1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Other civ's colours, too small for cities.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ishkinae, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Ishkinae

Ishkinae Chieftain

I'm noticing quite alot, other civ's colours showing up right in the way. Almost always on resources. But these blocks are too small to have cities in them, sometimes only two or three tiles long.
    Can anyone explain this, I have written in before to ask, but the response was that it was a city, only I couldn't see it due to espionage points. This time I have included a couple of screen shots.
    I would like to know how, so I can do it myself.

2. Civ4rulesTH

Civ4rulesTH Warlord

Well, it is a city, as far as I can tell.

It probably got settled after you first explored that area, send another unit to check the area out, and I bet a city will appear.

3. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

After you explored the area, Asoka & Saladin settled a city there.
    You need to re-explore the area to see the city. You have only discovered the edge of it.

4. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

You just need to refresh your knowledge of these areas by sending some units which will then see the cities. Also the Great Wall gives a pretty clear indication that Gilgamesh(?) has a city on the hill 2E of the horses in your first screenshot.

5. Balderstrom

Balderstrom Emperor

Or just buy their map. I've found the AI will almost always sell their map for 30-50 gold. I prefer to do this than do Map exchanges, especially after I've circumnavigated the globe and have explored and found all the extra habitable landmasses.

6. Ishkinae

Ishkinae Chieftain

How could a city be in the space of 3 tiles (including the resourse tile) ? Every city I have ever created had a minimum of 9 tiles, 1 tile surrounding my city.

xxx
    xOx
    xxx instead of xxx and 1 of the latter was a resourse ?

7. grumbler

grumbler Prince

The 'invisible' cities do have at least 9 tiles, you just don't have explored the 'inner' tiles since the city was built.

In you second image, move the worker north onto the hill and you'll see more of the cultural influence (and probably the city itself).

8. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

To be very clear, you do see that around your cities the tiles are lit up. To the North they are darker but you can still see vegetation (as opposed to black). There is a huge difference between being lit up and being darker. In the latter you cannot see what is going on from turn to turn. If someone is moving an army in your direction you will only be able to see it when it steps out into the lit up tiles. The vegetation you see there now is simply what was there when you last moved your unit around in that area. Since then the area can have been settled and the forest can have been chopped down. You will only see that when you start lighting up tiles, either by moving units over there or by increasing your cultural pressure.

(The only exception to the above is that you will see resources appear in darker areas as well, e.g. when you discover iron or horses, but that's it.)

9. Ishkinae

Ishkinae Chieftain

To Grumbler & Pumpkin
    I think I understand. I always assumed the map I had already explored earlier would refresh itself each turn. Is that why one's scouts are continually retracing explored territory ?

10. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

No, maps don't refresh themself. And that's indeed one of the reasons the AI sends scouts/explorers around on a continuous basis if it has the chance.

11. grumbler

grumbler Prince

No, it doesn't. (Only for tiles with LoS: adjanced to own territory or units; espionage-given; plus the resource exception mentioned by Pumpkin)

Probably. (I hardly ever set my scouts to autoexplore.)

12. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

LoS=line of sight, tiles that you are effectively monitoring from turn to turn. Those tiles that are 'lit' up.

The aspect we are talking about here (LoS tiles vs. previously explored but currently darker tiles) is very important when it comes to fighting off barbarians. The most efficient defense against barbs is to take the fight against them to outside your borders.

If you can afford to move units out of the cities without getting happines penalties, move archers on to hills a few tiles outside your borders. Or whichever unit you want, one per hill in a ring outside your borders just where your cultural line of sights ends. This will give you extra line of sight in that direction and effectively forcing the barbs to spawn further away from your empire. You will see them early on as they come close and you have the time to build units to deal with them rather than being surprised by them when they show up almost already inside your empire.

If you place axemen on the hills (my preferrence) then you can also easily step down from the hill to attack the barbs when they try to pass you by. The weaker archer is not so good for this.

(The reason of course for placing units on hills - rather than on flat land or in forests - is that from a hill you can see further (just as IRL) and your line of sight increases.)

13. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

:agree:, only that my preferred fog busters are Sentry promoted Chariots which can "light up" a maximum of 49 tiles!

14. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

Yes, that is actually better. I should use chariots more often... :blush:

And Ishkinae, you could do well to settle a city 3 tiles East of New York, inorder to claim those floodplains and diminish the distances between cities in your empire. Eventually you'll have to whip some Saladin-butt as well so do not take the risk that he settles the area before you and isolates New York from your other cities.

15. Ishkinae

Ishkinae Chieftain

Thanks Pumpkin, I will try that.
    I think 1 of my problems with the game is I try to take too big a bite of the land that I want, putting my initial cities on the outer edge, leaving a void in the middle