OT Split - One Year On

It really doesn't matter. Mods should focus on fixing problems, not problem posters. Sure the problems we are talking about may be because of a few posters, but any rules should apply equally to everyone and all should have chances to change their behavior. Of course, some posters have never changed their behavior in response to any corrective or disciplinary action and that's really how they got to be a problem. But that's their problem.

How do you fix problems when the problems are the behavior of people, and you can't fix the people?

How do you fix problems when the problems are the behavior of people, and you can't fix the people?

You can by removing them after making it clear that certain aspects of their behavior need to change and will not be tolerated. The current system of bans and infractions hasn't worked and at some point you have to draw a line and say enough. What I mean is that instead of all focusing a specific poster as a target for banning, rather the behavior that is causing the issues should not be tolerated and if it continues then the user should go. The rules will apply to everyone, not just the problem poster and people who try and bait the problem poster should also be dealt with.

Yes, you're a master troll baiter. Got something else to contribute?

I meant how easy it is to ignore something. Still I think it's amusing we both consider each other nothing but trolls (although you could be saying I was baiting a troll which would be you acknowledging your trollish nature).

Can we just agree that most people are master baiters?

This whole debate has me completely mystified (which should come as no surprise to anyone, least of all me).

The only other forum I've ever "contributed" to does have moderators, but they never do anything like giving out infractions. All they ever do is try to answer questions that other people can't or won't answer. And, like CFC, everyone there puts up with me very well, as far as I can tell (though I'm a very intermittent poster).

As for who these four problem posters are... who are they? I surely hope I'm not one of them. But you've only got to say "Go!" and I'll go.

I can well guess one of them (I think). But I honestly don't know what the problem is. What is so hard about ignoring someone. It looks, to me, to be the most formidable weapon that a forum member has. And if someone else thinks it worth while responding to a "problem" poster, how is it they are a problem?

As for the OT Split, I don't understand that either. If the majority don't like the Chamber/Tavern divide, then simply stop posting in one or the other (presumbaly the Chamber) and the forum is reunited de facto, isn't it?

Still, ignore me. I'm used to it.

lashing out at someone is interesting participation? You must love some of my posts
No, lashing out is usually not interesting (though it can certainly be cathartic), but it can often be less disruptive than the reason why the person lost patience.

What I said is that the moderation based on form over content does less to encourage interesting conversation than to allow subtle trolls, not that lashing out is interesting :p
Can't you just stop reading those posts? I don't find <snip> much of a problem because I very rarely read his posts, I mean what compels you to reply hobbsyo, why do you seem to get so angry about it?
As it was said before in this very thread, saying "you can just ignore him" is easy, but it doesn't help until EVERYONE do it, and that never happens.

As for who these four problem posters are... who are they? I surely hope I'm not one of them. But you've only got to say "Go!" and I'll go.

I am absolutely sure it isn't you Borachio. I'm pretty sure it isn't me either, if only because I don't post enough to annoy anyone that much.

As it was said before in this very thread, saying "you can just ignore him" is easy, but it doesn't help until EVERYONE do it, and that never happens.

Well I don't see how you can punish the person for other peoples reactions, I mean I've made that arguement to mods in the past and they've ignored my objections that I was giving them the reaction they wanted so that poster should've thanked me and not report me.

Edit: Why are we snipping out his name, why beat around the bush? Good lord

Moderator Action: Oruc and Hobbs, the irony is palpable. Stop please. This is supposed to be a constructive conversation.

That only went down 4 hours ago, which plays into Owen's point.

Earlier I think BJ mentioned that there was mod discussion about what to do with inactive mods. I am curious why that is even a point of discussion; it just seems that if you go inactive for 6+ months you shouldn't keep your modship. Given that there are so few active mods, might it be time for new ones as well? Wouldn't that help with this?

That only went down 4 hours ago, which plays into Owen's point.

Earlier I think BJ mentioned that there was mod discussion about what to do with inactive mods. I am curious why that is even a point of discussion; it just seems that if you go inactive for 6+ months you shouldn't keep your modship. Given that there are so few active mods, might it be time for new ones as well? Wouldn't that help with this?
The problem is, who would the mod's ask to take those moderators' places? Even more important, who would agree? (From what I understand, there have been a few cases where people offered the job turn it down.)

Mods have to be (Revise that: "try to be") civil and not personally involved in forum ****storms, which is hard when most people are getting in on the free-for-alls. That's not to complain about free-for-alls, since I like them, but it makes finding unbiased users who are active in the subforum hard to do.

What about a category of moderators (call them Community Moderators or something) who aren't proper moderators but can use mod text to break up bickering? The only problem is that, lacking teeth, the bickerers might just ignore them. But then you can have the proper moderators levy greater sanctions on bickerers who ignore the Community Moderator (say, double the usual points, or a 5 day ban or something).

If the problem is lack of moderation, having toothless 'moderators' isn't going to solve any issues.

The problem is, who would the mod's ask to take those moderators' places? Even more important, who would agree? (From what I understand, there have been a few cases where people offered the job turn it down.)

Mods have to be (Revise that: "try to be") civil and not personally involved in forum ****storms, which is hard when most people are getting in on the free-for-alls. That's not to complain about free-for-alls, since I like them, but it makes finding unbiased users who are active in the subforum hard to do.

I agree it won't be easy finding new ones. But is it not worth trying? Couldn't they ask an active non-OTer to do it and let them lurk here for a while to show them the ropes before they officially go to work busting my balls?

What about a category of moderators (call them Community Moderators or something) who aren't proper moderators but can use mod text to break up bickering? The only problem is that, lacking teeth, the bickerers might just ignore them. But then you can have the proper moderators levy greater sanctions on bickerers who ignore the Community Moderator (say, double the usual points, or a 5 day ban or something).
It would still be pretty much the same problem: The 'bouncers' (It's Tavern, so it sort of fits.) might be biased with who they aim their mod text at.

I agree it won't be easy finding new ones. But is it not worth trying? Couldn't they ask an active non-OTer to do it and let them lurk here for a while to show them the ropes before they officially go to work busting my balls?
People who aren't active in OT probably wouldn't be interested in moderating it.

Mise thats a bit like my suggestion

Maybe the OP should be able to tell a poster not to post again on that page of the thread, not reply to a certain other poster for 24hrs, etc: the OP would have to give a reason. If they do make a post the OP or another person could report them and if found guilty the punishment would be harsher.

So gangleri2001 could make a post about no more posts about pokemon in his Catalan thread "Europe is the past".

They learn the ropes by reviewing recent reports. I have seen infractions handed out for posts made before the point giver became a moderator.

Here's an idea: make the forum pay-to-use, and if you're racist or stupid you get banned and lose your investment.

There are 2 distinct problems, both irrelevant to the split. The first is that there are a small handful of posters whose presence automatically kills off any interesting discussion. This was a problem before the split, and is still a problem after the split. These posters tend to be good at wrecking the discussion within the parameters of the rules, so they were rarely punished under the old moderation system. "Don't be a jerk" actually gives the moderators greater license to punish these individuals, but they don't seem to have any inclination to do so for whatever reason.

The second, and this is the bigger problem, is that less new members come to OT these days. The release of Civ5 brought an influx of new users to CFC, but OT's numbers have consistently been dropping for a long time now. This issue needs to be fixed too, otherwise regardless of the presence of those who destroy intelligent discussion this place will continue to lose members.

Top Bottom