1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Other civs you want to see...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by slapshot2119, Oct 16, 2012.

1. slapshot2119

slapshot2119 Chieftain

Utilizing your own advantages is obviously the top priority. However, I've found that having certain AI civs on the map can provide further enhancing benefits. While you can't choose who else is there and therefore can't create a strategy around it, being able to identify and capitalize on these opportunities when they present themselves can be very beneficial, so I thought I' share my observations about which AI civs I like to see, and am interested if there's any other benefits that I may not have noticed:

1.)Williiam(Netherlands) - Conquer him for incredible polder-filled lands. You have your own UA, UB, and UU, but when you can add a few cities with 4/1/2 or 5/1/3 super-tiles in addition to the resource tiles that they have, it's like having a 2nd unique ability.
    2.)Pachachuti(Inca) - same as above, but to a lesser extent. Still, there may be a hilly area of the map that a non-Incan civ couldn't do much with as it wouldn't grow. If Inca builds a city there and terrace farms it up, you can conquer and acquire a nice production city.
    3.)Gustavus(Sweden)- pretty obvious: play nice with him and you get 10% more great people.
    4.)Nebuchadnezzar(Babylon)- while he sometimes bulbs, you can sometimes get a city with a free academy during BC times
    5.)Pacal(maya) - while he doesn't provide a UI or ability like the above mentioned civs, I still include him because he seems to have the coolest head (no pun intended). I've never had him DoW me, once you establish friendship, nothing seems to bother him. Whether you build a bunch of cities or even if you go on a genocide spree. Often in Dom games, I'm getting late game RA's with him when everyone else is "guarded" (well, or extinct...)

2. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

As a more peaceful player, I like to see the civs that I can always count on having a strong economy. If I see the Dutch and the Arabs in-game I know that I will always have someone to trade my luxuries with.

3. CivilizedPlayer

CivilizedPlayer Warlord

Haha I laughed at "the coolest head".

Well, more to the point, I love having the Mongols on my border. I know, they can really mess with your game plan. But they give me an excuse to have a massive military, and they spice things up a bit. And "be sausage man" never gets old;)

4. Petiscator

Petiscator King

I like meeting Theodora. She greets you not as Neutral (as most guys) nor as Hostile (as our dear friend Alex) but as Friendly, and for me, she is usually my BFF in all games. If I find her on the map, I know she will DoF within the next 30 turns, pretty sweet when playing Sweden. Usually a good trading partner and nice for research agreements. Of all my games, she was my enemy only a single time (but she was 7 tiles away from my Moscow, so it was inevitable), and I've been seeing her in many games.

5. CultureManiac

CultureManiac Prince

IIRC, you can select specific opponents from the advanced setup screen.

6. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

She bugs the snot out of me since she wonderspams like crazy. You're right, you have to go out of your way to turn her against you but I really don't like it when one civ eats up all the wonders. I'm not addicted to building wonders or anything but I do like to get a few that will help me towards my VC here and there. Byzantium, Polynesia and Egypt just annoy me because of this even though they tend to be peaceful.

Arabia is good since he'll generally have lots of money to spend on your luxuries and later in the game he usually has a surplus of luxuries for you to trade for if you find yourself needing the happiness. I do like to see a warmongering civ like the Aztecs, Germany or Mongolia since it's really easy to turn the other civs against them even to the point where you can actually start to invade them without hurting your standing with other civs. Although I really dislike Alex because he'll buy out CSs like mad and that gets really annoying since you pretty much can't keep any CS allies if he's in an immortal or deity game.

This one is going to sound funny but Denmark is actually one of my favorite civs to bump into. I seem to have had more mutually beneficial relationships with Harald than almost any other civ. He's not as warcrazy as Monty or Bismarck but he will generally tolerate more warmongering from you than other AIs. He'll usually go wide so he almost always has money for you to trade for and sign RAs with. It's wierd I know but I honestly can't remember being on the wrong side of him in the early game ever. Of course in a dom game there can only be one winner so eventually one of us usually stabs the other in the back.

I also have to agree with Slapshot's top 4 for pretty much the same reasons. Pacal...meh I could care less. Actually I'm not that big a fan of seeing him since he's one of those civs that will usually beat you to a pantheon and, more often than not, religion as well.

Kind of on the same topic, has anybody ever noticed a wierd coincidence in the "random" choices for civs? It seems like whenever I play as Babylon, Korea will pop up in my game. If I choose to play England on an archipelago the Ottomans will be one of the first civs I meet. It's just dumb luck but sometimes it seems all too coincidental.

7. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

China because they turtle and will leave you alone and Egypt because they give more money.

8. Priah77

Priah77 Chieftain

There are certain civs that really need to be taken out on deity or youre likely going to lose out on a science victory... for instance, india and mayan should not be allowed to live.

Ive actually run into problems where Ive let these civs live to long for the RA's and even though my military was far superior at first they've eventually outteched me to make it too difficult to take them out :(

That being said, I agree with the Arab statement. China in my games... tends to go around doing a lot of denouncing, so ill either form a DOF group around china or against china. Sweden I think, is your best bet overall, he loves to DOF everyone and doesnt really tech too hard.

9. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

there are more civs I hate to see than love to see. In general, I like to see fairly balanced civs with loyal leaders.

Ideally, a game goes like this:

Everyone is friendly with each other, outside of a few wars.
    Someone starts to be a jerk, likely over a war, and gets chain denounced.
    That civ is eliminated.
    Taker of the last city becomes unforgivable warmonger, and, thus, chain denounced.
    That civ is eliminated.
    Repeat until only I and another civ with a coastal capital are left standing.
    Snipe capital for the win.

It takes some doing to ensure your next target becomes that unforgivable warmonger and a civ with a coastal city is the one left.

However, balanced civs will generally help the cause, while someone too aggressive or passive is likely to throw the whole thing off balance.

10. Valvitec

Valvitec Chieftain

I usually like to meet up with China on most games. They tend to be (At least for me anyway) a very loyal friend. I was recently playing as Denmark and I got denounced by Siam, Greece, and Japan due to the fact I was wedged in and already bordered all three nations by turn 20 and they didn't like me settling in new areas. And for some reason, China was the only nation the stood by my side and helped me and a three front war. They weren't that helpful, but whatever. China just seems to be warming up to me lately.

11. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

Egypt! 'Free' wonders and more plunder money then usual.

Arabia: they'll always have plenty lux to trade.