Other Suggestions

You made my point for me: you want to do away with the Spanish, English, French, and German civs and just play with a single European civ? OK, go for it. But that's most definitely _not_ the philosophy behind CIV Gold.

Also, although I think this point will be lost, the term European is neither neutral nor historically uncontested. It is also incredibly recent in terms of any claim to provide a trans-national identity.

Your "point" is beside mine: I'm not talking about Europeans - which fits perfectly as a description of all European peoples (so much so that no one contests the term) - but about what we call "Native Americans" (or "Indians"): both these terms are, basically European - Europeans named the "Americas" and - mistakenly - the "Indians".

Anyway, I'm done repeating myself; clearly no Native American reads this.:wavey:

Your "point" is beside mine: I'm not talking about Europeans - which fits perfectly as a description of all European peoples (so much so that no one contests the term) - but about what we call "Native Americans" (or "Indians"): both these terms are, basically European - Europeans named the "Americas" and - mistakenly - the "Indians".

Anyway, I'm done repeating myself; clearly no Native American reads this.:wavey:

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding what you are asking, exactly.

In Canada, they refer to themselves most commonly as 'First Nations', although the term 'Native Americans' is used frequently.

In the US, the term 'American Indians' is most common, with 'Native Americans' also used.

I don't think Firaxis was mistaken to use to term 'Native Americans'. I just think they tried to fit too many cultures under one umbrella.

In Canada, they refer to themselves most commonly as 'First Nations', although the term 'Native Americans' is used frequently.

In the US, the term 'American Indians' is most common, with 'Native Americans' also used.

Thank you - that clarifies a lot!

I don't think Firaxis was mistaken to use to term 'Native Americans'. I just think they tried to fit too many cultures under one umbrella.

I agree - that was my point (more or less)...

BTW: any news on CIV Gold 4.0?:confused:

The 18th would be perfect! It's the first annual Louis Riel Day in Manitoba, and I could celebrate it by playing a marathon game of Civ Gold as Louis Riel

to bad. Last day of my long weekend. (faked sick at work :lol: ) just so i can play civ gold.

Also may i request that you DON'T use automic gamer for hosting the link? waiting just to download it is boring lol.

Hi guys,

I'm going to make an official announcement on the status page.

My father suffered a mild heart attack a couple of days ago and he has to have triple bypass surgery on Thursday or Friday. I'm heading out east tomorrow with my wife and kids to be there and won't be returning until Monday.

He's an older man - 86 - but is in great shape (and in great spirits right now) and the doc fully expects him to pull through with flying colours.

This has made the past few days a bit hectic. We were planning to release on Wednesday the 20th (we have the complete build done but are just squashing bugs like bad tags, typos, missing buttons, etc.), but because I'll be gone, the release will be next week (unless I can manage to get everything done tonight and tomorrow afternoon - unlike, though, as I have to pack for me and the kids).

We do, however, have our final build done with all the civs and leaders we're going to have - and it looks damn good, I must say.

If I can get things done tonight, Fierabras will create an installer and will upload it. I will have my laptop so I can make the link and announcement from anywhere.

So everything is done. We are just tweaking and catching things we missed.

I'll post an update tomorrow.
Cheers,
D

Civ 4 can wait, your father can not. I'm sure we'll all understand.

Besides, there are plenty of things to do (and play)

Quite understandable. Thank you for dropping a line about this. I hope your father does well.

I lost my own father a couple of years ago to a stroke, so I can appreciate the hectic - and the time you took to inform us all. (Best wishes to your father!)

Well, I was able to get an enormous amount of work done last night and today, and we're very close to done. Fierabras has had a crazy weekend, as well, so while we're close, we're not ready to release right now.

It does look, however, like we can still release before week's end. Obviously if things do not go well for my family, this will not be the case.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Cheers,
D

I'm sure everyone agrees if I say we appreciate all the trouble you guys go through.:salute:

(Just wondering: is CIV Gold team down to you two extraordinaires? Seeing as you keep posting on the Other suggestions thread - would some sort of help be welcome?)

Keep well and bon voyage! (Feeling quite French at the moment...);)

Top Bottom