

Sid Observer and Participant

Waiting for Mavericks to d/l now.

Hopefully Time Machine will take care of any back-up issues.

Yeah, I know: fools rush in.:goodjob:

6. Sid

Sid Observer and Participant

Mavericks looking and working well on my iMac. Tried a previously saved game and played a few turns. All good, except I'm getting my derriere kicked.

7. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

New build, of Steam or of Civ V?

I just updated my mid-2009 17" MBP to Mavericks (15 minutes to download, an hour to install, no issues so far), launched Steam, and then Civ V, in that order. Steam is installing an update to itself, but I didn't see any indication that a game patch was being downloaded.

The game seems to be stuck at "loading" and is basically not responding to events (meaning when I click in the window, nothing comes to the foreground. and trying to drag the window leads to a bit of jerky movement a minute or so later.) OS X thinks it's "not responding". So it looks like a complete lose to me.

~ Kiran

8. technome

technome Chieftain

I'm seeing crashes around turn 250 - 300 on a huge Earth map from the Scrambled Continents pack.

Crashed Thread: 0 MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
    --> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Civilization V.app/Contents/MacOS/Civilization V
    __TEXT 0000000000001000-0000000000b1a000 [ 11.1M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Civilization V.app/Contents/MacOS/Civilization V

Thread 0 Crashed:: MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 com.aspyr.civ5xp.steam 0x000708e8 0x1000 + 456936
    1 com.aspyr.civ5xp.steam 0x00070385 0x1000 + 455557
    2 com.aspyr.civ5xp.steam 0x0069ecdd 0x1000 + 6937821
    3 com.aspyr.civ5xp.steam 0x0069f15f 0x1000 + 6938975
    *snip*

I'm going to try resetting all my options to stock when I've a little spare time.

Full crash report attached if anyone's interested.

Attached Files:

9. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Ack I'm still on 10.5.8 :ack:

They didn't name it after a cat though? I'd definitely be selling my shares.

10. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Set to download when I went to bed and woke up this morning showing it had failed in the middle of the night. I have Carbon Copy Cloner set to run every night at midnight so I wonder if that might have interfered with it. Is downloading now so hopefully after work it'll be done. I probably should just wait a day or so when the servers aren't getting slammed.

AlanH, do you have any backups that run periodically? Other then CCC I also have CrashPlan plus time machine. I felt three backups should be enough before updating. Though I admit, I did briefly consider adding one more.

11. AlanH

I was referring to the Fall Patch for BNW. Steam is always updating. I just assume they have rebuilt for Mavericks.
    The Fall Patch was released a week or so ago. It would have already installed if you've run Civ5 since then.
    Maybe you need to use Steam to verify the software.

12. AlanH

My MacBook is only used for mobile activity, and has very little unique data, so it only runs time machine to a shared drive on my MacPro. Before installing Mavericks, I figured I should have a bootable clone of Mountain Lion.

13. AlanH

Looks like Civ5 was calling back to the Steam overlay at the time of the crash. Finger of suspicion points to Steam.

14. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Prince

That looks like an out of memory crash. Late game huge maps and high settings could cause that. Resetting to default graphics settings should help a bit.

15. technome

technome Chieftain

Cheers Ryan. I'm in touch with your tech support. Now that 10.9 is out, they've given me directions to help debug the issue.

*edit* Resetting everything to defaults by forcing the game to write new copies of the three .ini files seems to have solved the crashes for now. I'll keep an eye on things as the game plays out and more of the map gets exposed. I have set the water quality to medium, though. Low quality water looks hideous.

Alan. I don't understand why the game needs to communicate with Steam at all, once validated. I've just disabled Steam Community in the game's properties. Maybe that'll help.

16. reticentbassist

reticentbassist Chieftain

I have Mavericks and I played Civ for a bit today. Civ itself ran just fine, but I noticed a SERIOUS impact on the performance of Chrome and other open apps, in different desktops. I think this has to do with Mavericks App Nap features which diverts power from apps that are "in the background". I think this is a flaw in that when Civ is running on its own desktop, and Chrome and Outlook are both on their own desktops, it should not take resources away from desktops other than the one the app is running.

No problems with the game itself though.

17. AlanH

Neither do I. I'm just reading from the list of function calls that appear in your crash log. The software was running several calls deep in Steam code when it crashed. However, given Ryan's diagnosis, that may simply be because that code was the last straw for your memory allocations, resulting in the crash.

18. jbmoll

jbmoll Chieftain

Wondering if anyone has seen any performance improvements with 10.9?

Does it take advantage of the updated OpenGL?

19. technome

technome Chieftain

Well, one of the reasons I had the settings cranked up, apparently causing my crashes, was to test for improved graphics performance.

So I'd have to say no, not yet.

Oh, and I'm running a 3.33 GHz hex core Mac Pro with 24 GB of RAM, an NVidia GTX680 and a home-rolled FusionDrive. So resources really shouldn't be a problem. I see no crashes for any other program.

Under Windows 7, Civ 5 purrs along effortlessly with every setting maxed out.

20. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

After running the verify command (Thanks Alan!) the game loads and works (and was apparently updated as well, though I still have no idea when.) And not only that...

I'm in turn 310 of a standard (I think) game (1880?) on a mid-2009 17" MBP. For the first time EVER, map scrolling is instantaneous. Just click, and it scrolls or jumps to the desired location seemingly JUST as fast as it is on my friend's homebuilt gaming PC. I'll probably play a multiplayer game with him when I'm in IL in the fall, assuming the patch levels match, or assuming he plays on my (mid-2010) Mac mini and I play on my MBP.

It's hard to imagine actually being able to play a game in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, now I can't load mods anymore (or I see no option to do that) and I guess this means I have to figure out how to re-enable it.