Other Enjoyable Civilization V Games (Immortal and below)

I do enjoy these games, so I thought I'd make a contribution. I present you with:

OECG#81: Attila the Shepherd

This game has a magnificent start for the Huns, with 6 pasture resources around your capital. That many extra hammers is like having King Solomon's mines. You've also got 4 ocean resources so either God of the Open Sky or God of the Sea are tempting pantheons. The game is Emperor, Large Islands and Quick paced. Domination victory is disabled and I encourage you to play as pacifist as possible. My only war was approaching the endgame when a civ declared war on me after two of his cities revolted and joined the Hunnic empire.

ATS start.png ATS victory.png

Attachments

• ATS_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    509.7 KB · Views: 29
I do enjoy these games, so I thought I'd make a contribution. I present you with:

OECG#81: Attila the Shepherd

This game has a magnificent start for the Huns, with 6 pasture resources around your capital. That many extra hammers is like having King Solomon's mines. You've also got 4 ocean resources so either God of the Open Sky or God of the Sea are tempting pantheons. The game is Emperor, Large Islands and Quick paced. Domination victory is disabled and I encourage you to play as pacifist as possible. My only war was approaching the endgame when a civ declared war on me after two of his cities revolted and joined the Hunnic empire.

View attachment 631259 View attachment 631260

I just finished a game as Attila with domination victory disabled. I set it up so it would be really crowded (small pangaea map with 2 extra civs) and it was very violent. Good times. :lol: A couple of neighbors declared a joint war on me, and my 3 or 4 highly promoted horse archers just ripped their units to shreds, even riflemen and Gatling guns. I had muskets and crossbows and cannons too, but the horse archers did most of the damage.

I played most of #81 last night; finished it up today. That's an awesome start but a little slow to get ramped up. First thing I built was a monument and just explored with my warrior because of the map type. In hindsight, maybe my first build should have been a worker to get those pastures online sooner. I got beat to most of the early wonders I tried (I did get Stonehenge, Mausoleum, and Petra) and I was about 10 techs behind going into the Renaissance. But then I zoomed ahead, and soon I got any wonder I wanted. I did full Tradition, several policies in Exploration, full Rationalism, Freedom ideology, and finished Exploration. Then Commerce but I don't think I finished it before winning a science victory. I played mostly peaceful and was friends with everybody for most of the game (even if they had a different ideology) but eventually everyone started denouncing Gandhi and he backstabbed (denounced) me. When several AI's asked me to join them in a war with India right after he'd built Prora I said gimme 10 turns to prepare and I built a few submarines and promoted my frigates to battleships and privateers to destroyers. Delhi was a powerful city and my 3 battleships took a long time to wear it down; occasionally one of the other AI's would decide to attack Delhi after I had weakened it, and I would back off and heal my units and let theirs get killed, then I would resume. Eventually I captured it and then took another huge Indian city in the peace deal; I think it was Mumbai. I burned it down, mainly because I'm Attila and that's what I do :D While I was building spaceship parts, the AI's were continuing their beat-down on India.

The game was lots of fun, just like the Huns game I played on my own a few days ago.

20220617143105_1.jpg 20220617142839_1.jpg

BTW, Calcutta was one of the cities I founded, not an Indian intruder on my island.

I played number 81 over the past few days and I decided to go for a very odd sort of victory this game, one that I had not tried before. Despite having almost no iron for frigates, with 2 on my starting Island, I decided to try a naval conquest game combined with a culture game. I did this by killing off as many people as I could, taking their great works in the process, allowing me to achieve one of my personal favorite wins, culture vic without aesthetics. My win came primarily through meleeing privateers into cities, capturing ai frigates and galleasing cities, until I captured the last needed city around t175 and I waited for victory. Due to cultural heritage sites and MANY stolen great works, my capital had 24 great works and almost 200 tourism by the end with just a hotel. I probably could've done a peaceful game faster, or this game faster had I actually annexed cities and microed, but I wanted to try privateering cities so this seemed like the most fun approach. Although this was definitely not the intended victory strategy for this game, I was glad to try it and happy that I could pull it off without even a single battleship, although I had some subs by the end b/c subs come at hotel tech. Oddly, since I didn't feel like annexing and microing all of my captured cities, I ended the game with some 21,000 gold from pillaging cities, capturing cities, privateer gold, and an excellent economy to boot. Very fun game, for once I abused the heck out of faster city razing, and for probably the first time ever it felt like an amazing bonus.

Attachments

• Screenshot (121).png
    Screenshot (121).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot (122).png
    Screenshot (122).png
    423.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot (123).png
    Screenshot (123).png
    503.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot (124).png
    Screenshot (124).png
    507.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot (125).png
    Screenshot (125).png
    956.2 KB · Views: 42
OECG#82: Only Oda was misplaced

Hi there, this time I present a game with a civ that has not been included in this thread before, namely Songhai. This should be quick and easy as we play on Emperor on a small Fractal map. It took me a couple of hours to win a t195 CV but you can definitely go in any direction here. And of course we have a Salt start. ;) Enjoy!

Attachments

• FEAskia_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    860.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 8930_20220730193046_1.png
    8930_20220730193046_1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 8930_20220730192944_1.png
    8930_20220730192944_1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

Hi there, this time I present a game with a civ that has not been included in this thread before, namely Songhai. This should be quick and easy as we play on Emperor on a small Fractal map. It took me a couple of hours to win a t195 CV but you can definitely go in any direction here. And of course we have a Salt start. ;) Enjoy!

I don't play Culture very often, so I went that way. I played peacefully; 3 cities, and got a CV on turn 282. (It took a long time and 3 great musicians to overtake France.) Tradition, Aesthetics, Rationalism, Freedom, Exploration opener mainly to unlock Louvre, and Commerce. I had a great prophet not doing anything, I should have converted 4 of the French cities with him; that would have sped things up.

Unique abilities (both the triple gold and the "war canoes") really helped in the early game dealing with barbs for profit and CS influence.

Attachments

• 20220803191842_1.jpg
    20220803191842_1.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Culture victory on 227. The impact of the Mud Pyramid culture was a lot bigger than I expected, and so I added +2 culture from temples as my second follower belief. I founded two nearby cities, and one down near Paris, which Napoleon surprisingly hadn't claimed. My strong culture meant I filled out the Patronage tree, and gained a couple of Merchants of Venice, one of which was spent on Hong Kong. France and Japan kept telling me the other had plans to invade, which never happened. They didn't like each other either, so never got around to teaming up on me, so I had an entirely peaceful game.

Attachments

• oeg82.png
    oeg82.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
OECG#83: "Haven't I seen you before?"
Here's an interesting game I just played as Venice at King level. Small small-continents map, quick pace, raging barbs. I was going simultaneously for science and culture, but somehow I had more than enough votes for a diplo victory on turn 287 and I grabbed it. The starting location is pretty good, but don't try to OCC it because there are very few places to send your trade routes; you'll need at least one puppet city. The map was randomly generated but the four AIs were hand-picked. (I reduced the number of civs by one to balance the game a little; you'll see why, if it's not obvious from the hints)

1660231561846.png
20220811123826_1.jpg

Attachments

• Enrico Dandolo_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    462.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OECG#83: "Haven't I seen you before?"
That *was* interesting. And it was a surprise. Diplomatic victory on turn 254, mostly by making sure there were no city states left in the game that others could get votes from. Globalization also helped.

Attachments

• oeg83.png
    oeg83.png
    3 MB · Views: 26
That *was* interesting. And it was a surprise. Diplomatic victory on turn 254, mostly by making sure there were no city states left in the game that others could get votes from. Globalization also helped.
Spoiler :
When I played it I was trying to preserve city states, so I would have someplace to send trade missions. The other Venices were buying them up as fast as they could, but eventually they stopped, probably for the same reason I did (I only bought one.) I'm not sure how I had enough votes for victory; I did steal the Forbidden Palace from one of my doppelgangers, but I did not have any from Globalism and I had 16 votes with 13 required. I think there were 3 or 4 CS's left and I was allied to all of them.

What prompted this is I wondered what the city names would be if there was more than one Venice in the game. It was purely an accident that it turned out to be a good game.

Last edited:
I just played number 83 to a turn 222 diplo win, although that should've been 12 turns earlier, as I didn't realize that globalization votes only counted if you got the tech the turn before the vote, which I could've managed but didn't. This was a fun game, I ended up puppeting the 2 cs near me and going for monument to the gods, tithe, divine inspiration and religious community to maximize my late game scientist generation. I got an absurd number of policies and I kept allying cs, but the ais continuously tried to either puppet or ally my cs, forcing me to spend thousands of gold keeping them onside. I probably could've won culture much earlier or won science around this same time had I focused on them, but I was having a good time getting faith and culture from all of my wonder builds.

Attachments

• Screenshot (129).png
    Screenshot (129).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot (130).png
    Screenshot (130).png
    795.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot (131).png
    Screenshot (131).png
    954.8 KB · Views: 24
Here's a random game that I lost last night, and I almost never lose at Emperor level. Maybe y'all can do better. The start is good. The terrain is interesting and there's a natural wonder that you don't see very often.

I got bogged down in a quagmire with one of the AIs that everybody hated but nobody would do anything about (he DOW'd me, BTW). I beat him back and took a couple of cities but not the capital. Meanwhile another AI far away that I couldn't do anything about built all the culture wonders and even tho' I got to Internet first and build the Great Firewall, they still got a culture victory. (I thought I was just out of danger there and could get a science or diplo victory.) I'm not going to say anymore because that's probably too many spoilers already. I'm going to try it again; make sure I build a coastal city this time, and also see if I can take out that annoying neighbor before they build the Great Wall. I also had poor luck recruiting barbs; I took out lots of encampments but only got one handaxe and a brute.

20220909105157_1.jpg

Edit: I played it again. Liberty this time instead of Tradition, and I got 5 cities out there very quickly. It went *much* better. :)

Attachments

• Bismarck_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    467.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OECG#84: Red paint
Hi there, this time we are playing as Austria on an unmodded Pangaea map with standard size and standard pace. The level is Immortal. Where to settle and what CS's to annex and what AI capitals to conquer. There are some questions for you to figure out. Go in any direction and have fun!

Attachments

• IPMaria Theresa_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    707.4 KB · Views: 15
  • oecg84austriastart.png
    oecg84austriastart.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • oecg84austriat297win.png
    oecg84austriat297win.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
OECG#85: Put the scolars to work

Here comes the next challenge. This time we play as Korea on an unmodded Continents map with standard size and quick speed. The level is Emperor. You can go in any direction but you must be at least 20 techs ahead of the best AI when the game ends! This will give some sort of challenge even to more advanced players. In my game I ended up 31% ahead of the best AI, this is equivalent to exactly 25 techs (72 vs. 47). And thus I won a CV on t196. This game will hopefully get you to think in slightly new circles about what to do. Enjoy!

Attachments

• CESejong_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    752 KB · Views: 16
  • oecg85korea25techsahead.png
    oecg85korea25techsahead.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 22
  • oecg85koreat196win.png
    oecg85koreat196win.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • oecg85koreastart.png
    oecg85koreastart.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
I just finished OECG#85 a half hour ago. Science victory on turn 239. I'm also on the verge of a culture victory. I have 80 techs and the next closest (Brazil) has 56. Let me reload my last save and take some screenshots...

20220930213536_1.jpg 20220930213505_1.jpg

It's about time to JOMT and start some wars ;)

OECG#85: Put the scolars to work

Science victory on turn 211. I had 78 techs, next closest was China on 51. Entirely peaceful run through, and I'm not sure the AI even declared war on each other.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
OECG#86: Rough´n´roll

This time we play as the Incas on a Frontier map with standard size and standard speed. The level is Emperor. As you probably all know the land mass on this type of maps is rather big and AIs will, even on Emperor, spread like the plague. Thus 4 city Tradition will simply not do. But to make this run a little bit more complicated you have to achieve the following subgoals:
- You are not allowed to be unhappy for more than two consequtive turns at any given time
- Your empire must have at least 90 million inhabitants at the end of the game
- At some point during the game you much reach 2.000 science per turn
- You must have at least 8 cities at the end of the game and
- You must have at least 6 CS allies at the end of the game.

I hope this will spice it up a little. I had 10 cities with a total of 107 million people when I launched on t315 and I peaked at 2.153 science per turn. I am sure you will do it better. Enjoy!

Attachments

• oecg86incastart.png
    oecg86incastart.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • oecg86incat315win.png
    oecg86incat315win.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • FrEPachacuti_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    726.8 KB · Views: 15
I just finished OECG#86. It was a fun game. Early on (Classical era, I think) my happiness dropped to -2 for more than 2 turns; about 3 or 4 turns if I recall. I kept going. Science victory on turn 399. I built all the spaceship parts by hand rather than buying a couple because my production was so good, and I finished the whole tech tree while waiting for the last 2 parts to build. :lol: I only settled 7 cities because I expected to take at least one from a neighbor but that never happened. (actually it did shortly after I JOMT'd) I could have settled one more crappy city just to make 8, but since I'd already blown the challenge on the happiness I didn't bother. I did Tradition opener, full Liberty, finished Tradition, full Rationalism, Freedom, then Commerce. (I wonder if Order might have been better for this one?) Perhaps I should have finished Tradition before going into Liberty because there was no real urgency to get the cities planted, it was just important to get them eventually to keep Hiawatha from grabbing all the land. I might try it again; settle in the same spots but at least get to Monarchy before switching to Liberty (I was having gold problems as well as happiness at that point in the game.) I did have a coastal city but it was blocked by ice. There was a spot for a coastal "snow city" to the southwest that might have been good for an eighth, so I could buy a couple of caravels and explore the oceans and have some sea trade routes. (I did explore with a submarine)

It was a fun game. My final population was 122 million and my science was 2074:
20221005154209_1.jpg20221005154154_1.jpg

Just finished number 86.

There was a lot more space on that map than I was expecting. I don't think I've played that map type before. Diplomatic victory on turn 318. My version of EUI messes around with the numbers a bit, so I'm not certain I hit the population required, though I suspect I did. Founded my 9th city very close to the endgame, because I can never resist settling GBR, which was only revealed to me once I'd discovered satellites.

The thing I was most pleased of in this game was manoevering a worker into the middle of some mountains by letting open borders expire. My biggest disappointment was that that area was three tiles big and not just one.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 1.png
    1.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
OECG#87 Smooth and sweet

This time (as almost always) the start is very good and it will set you up for a nice game regardless of which direction you choose. We play as America on a Fractal map with standard size and quick pace. The difficulty level is Emperor. This has to be one of the easier tasks in this thread. Enjoy!

It took me until t185 to win a CV and that without using any Great Musicians. I hope you will have an equally relaxed game.

Attachments

• FEWashington_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    870.4 KB · Views: 13
  • oecg87americastart.png
    oecg87americastart.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • oecg87americat185win.png
    oecg87americat185win.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Top Bottom