OT Split - One Year On

I don't have much problem with the split, Just a few posters I don't like and one mod who seems to target quackers unduly. Birdj does a good job I think, tells posters to cool it before handing out bans or points.

People seem to be complaining the moderating is too lax now? The original reason for the split was alot of posters complaining the moderating was too strict. I thought it should be stricter, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

People seem to be complaining the moderating is too lax now? The original reason for the split was alot of posters complaining the moderating was too strict. I thought it should be stricter, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.
I don't claim to speak for anyone but me, but my problem wasn't that the moderation was "too strict", but that it was targeting form instead of content.
Someone can ignore any argument and be a blockhead and pollute every thread and won't be infracted, despite being extremely disruptive to the discussions.
But someone who just lash out (possibly at this very disruptive behaviour) will get an infraction, despite being much less disruptive.

Basically, the problem is that it reward annoying posters that respect superficial rules, and subtle trolls, rather than rewarding interesting participation.

I don't claim to speak for anyone but me, but my problem wasn't that the moderation was "too strict", but that it was targeting form instead of content.
Someone can ignore any argument and be a blockhead and pollute every thread and won't be infracted, despite being extremely disruptive to the discussions.
But someone who just lash out (possibly at this very disruptive behaviour) will get an infraction, despite being much less disruptive.

Basically, the problem is that it reward annoying posters that respect superficial rules, and subtle trolls, rather than rewarding interesting participation.

lashing out at someone is interesting participation? You must love some of my posts

I don't have much problem with the split, Just a few posters I don't like and one mod who seems to target quackers unduly. Birdj does a good job I think, tells posters to cool it before handing out bans or points.

I really don't think people in this thread have complained that moderation is too lax in a general sense. Most of the complaints have been specific. Of course there is a bit of 'I got banned and I didn't think it was fair!' kind of stuff going on but my own experiences with the mods lead me to believe that won't be taken seriously.

@Hobbs: I used JR as an example, not to create loopholes directed at him, but because he has a long history here and a very identifiable posting style that has gotten him into trouble now and again. He is an example of the complexity of moderating here. I also figured that he would not mind if I did use him as an example. And thank you for all your other points.

@All: I expect that we will post a survey to formalize your interest in change.

@Hobbs: I used JR as an example, not to create loopholes directed at him, but because he has a long history here and a very identifiable posting style that has gotten him into trouble now and again. He is an example of the complexity of moderating here. I also figured that he would not mind if I did use him as an example. And thank you for all your other points.

@All: I expect that we will post a survey to formalize your interest in change.

No problem, I'm glad I had time to contribute.

I kind of feel the same in that the points I was trying to make about JR weren't actually specific to him. I was trying to make the broader point that popularity contests can work both ways - to silence and unpopular user and to boost a popular one even if they do the same problematic actions. I even tried to illustrate that JR isn't a good comparison to the types of problem posters I was speaking of but I probably over did things as usual.

Edit: oh and sorry I repeated some points in my super-long post. I started in the morning, went to class and finished it several hours later. Even when I proofread it I missed obvious repeats.

When a poster is able to commit forum-seppuku and literally take over the forum with his spam no ban laid down simply because there were no mods online in OT for over 6 hours then you can say we have a problem with moderator activity. Are you guys addressing this problem?

And we've been talking about removing problem posters for as long as you guys have been releasing OT surveys. We still know who they are. You still have not removed them. I will continue saying as much as long as you the moderators fail to take the necessary action.

As Hobbs repeatedly stated in his lolwtf massive post of glorious victory those are the two problems. When the 4 problem posters do not stick their heads into a thread it can be unendingly interesting and fun to participate in. The instant they do the thread effectively becomes dead weight for me.

4 posters? I thought everyone was just talking about <snip> who are the other 3?

It really doesn't matter. Mods should focus on fixing problems, not problem posters. Sure the problems we are talking about may be because of a few posters, but any rules should apply equally to everyone and all should have chances to change their behavior. Of course, some posters have never changed their behavior in response to any corrective or disciplinary action and that's really how they got to be a problem. But that's their problem.

It really doesn't matter. Mods should focus on fixing problems, not problem posters. Sure the problems we are talking about may be because of a few posters, but any rules should apply equally to everyone and all should have chances to change their behavior. Of course, some posters have never changed their behavior in response to any corrective or disciplinary action and that's really how they got to be a problem. But that's their problem.

Can't you just stop reading those posts? I don't find <snip> much of a problem because I very rarely read his posts, I mean what compels you to reply hobbsyo, why do you seem to get so angry about it?

Can't you just stop reading those posts? I don't find <snip> much of a problem because I very rarely read his posts, I mean what compels you to reply hobbsyo, why do you seem to get so angry about it?
Please read my lolwtf massive post of glorious victory(tm). You're asking a question that's largely beside the points I made.

Please read my lolwtf massive post of glorious victory(tm). You're asking a question that's largely beside the points I made.

I'm not reading that again.

Top Bottom