• 1981 - 1985

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 1986 - 1990

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 1991 - 1995

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 1996 and younger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mind your own business Buddy/Mate/Cobba/Dude !!!!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

fe3333au

Deity
After reading the various discussions we have had, I'm intrigued by our membership. It is for this reason that I have decided to set up this secret ballot poll, for I have certain suspicions regarding it's outcome. :mischief:

Spoiler :

I predict that the majority of our membership is Generation X (the one after the baby boomers)
Being Born in early 60's - late 70's, brought up on TV and early computer games, who can remember images of man stepping onto the moon.

ie. A team who's individuals have lived through many of life's lessons and therefore gained wisdom.

I myself enjoy meeting new poeple and sharing thoughts on a variety of subjects, so we (if there is an interest) could also use this thread to just chat about non-game related things.

Hehehe. Who are all those whippersnappers back there at the end of the '70s? :)

I was born in '72. I'm the oldest of 3, my brother was born in 74 but he's so much older than me :lol:

If Fe is right – I could be the young man on this team!

1982 for me.
But I’m starting to feel older than that – what with my first baby on the way and all. (I also went through school quickly – started college at 16, and finished my Masters degree in business in 2004… I’m not that smart… just an over achiever ;) )

EDIT - and I just found out my car insurance rates are going to get a nice break here in a couple months! Hooray for turning 25 in the USA! :lol:

I remember that day well.
Was nigh on a decade ago, Ah Reckon'.

Got a nice phone call from the gal down at the insurance agency.

Yep.... Nice day, that one was ;)

If Fe is right – I could be the young man on this team!

1982 for me.
But I’m starting to feel older than that – what with my first baby on the way and all. (I also went through school quickly – started college at 16, and finished my Masters degree in business in 2004… I’m not that smart… just an over achiever ;) )

Do you mean you were born in 1982? I've got kids older than that! First baby on the way? I've got seven grandchildren already and I'm not even old yet. And I hope to have my masters in 2009. I'm not that dumb, just an under achiever. :D

Wow ... generation Xers unite :beer:

Of course we will all be relying on the young Gen_W to remind us of the certain things that we will forget :old: We could always assign him, due to not yet suffering the aches in our ancient bones, to heat up a nice cup of warm milk at night for us :lol:

Slippers please!
Where are my slippers?!

Aw, the youth today.... When I grew up.... cue neverending story...:D

Born in 1979, I consider myself the last of the X-ers. The kids just one year younger than me all grew up with MTV (music video channel), I missed the whole fuss about it (thankfully!) :D

I remember the first video I ever saw. "Much too late for goodbye" by that lennon kid. I didn't get it. It's a song. Why would you want to watch the guy sing it? I could understand watching a sculptor, especially if he's one of those guys who uses a chainsaw to carve a bear or something out of a log - I mean, that's just really fun to watch happen!... And he's using a chain saw!

But a song???

I still don't get it! :lol:

:lol: My first video was on a programme called Countdown which really got Australia rocking ... most acts were live with studeo audience and the good old lip synching thing.

As to what it was ... it may have been a UK act ... Stones maybe or a psychedelic band complete with trippy lighting effects. The first Australian video was probably ACDC Highway to Hell or Jail Break, they were a small band that used to do school socials :lol:

EDIT ... actually it may have been Russel Morris with Australia's first psychadelic piece called Real Thing

Oh when I say video it was a piece that was more than a recording of the band live or in the studeo.

Actually thanks for the topic ... I'll bring it up at the pub on Friday :thumbsup:

The first album I purchased was ELO which I then swapped for KISS Dynasty, the second Meat Loaf Bat out of Hell, Sex Pistols Rock'n'Roll Swindal ... it was only much later that I was introduced to Zappa, Great Society, Bonzo Dog Band, Nina Hagen Band, Amon Duul II, Brian Eno and Hawkwind. ... STOP NOW !!! :D

The Council's newest member is TheLoneMan!

Welcome! Grab a chair and let's get down to business. The map is being worked on this very weekend so you're here in time for the beginning of what we hope will be a glorious history of the Koreans. Take a look at the Grand Strategy thread and give us your thoughts. We'll soon have plenty of work to do as we decide our fisrt move! :run:

I suppose I'm officially the youngest one here, then?

Sorry I havn't been around ... been preoccupied with RL.

Organising a Xmas function at the local pub, we have a social club and for $20 annual membership we have 4 total free events a year ... free food, free booze, free everything. So we will next Saturday be happily HO HO-ing into a spit roast and crayfish and the kiddies will be jumping about in one of those blowup castles, eating lollies and getting a small gift from the man in red (hopefully he won't be too drunk the night before like last year ... actually he better not :mad: because I don't want to explain to the kiddies that Santa asked me to say sorry because he is very busy and after handing out the prezzies, he turns up pissed a couple hours later ... shouldn't happen because I sacked the last one and got myself another :lol: )

Also had alot of fires in Tasmania, and I live in the bush. While not actually threatened we had a smoke haze hanging over most of the state ... though it was time to clean the guttering and rake up the leaves :eek:

Oh and today there is snow on the mountain :twitch: ... I guess sooty snow is preferable to the yellow variety ;)

:hmm: guess weather prediction should ditch satelites and computers and use the old and proven methods of predicting through the use of warm chicken entrails :mischief:

Finally, had to battle the powers that be to get a fireworks permit through ... a little matter of non-pyro savvy bureaucrats standing firm about safety distances and ignoring the experience of the practitioner who understands safety issues ... long story short ... Sanity prevailed :woohoo:

WOW I vented a bit there :lol: and all I wanted to do was welcome new members and say I'm still here :wavey:

Sounds like next Saturday will be quite a lot of fun! Too bad I won't be anywhere near either the southern or eastern hemisphere :p

:beer: to Sanity :)

hopefully he won't be too drunk the night before like last year ... actually he better not :mad: because I don't want to explain to the kiddies that Santa asked me to say sorry because he is very busy and after handing out the prezzies, he turns up pissed a couple hours later ...

:lol: :lol:

:sniper::santa2:

:lol: It was indeed very much like that.

This year I think the bane of my existence is Parents ... after spending a couple hours buying little gifts for the kiddies, my partner and I decided that the boys between 6 and 9 would be given a pirate kit (spyglass, eye patch, hook and also a flintlock pistol) I jokingly mentioned to her that this would not be acceptible for those whose parents are PC !!!

:rolleyes: well it looks like one of the boys will not be a pirate. :(
Interestingly she suggested that the perfect gift for her 8 year old daughter would be a girly makeup kit, something I though would be more appropriate for someone a little older.

On the positive side, this year Santa will be arriving on the back of a ute (pickup truck for the yanks) :xbiggrin:

Fires are still strong in Tassie and also on the mainland Australia, the smoke haze is covering all of the state and already houses have been lost on our east coast :( ... my prediction of a dangerously explosive summer was one year off :eek: Sadly, most of our fires have been deliberately lit !!! [pissed]

Note ... Australia has many Eucalyptus trees which have evolved to propergate after a fire, so it is a natural cycle ... the problem becomes dangerous when the cycle is broken and fuel is allowed to accumulate.

Does the rest of the team have natural disasters that occur regularly in your corner of the world?

We do... but we call it winter.

New England, here - north eastern MA. We get the remnants of hurricanes in the late summer and fall, but they are usually just lots of rain.

Winter can give us nasty blizzards - sometimes with 2 feet of snow and 50 MPH winds. It slows things down a little. And we get the occasional tornado.

My house is in three disaster zones (earthquake, volcano, and flood), but we rarely actually have any disasters. The West Coast's just weird like that, I guess.

Sweden is traditionally spared of disasters, we're in a "calm" zone. Sure we have the occasional forest fire, more often than not planned, but nothing near the raging fires of Australia.

However, that tradition is no longer to be it seems. We've now had near-constant rain for over a month, our rivers are flooding and several suburbs of Göteborg have their centers (while lie near the rivers) beneath ~.5m of water. Luckily I don't live in any of the danger zones, but still...

@TLM: I love XKCD too - just brilliant!

Germany is only struck with flood disasters if a cancelor needs some opportunity to gain votes for a reelection... :rolleyes:

All forests had been cut after we didn't need them any more to trap roman legions. We just replanted trees in an appropriate distance to build autobahnen between them - that's too far for a fire to spread.:old:

So environmental problems we solved long ago - our catastrophies we are used to cause on our own - they are more of political, financial, social and sportive nature... :wallbash: :hammer2:

Top Bottom