Other Suggestions

Honestly, I think that fewer hammers to build (Karolin) is a much bigger advantage that 1 extra movement (Muskateer).

There are other UUs in Gold that are cheaper to build but they are also weaker. Karolin has the best of both worlds. You can much more quickly build a group of 5-6 gunpowder units to overwhelm the enemy. The French may get there before the Swedes, but the Swedes will be arriving in larger numbers.

Hey Wyz... why the change in the Diplomacy Music for canada? I hate the new stuff. It sounds like vienanese opera music... certainly not canadian music which what we heard b4. Kinda dissapointed. Talk to me let me make new stuff for you if you didn't like the previous stuff.. but the new stuff has got to go.

purplexus said:
Hey Wyz... why the change in the Diplomacy Music for canada? I hate the new stuff. It sounds like vienanese opera music... certainly not canadian music which what we heard b4. Kinda dissapointed. Talk to me let me make new stuff for you if you didn't like the previous stuff.. but the new stuff has got to go.

I wasn't aware of any new stuff in the mod. One of our users made a new music pack, but I haven't integrated it into the mod yet.

Is this in 3.0?? I'd have to check because I didn't...oh! I know what it is - your music pack is in the Canada Mod but I have not added any new music to Gold (only unit sounds). So what you're hearing is just some generic Civ music.

We'll integrate the full music pack - which includes your for Canada - into the next mod.

Wyz_sub10 said:
I wasn't aware of any new stuff in the mod. One of our users made a new music pack, but I haven't integrated it into the mod yet.

Is this in 3.0?? I'd have to check because I didn't...oh! I know what it is - your music pack is in the Canada Mod but I have not added any new music to Gold (only unit sounds). So what you're hearing is just some generic Civ music.

We'll integrate the full music pack - which includes your for Canada - into the next mod.

Okay.. good to hear. I thought it was well done so glad to hear my efforts weren't wasted.

I was thinking about Byzantium’s UU, the Tagmata is good, but what about a Greek Fire Ship, it could replace the Trireme, someone would have to do an animation for it shooting fire. Greek Fire is considered one of the reasons why Byzantium had such military success for such a long time.

Hi. I'm new here but I have a suggestion. I don't know how well it would work, but worth a shot. How about a thread with links to other mods that are based off of Civ Gold?

I absolutely love the idea of Civ Gold and agree that its scope should be limited to new civilizations and civilization-dependent units. The simplicity (in concept) is its strength. But there are some other mods out there that add to other aspects of the game (I particularly like new resources). It would be nice to see some of the mods that are based off of Civ Gold.

Hi. I'm new here but I have a suggestion. I don't know how well it would work, but worth a shot. How about a thread with links to other mods that are based off of Civ Gold?

I absolutely love the idea of Civ Gold and agree that its scope should be limited to new civilizations and civilization-dependent units. The simplicity (in concept) is its strength. But there are some other mods out there that add to other aspects of the game (I particularly like new resources). It would be nice to see some of the mods that are based off of Civ Gold.

You mean like this one? :D

I may be alone in this, but Alexander (and now Philip II) being listed as a leader of Greece has long been a thorn in my side. He may have largely adopted Greek culture, but the Macedonian League also introduced a few non-Greek elements into the mix iirc, particularly in the military. (Didn't they use a lot more cavalry?) I'd really like to see Alex and Philip split off into a new Macedonian culture - Companion cavalry FTW! - possibly with a new second leader for Greece. (Themistokles?)

Also, I really miss Sapa-Inca Pachacuti Inca-Yupanqui from C3C; I think it's just shameful that they relegated him to the status of Great General with his glowing bio. If kept true to the bio they gave him in C3C, I'd probably call him Creative and...Imperialistic? Militaristic? Aggressive? Something in that area.

Btw, huge kudos for splitting the "Native American" culture up; while I'd say in the normal game it's something of an unhappy medium between realism and game-balance, in a mod like this, it's definitely called for. *headtilt* And now that I think about it, for a long time I've batted around the idea of adding a Navajo (or more properly, Diné) culture; my main hangups have been finding an appropriate leader and UU for them. I've always thought that the fact that they're one of the few (if not the only) native tribes to have successfully negotiated with the US government and thus managed to remain pretty much intact and even to some extent flourish was worthy of recognition.

Feel free to PM/email/whatever me, especially if you need a sounding-board.

I may be alone in this, but Alexander (and now Philip II) being listed as a leader of Greece has long been a thorn in my side. He may have largely adopted Greek culture, but the Macedonian League also introduced a few non-Greek elements into the mix iirc, particularly in the military. (Didn't they use a lot more cavalry?) I'd really like to see Alex and Philip split off into a new Macedonian culture - Companion cavalry FTW! - possibly with a new second leader for Greece. (Themistokles?)

You're not alone in this. Actually, one of our contributors made the same suggestion - move Alexander and Philip II to a new Macedonia, and create Greece with Leonidas or whoever.

After discussing with the team we've decided to preserve the status quo for a couple of reasons:

1 - Since Civ I, Greece has been a civ with Alexander at the helm. It's so well entrentched now that I don't think the community at large would support this change

2 - As with other civs in the game (and certainly in Gold), "Greece" is not strictly Greece, per se, but represents the Greek civilization in a broader context - same with India and China in the game, and to an extent the Celts, Babylonians and Sumerians

This doesn't shut the door on looking into this further. But for right now we've decided to keep Alexander with Greece.

Also, I really miss Sapa-Inca Pachacuti Inca-Yupanqui from C3C; I think it's just shameful that they relegated him to the status of Great General with his glowing bio. If kept true to the bio they gave him in C3C, I'd probably call him Creative and...Imperialistic? Militaristic? Aggressive? Something in that area.

We're adding leaders by the dozens in 4.0. I think a 2nd Incan leader is a fine idea. I'll look into it but our timelines are tight!

Btw, huge kudos for splitting the "Native American" culture up; while I'd say in the normal game it's something of an unhappy medium between realism and game-balance, in a mod like this, it's definitely called for. *headtilt* And now that I think about it, for a long time I've batted around the idea of adding a Navajo (or more properly, Diné) culture; my main hangups have been finding an appropriate leader and UU for them. I've always thought that the fact that they're one of the few (if not the only) native tribes to have successfully negotiated with the US government and thus managed to remain pretty much intact and even to some extent flourish was worthy of recognition.

Thanks!

When 4.0 is released, there will be 10 different North American culture groups. These groups are not defined strictly by biology (i.e. the naDene that includes Apache and Arctic Dene, or a group that includes the Iroquois and Cherokee). Rather, the groupings are geographic as a way or representing groups that shared similarities in practice. It also paints a "what if" picture of these tribes in a larger context.

The two distinct nations are the Sioux and the Iroquois.

Joining them are:

- Dinnehih (Navajo, Apache, Hopi) (LH: Geronimo, Cochise, UU: Codetalker)
- Upaajut (Inuit, Dene, Yakut) (LH: Thanadelthur, UU: Qiimuksit)
- Tillikum (Chinook, Haida, Bella Coola) (LH: Skitigeit, UU: Noseepsk)
- Vo'estaneo'o (Cheyenne, Blackfoot, Metis) (LH: Riel, UU: Dog Soldier)
- Aniyonega (Cherokee, Seminole) (LH: Osceola, UU: Ayastigi)
- Ni-Mii-Pu (Nez Perce) (LH: Chief Joseph, UU: War Chief)
- Piliwni (Mojave) (LH: Wovoka, UU: damn...escapes me right now)
- Anishnaabek (Ojibwe, Cree, Shawnee) (LH: Donnacona, Tecumseh, UU: Ogichidaa)

The one leaderhead I have sort of been waiting for, and I have seen discussed but never made on these forums...Would be Henry VIII. I know balance might be an issue as England would have 4 leaders (although it looks as though Russia will have FIVE leaders in CivGold 4.0), but that would be interesting.

Perhaps he could be ready for the "terrible" leaders add-on...He wasn't a big fan of Roman Catholics, after all. :mischief:

You're not alone in this. Actually, one of our contributors made the same suggestion - move Alexander and Philip II to a new Macedonia, and create Greece with Leonidas or whoever.

After discussing with the team we've decided to preserve the status quo for a couple of reasons:

1 - Since Civ I, Greece has been a civ with Alexander at the helm. It's so well entrentched now that I don't think the community at large would support this change

2 - As with other civs in the game (and certainly in Gold), "Greece" is not strictly Greece, per se, but represents the Greek civilization in a broader context - same with India and China in the game, and to an extent the Celts, Babylonians and Sumerians

This doesn't shut the door on looking into this further. But for right now we've decided to keep Alexander with Greece.

This doesn't add up: your arguements to keep Macedonia out fit perfectly for not splitting up the Native Americans. (So I'm glad the door isn't shut.)

When 4.0 is released, there will be 10 different North American culture groups. [...]

The two distinct nations are the Sioux and the Iroquois.

Joining them are:

- Dinnehih (Navajo, Apache, Hopi) (LH: Geronimo, Cochise, UU: Codetalker)

Codetalker? Why not Horse Whisperer? (I don't think Navajo, Apache or Hopi were talking code - except to non-Native Americans. BTW, I think both terms are nuts): Indians refers just as much to India as Native Americans. Isn't there a "Native American" name for "Indians" - like Upaajut?)

This doesn't add up: your arguements to keep Macedonia out fit perfectly for not splitting up the Native Americans. (So I'm glad the door isn't shut.)

The Native American culture is not a homologous group, which was my rationale for separating them. Technically speaking, you probably don't need 10 distinct groups, but that is how I had them separated in another mod so that is how I transferred them here. (One could, for instance, group the Navajo with the Dene, the Cherokee with the Iroquois, and the plains tribes with the Sioux and Ojibwe).

I've tried to represent native cultures in other parts of the world, too, which is why the Tupi, Olmec, Yanomami, Khoisan, Congo and Ainu are among the groups added (joining the Maasai, Maori, Polynesians and Aborigines from previous releases).

The Greeks can be divided, too, and they will be in 4.0 to some degree (as will be Persian groups and Arabic groups and Mongol groups, etc). But for this release I'm not entertaining the Greece vs. Macedon debate, and I'm keeping Alexander where he has been since Civ I. Amra's modpack will have Macedon separate from Greece, and as it is modular, it can easily be dropped into Gold.

Codetalker? Why not Horse Whisperer?

'Codetalker' is the name the Navajo, themselves, use for the WWII soldiers that relayed code in the Pacific theatre against the Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-4.htm
http://www.navajo-codetalker.com/

I'm not sure where "Horse Whisperer" fits into any of this.

(I don't think Navajo, Apache or Hopi were talking code - except to non-Native Americans.

And I don't think German Panzers were firing shells - except at non-Germans. :)

Seriously though, they were talking in code...well, they were just talking, of course, but their language was part of the code used.

Read the links above and you'll see what the role of the codetalker was. You seem to be assuming that I came up with the term and that it's some reference to their language being different. That isn't the case. But you have to read a bit on Navajo language to understand why it was used in this way.

BTW, I think both terms are nuts): Indians refers just as much to India as Native Americans. Isn't there a "Native American" name for "Indians" - like Upaajut?)

Well, 'Codetalkers' is a Navajo term and a US Marine term. I'm not sure why you're bringing up the term 'Indians', and 'Horse Whisperer' is also something you brought up. I don't know how they relate here.

And yes, all the civilization names of the Native Americans in 4.0 - save Sioux and Iroquois - are derived from Native American names from themselves.

Anishnaabek is Ojibwe for many people.
Aniyonega is Cherokee for people.
Dinnehih is Navajo for clan.
Ni-Mii-Pu is Nez Perce for people.
Piliwni is Me-wauk for people.
Tillikum is Chinook for people.
Upaajut is Inukttitut for many people.
Vo'estaneo'o is Cheyenne for people.

Codetalker? Why not Horse Whisperer? (I don't think Navajo, Apache or Hopi were talking code - except to non-Native Americans. BTW, I think both terms are nuts): Indians refers just as much to India as Native Americans. Isn't there a "Native American" name for "Indians" - like Upaajut?)

* My assumption is that the Code Talker reference is to the use of Navajo's in creating codes for WW II communications. Many of these codes were _not_ native, linguistically correct Navajo. So, in that sense, they were talking in code.

* No, there isn't a single name for Native Americans. You're talking about, literally, hundreds of tribes, dozens of identifiable linguistic groups, and cultural traditions that are staggering in their diversity. Even the grossest groupings that I've seen only manage to reduce North American Native Americans into about a half dozen identifiable groups (which gets even more complicated after 1850: the forced relocation to the midwest created a "melting pot" of traditions, and the generation of several new strains).

* My assumption is that the Code Talker reference is to the use of Navajo's in creating codes for WW II communications.

I know - that's beside the point: using a WWII phenomenon for an Indian/Native American UU seems real anachronistic.:mischief:

* No, there isn't a single name for Native Americans.

I seriously doubt this; I know Indian/Native Americans have a term to describe themselves (like in English "man"/"people"). One just needs to pick one. (Not being Indian/Native American myself, I don't know the term, but it exists.)

I seriously doubt this; I know Indian/Native Americans have a term to describe themselves (like in English "man"/"people"). One just needs to pick one. (Not being Indian/Native American myself, I don't know the term, but it exists.)

Well, you're wrong. The Iroquois have a term, the Sioux have a term, the Pueblo have a term. But they're all different terms, because they all speak different languages.

Top Bottom