1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Split - One Year On

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Silurian, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Silurian

Silurian Deity

I posted this in IALS

It is one year since the split.
    What does everyone think.
    No talking about named posters.

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

The Chamber is a nice place for a nap.

3. Silurian

Silurian Deity

You should not drink so much when you go to the pub.;)

And if you are talking about CFC then whats the point of sleeping on your keyboard:)

4. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

I have never noticed a difference in quality between the Chamber and the Tavern. It simply seems as if there are more posts in the Tavern. What this means is that there was a goal (to create a formal and an informal forum for off-topic discussion) and this goal has not been reached. Leaving that aside, I also don't understand why we'd need two separate forums as if we need to tailor to each specific preference. You might as well steer the middle ground and have one forum which is not super formal but not a cesspool either and moderate it as you would any other forum on this site. Also, it's silly that we make two forums just for a lot of the same threads to be started in each and for those who participate in both forums it simply becomes confusing. "Was that thread in the forum or the tavern...?"

There should simply be one off topic section.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't think too many people really abuse the relaxed nature of the Tavern. Some do, but in the end that sort of behaviour doesn't really promote a good atmosphere where you can actually have some fun and exchange ideas, and I think a lot of people realize that.

People fool around and sometimes even screw around, but in the end maybe we should just be thankful that the mods have given us a place where we can be a tiny bit more libertarian than in the old system.

6. Carras Dad

Carras Dad Prince

dont say IT!

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Quote me:

8. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Well that was a happy read.

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

So how would the adjoining cocktail lounge fit into the bar fight analogy?

10. ace99

ace99 Deity

Can't speak for the split but I will say that these problems are nothing that couldn't be resolved by a small Soviet style purge of less than a handful of people.

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Preaching to the choir....

12. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

They're two halves of the same thing, I see no difference in posting or threads between the two.

Reunite the OT and end the War of Chamber Aggression.

13. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I second this.

14. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Part of the plan was to eventually merge some of the other Colosseum forums with the Tavern and the Chamber. Is that going to happen?

15. ace99

ace99 Deity

I'm willing to proffer my ignore list which can serve as a suitable starting point for the purge.

16. Silurian

Silurian Deity

The Chamber is like a nice little pub where the beer keeps running out.

So do the patrons put up with no beer or do they walk across the street and risk their beer getting knocked over in a bar fight.

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Does that mean the management should remedy the supply issues in the nice little pub (and if so, how?), or that they shouldn't be as tolerant of the drunks in the bigger bar?

If it's the latter, should the management just be ejecting those completely hammered, or should they not be as tolerant of those a getting a little tipsy and boisterous, and how should they draw the line between the two?

18. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

Here's an idea. Worry bout the state of the chamber instead. Seems the goody good goods don't suffice to make an argument interresting.

19. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

The chamber is certainly more quieter and there are far fewer spammier or rubbish posts (which is why I always seems to get moderated when I venture into it haha). Then again the state of the tavern is in decay with newly fangled terrible moderators which is threatening the harmony and social contract of the forum.
    I didn't like the split and I don't think the split has yielded the full benefits promised by the staff; so I think the exercise has been fruitless but whether you remerge or keep it seperate it won't really matter. I find that the quality of posters is the only real part of the forum, shoddy Kangaroo moderating is something which needs to be adressed too.

20. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

The moderation of the tavern has never been better imho.