1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Other turn based strategy games

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by rlw33, May 4, 2019.

1. rlw33

rlw33 Chieftain

With the obvious exception of Beyond Earth, what other turn based strategy games do Civ enthusiasts gravitate towards?

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Endless Legend.

And it's not turn based but Anno 1404 is a BIG favorite. It's available cheap and drm free at GOG.

Banazir864, Weraptor and rlw33 like this.
  3. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

I like Galactic Civilizations III. Civilization in Space!

Otherwise, I'm partial to wargames with turn based (or pausable/slider based realtime) mechanisms.

Banazir864, valerislysander and rlw33 like this.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

As you ruled out BE . . . SMAC? :D

I have a relentless love of science fiction (and fantasy). Most of my strategy games are realtime, even if I'm not very good at many / any of them. Dawn of War, Age of Empires, Battle for Middle Earth, etc.

Feel like I should mention Sword of the Stars, too. Sank a lot of time into that, historically. Give me games with huge tech trees you can't complete, any day of the week.

rlw33 likes this.
  5. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Master of Orion 2 is a great game in that domain.

6. Midgardsormr

Midgardsormr Chieftain

I really enjoy the X-Com franchise. I really need to find something in between the abstract strategy of Civ and the small squad tactics of X-Com. Is there a turn-based equivalent to Total War's army-scale battles?

Mr. Shadows and rlw33 like this.
  7. ezysquire

ezysquire Chieftain

The Age of Wonders series is a good one.

rlw33 likes this.
  8. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

As Sherlock mentioned: Endless Legend.

Interestingly, I didn't like it much when I first bought it right after it came out. I was quite involved in Civilization at this time and EL has quite a ... weird setting in contrast. Also the restriction of one city per region didn't came easy to me in comparison to Civ's freedom of city placement.

But now, I really love the game!

After such a long time, many patches streamlined the experience quite a bit, there is more control over combat now (a big downside in the beginning) and multiple now very cheap (on sales) DLCs have added lots of content to the game.
    Each faction plays very unique (and I really mean unique!) and the AI knows how to use them - at least if you install the highly recommended "Endless Legend Community Patch".

The AI is actually shockingly good on higher difficulties with the ELCP, at least in comparison with Civilization 6. Personally, I get spanked on 'hard' constantly and haven't won a single game so far. This might be also related to the fact that the AI still gets the vanilla bonuses, but knows to play the game better, though.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Atlas627, glider1, rlw33 and 3 others like this.
  9. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

Yeah, another vote for Endless Legend here. Like many others, I did not like it at first, but it has slowly grown on me; and I have been loving it lately. I have only ever played Wild Walkers or Vaulters (Merazi) though. Each other 'race' has WILDLY different play styles.

rlw33 and Deggial like this.
  10. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Chieftain

Xcom is pleasant. Total war Shogun 2 is good too.
    While not turn based, Crusader Kings II is excellent. As is Stellaris

rlw33 likes this.
  11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Endless Legend seems to be the standard answer. Makes sense, it's a fantastic game. Some of the systems are pretty different but once you get used to it it's a lot of fun. The instanced battles seem to be a solid compromise between 1UPT and stacks.

I liked Age of Wonders 3 but it felt repetitive after a while. It does present good challenges but sometimes I felt like Sisyphus until I got a few OP armies and snowballed.

Warlock 2 is kind of like Civ V ported to the HoMM fantasy universe. Good for a lark but pretty easy.

rlw33 likes this.
  12. valerislysander

valerislysander Chieftain

I like GalCiv3 for that space itch. Other than that the Total War:Warhammer games and Hearts of Iron 4 are pretty great.

rlw33 likes this.
  13. Unconquered Sun

Unconquered Sun Chieftain

Age of Wonders 3

Dominions 5

Sword of the Stars 1 (not 2!)

Eador: Broken World

vanilla Stellaris

Looking forward to Planetfall.

rlw33 likes this.
  14. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

I'm having a good time presently with Imperator Rome. It does seem a bit confusing and is at times frustrating due to a strange war/settlement/treaty mechanic. As Paradox is a European company, perhaps it's a nod to the madness of WWI.

rlw33 likes this.
  15. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

I happen to really enjoy Stellaris, as does one of my friends I introduced it too (who's also big into civ.)
    I would describe it as quasi turn based.
    I think if you like working on the city/district/terrain building side of civ6, then you might like the economic/building side of that game. Its definitely a steeper leaning curve but I find it scratches a very similar itch to Civ.

Felnius, rlw33 and comatosedragon like this.
  16. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I've got to pick up Stellaris. I keep seeing it mentioned in several different threads. Sounds cool. Got it on my wishlist. Just waiting for a sale now.

Bought Endless Legend and AoW3 for the same reason, EU4 too for that matter. Any time a game keeps coming up I have to check it out.

Wizard-Bob and rlw33 like this.
  17. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Turn-based, but not Strategic:
    X-Com 2
    BattleTech
    Battlestar Galactica Deadlock

I put in a about 120 hours into Age of Wonders 3. It was fun for a bit, but it really couldn't fully hook me. I haven't touched it in over 3 years. Honestly I don't remember why I dropped it, but I do recall never getting the full "just one more turn" vibe from it.

I haven't tried Endless Legend, but it sounds like I should look into it when it's on sale at some point.

rlw33 likes this.
  18. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I wish I could find a turn-based strategy game (other than Civ) that wasn't so focused on fighting and conquering. My ideal 4X game probably would be 55% eXplore, 25% eXpand, 15% eXploit, and at most 5% eXterminate.

plasmacannon and rlw33 like this.
  19. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

How about that? We finally agree on something fundamental. Nice! :thumbsup:

Gorbles and rlw33 like this.
  20. BTSeven7

BTSeven7 Chieftain

I tend to play my games as strategy, but I am in a whole different world outside of CiV...

Flight Simulation - Prepar3d or Xplane11. Get a copy of one of the Boeing 737 high end addons. It’s fascinating and a fun mental challenge I find similar to strategy. I lived with a pilot who flew the PMDG 737 for Prepar3d and was blown away by how realistic it was and used it for procedure training. Cool if you want to learn something unique but it feels like gaming. Just expensive compared to cheap DLC and a $49 game.

Fifa19 - Am I the only one who loves sports? I love the strategy of building up a program and the one type of game where I like the real time action. Soccer goals are so pretty!

Cities: Skyline - I build a city about once a year from scratch. Lots of strategy and lots of design.

So yeah, no 4X like the original OP looked for but I love strategy games bc it’s more thinking, a little more grand in terms of what you accomplish and I think these 3 titles satisfy my brain in many of the same ways.

rlw33 likes this.