[GS] Ottomans Livestream Discussion

yeah these are the parts I wanted to rewatch. Carl did take Bastions increasing the city strength of that border city Hungary was threatening, and he spread Islam to that border city adding another +10 strength on top of the +6 strength from Bastions.

As for Obuda, this appears to be just bad troop movements by the AI (no surprise there), but don't discount how powerful Ibrahim is. That's a massive bonus. People were saying the Ottomans weren't that good. +10 is massive.

I didn't quote the other quote about him using battering ram. Sadly the catapults even with increased strength just aren't cutting it. Too bad he didn't have bombards. Still, they weren't completely ineffective either. I just wish Carl had protected them better.

The AI was pretty bad there. They had a bunch of troops around, had the element of surprise (of at least a couple turns before Carl got Janisaries online), but yet still basically did nothing. You'd think they could have at least taken out a couple units early, enough that Carl wouldn't have had such an easy time going after a city which should have been pretty well defended.

The Hungarian surprise DoW was extremely bad timed since Carl was just about to DoW the Hungarian. An extremely planned DoW at that with all the bonuses that he got. I don't know what the (poor) Hungarians could have done.

I just wanted to include a screenshot of the corsair in action. Sadly his corsair didn't have a lot to do during this war. And I kind of forgot above Serasker only works on defensible districts, so the corsair doesn't get the bonus.

Crusader isn't something I normally use in my games (too much micromanagement to try to convert future enemy cities), but it came in handy here.

Corsair in action- sorry for the crop, just didn't want to unnecessarily include the streamers. +10 is his only combat bonus he's getting (from Crusade)
Spoiler :

The AI was pretty bad there.

Problem with AI at lower levels is they can't build enough troops. The screenshot above shows this to be Emperor level I believe.

Judging by this stream and one a few weeks ago, no. I'm not sure how you could nerf them. They either work or they don't.
You obsolete them for later walls. (E.g., classical obsolete rams, medieval obsolete towers, renaissance obsolete catapults, city defenses bombards. Then make them upgrade appropriately, if possible).

You obsolete them for later walls. (E.g., classical obsolete rams, medieval obsolete towers, renaissance obsolete catapults, city defenses bombards. Then make them upgrade appropriately, if possible).
There's also the whole "one battering ram works for ALL units adjacent to the city", which is both uber imbalanced and counter intuitive. If they really want to hit it with a nerf, they should make it work only for the unit stacked with the ram (make them a bit cheaper).

So interesting thing about this emergency is unlike a regular world congress session, not everyone is obligated by the results of the vote. Of course his allies didn't vote for going to war with him, but neither did Phillip and Kupe. Phillip even didn't like him and had denounced him, Kupe was friendly, but not in a declaration of friendship.

I just find it interesting that not everyone was forced into war. This is good obviously, I would be annoyed at being forced into war.

So interesting thing about this emergency is unlike a regular world congress session, not everyone is obligated by the results of the vote. Of course his allies didn't vote for going to war with him, but neither did Phillip and Kupe. Phillip even didn't like him and had denounced him, Kupe was friendly, but not in a declaration of friendship.

I just find it interesting that not everyone was forced into war. This is good obviously, I would be annoyed at being forced into war.

It’s also interesting to see that pachacuti is putting in 4 votes. Is he allied with Mathias?

Final thoughts on the Hungary war for the night. Hungary actually did have more troops than I originally thought (I did not see where he levied them from). Although it didn't help their initial units were split between defending 3 different cities (because Carl was going after 3 different cities) Generally I don't see that many on emperor, but Hungary is a more military orientated civ. I noticed without Ibrahim bonus, he was really bogging down trying to take that 3rd city. Granted, he had insufficient troops. But with Ibrahim, he was able to take the 1st city on the left with insufficient troops.

He was starting to really bog down going after Hungary's capital. He probably would have eventually got it, however. He was going fast to try to accomplish a lot in the stream, and playing recklessly to try to get a lot done. Ottomans are powerful, but Hungary is not someone you can just roll over in that era. Because Ottomans are limited by niter, they aren't OP, as evidenced in this stream.

As for the initial repel of Hungary, as I mentioned above he had Crusader bonus (for unit attacks), bastions for the city bombards, and the city on the left had Victor with a promotion to increase combat strength of units.

1.Is the Spain denouncement subtext bugged? It said (You denounced them) but it was Spain who denounced Ottoman.

2. I laughed when Pete shouted "Stop!Stop!"

3. They are working on relationship between Grievance and Loyalty. This I am looking forward to.

4. Grievance system on multiplayer is also being looked at.

5. Gorgo and Alexander tweaked. Their grievance against warmongering player decays faster (as I understood it)

That can probably mean that Battering Rams and Siege Towers will get some nerf. That can explain Akkad's bonus.

I really hope Rams are nerfed and Seige buffed.

Looks like they do. I saw one sword get upgraded and then the next turn had a promo available.

Being able to keep building swords and then upgrading to Janissaries is a bit OP, but I guess you do at least need to pay the iron for the swords.

Knight production increased to 220 and back to iron.

There's clearly a lot of balancing going on. There's got to be a good chance FXS get this right.

Did anyone notice the devs said "Ibrahim is the first unique governor"? More than once. Implying that there will be more.

I the last stream Ed also referred to the WC as a "first cut". It does look like more content is planned, perhaps a 3rd expansion. That would be consistent with the current Civ list too.

Separately. I'm impressed how responsive FXS were on pillaging. Good work guys!

Last edited:
Then there might not be any subtext there. He is literally the first unique governor. That fact doesn't carry with it an implication that there will be more.

Brian says "he is literally the first unique governor we've ever put in the game". That is a direct quote from 5:40 in the stream, long before they start talking about modding.

*sigh* I'm annoyed by Akkad. I don't want more Middle Eastern city-states. I want more Middle-Eastern civs. Akkad and Babylon are cramping on Babylon/Assyria (also technically Akkad/Agade should be in Sumer's city list...). :cry: Make Tushpa (Urartu) or Anshan (Elam) city-states instead (but those are both on the Persian city list, I'm guessing...).

Top Bottom