[OT] Solution to the bumping problem

Meggafoxy

Chieftain
This is for people who are annoyed by older threads appearing on top. I see your point, this can be confusing, but did you know that you can rearrange posts by clicking on "Thread starter", "Last post" and so on? If you don't like the default order you can sort threads in different ways. I myself like to have them sorted by number of views in descending order.

That's true but in a huge subforum like this you'll never see the new topics (like this one). However I agree with you it is a very nice way to get useful information over a long time.:)

I don't see how this solves the problem at all. I want to see new posts, like every other forum on the planet...

I agree with Umarth. If people come on the subforum just to post on a couple of two-year old threads, then they won't post on the newer threads which are usually more relevant and where people are playing the latest version.

The problem isn't even exactly in the oldness of the threads, but in the oldness of the INFORMATION in those threads. They are about completely different versions. It's just plain DUMB and ANNOYING to reply to a thread whos information is totally obsolete, and whatever sorting threads method you use will not change it.

It appears that I have not explained myself well enough. All I'm saying is that the forum interface is very flexible. If you click on <My Account> and look into the user's options you will find this: <Default Thread Age Cut Off>, where you can specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown. I hope this solves your problem.

Meggafoxy have you at least tried that option before advertising it as a possible solution ? The age of thread refers to the last post in the thread. That's why bumping dead threads is something to avoid. Also, even if it worked that way, it wouldn't be a practical solution, since other old threads yet not dead threads wouldn't be displayed.

Please don't flame Dabur, he didn't know the netiquette.
Yeah, all this confusion is annoying, and most of the times the bump is useless, but sometimes it can provide something interesting and bring back here users not seen in months (like Rossiya)

Top Bottom