Other games in Civ VI forum

Vandlys

King
I recently noticed that someone made a remark concerning a patch for Civ V has not been issued yet, even though it had been promised ages ago. This was as a reply to someone stating that the development of Civ VI's promised features was taking so long.

A mod immediately pointed out, deservedly so, that this was not the forum to post complaints about Civ V.

But that made me think of the topic of Humankind, that got its own special thread in the Civ VI forum, and now I spotted an Oldworld thread too.

Why is this allowed when we have a special "other games" forum for it?

Please be consistent, and thank you for your clarification.

There are some threads that are of interest to many of our members and moving them too soon to the Other Civ-Related Games forum would not be in their interest as they would most likely never see it. What then happens is that there are references in other threads, derailing them, as members tell those who do not know about those thread about them.

We left Humankind in the Civ6 forum, limiting it to a single thread, as it was of interest to our members. Once more information started coming out, we moved it to Other Civ-Related Games so the discussions could expand and more threads could be started. By that time, most members knew it existed and moved easily to the Other Civ-Related Games forum.

Now Soren Johnson, Lead Designer of Civilization IV, is designing a new game titled Old World and we plan to treat it exactly as we did Humankind.

There are some threads that are of interest to many of our members and moving them too soon to the Other Civ-Related Games forum would not be in their interest as they would most likely never see it. What then happens is that there are references in other threads, derailing them, as members tell those who do not know about those thread about them.

We left Humankind in the Civ6 forum, limiting it to a single thread, as it was of interest to our members. Once more information started coming out, we moved it to Other Civ-Related Games so the discussions could expand and more threads could be started. By that time, most members knew it existed and moved easily to the Other Civ-Related Games forum.

Now Soren Johnson, Lead Designer of Civilization IV, is designing a new game titled Old World and we plan to treat it exactly as we did Humankind.

Thanks for explaining your (plural) method. I do see the reasoning behind it, but shouldn't we (as a forum) and you (plural, mods, arbiters, etc.) then try to promote the other corners of our forums more, if the fear is that people will otherwise not see them? To be honest this just seems like there isn't a transparant method and it sends a conflicting message. If I'd been warned that Civ V was off-topic I would accept the warning, but then if I saw Otherworld or Humankind be allowed (even if only for a couple of months) I'd be quite frustrated. I might be unique in that, I don't know. It just feels inconsistent, even arbitrary.

Truth be told, I wouldn't know an easy solution for the problem, as I don't know the first thing about designing and/or managing a forum, but I just felt I wanted to draw your attention to this and see if there was at least some reasoning behind it. Now I know, and I thank you :)

It seems to me that we are promoting other parts of the forum by making members aware they are there by moving maturing games to them. There are Civilization related topics that do not neatly fit into the categories the forum has created. It seems to me that some flexibility in how we operate the forums is the best answer and best serves our membership.

Keep in mind that we have had a complete suite of forums dedicated to Civ V for the past 10 years. This is in marked contrast to newly announced games that may be of interest to Civ players, where a single “incubation” thread in the forum for the then-current Civ game (now Civ VI of course) is a user-friendly alternative to immediately relegating those discussions to Other Civ-Related Games.

Top Bottom