Our compiled list of demands for the Ptw

eli_co

Chieftain
Hello amigos!
Its pretty clear that Civ 3 is not completed(just try playing a ww2 scenario, when you cant even see the damn map, and the Usa attacks Britain on 1938...)
We will all be forced to buy the game again, once is not enough for Firaxis i guess, and why should it be, they make twice the money, i would do the same if i were them.
But it doesnt mean we cant "fight" back, i love the game, and i am willing to buy it again, but they have to do more than give us descent scenraios, few more faces of leaders, and a radar...
Firaxians, you want us to buy the game again, then invest in the game again, change consepts, add things we want, it will bring you more money and reputation, and more enjoyment for us.
i have read all the comments on the Thread of Xp Ideas, and i gathered together all the ideas that most of the you agreed on.
lets start moving this thread forward, and make them listen to us, People, what they are giving us isnt enough to buy the game again, it was supposed to be on Civ3!!!!!
I want an answer about every suggestion here from Firaxis, before i buy the game again, and if you, my fellow gamers dont agree to something on the list, write it down, and we will remove it)
Once again, those are not my ideas, whats written here are ideas from the thread, so if you recognise your idea on the list, dont be mad, i admit i copied it, i only took the time to put them all together, so we can go with an organised list to Firaxis.
i divided the ideas to several subjects (this is going to be long guys...)

Here it Goes!!!

1)General Notes from the Fans to Firaxis!

First of all, i adress the thing that bugged me most about civ3 , give us the scenario editor when the game gets released, its just not the same game without scenarios, for some of us its the best part of the game, and for a year now, we cant play a descnent scenario!
more over, dont surprise us, if something is taken out, tell us before we buy the game, i only found out that there arent scenarios when i got home and tried playing one, it wasnt published, it wasnt written in the manual or on the box, and it got on our nerves...

about the expansion pack, it is nice you give add-on to the fanatic fans , like multiplayer, flag wins, and so on, but now most of us wish there wouldnt be one anyway, because it seems that when you release the game, you think on things you can exclude from it so people will buy the game again... and in any case this forthcoming expansion has some changes like radars, airfields and more civs that are going to change the game and its unfair for people who wont buy it, DONT expect that people buy the game twice, we dont want to, and dont have money... give respect to people who already bought the game and dont start talking a few months after the release about all those new things you forgot about , and will release soon, once again, most of us dont want to buy the game twice, i really am upset about this all thing.(it will sadly work this time, but dont pull it off on civ4 again)

Mr Sid, why does it hurt you so much to let us have about 40 civs?
how many hours of programming does it take, come on, in one day you can get all the 40 in, so do it!

Firaxis, dont hurry up the release of Civ4 on the expense of quality, there were too many Bugs on Civ3 when it got out, and lack of fundemental components such as SCENARIO EDITOR was upseting too(as i mentioned before, and i willl mention again!)

Major concepts that should be added/changed in Civ4

We want to get more attached to our units,they are not just pawns on the board but citizens from our empire.
first of all, and easy to implement is the ability for us to give our units names(The second battalion for example) this feature is very important for most of us.
some of us think that we should know how many people every unit contain, and if you draft about 5 units for example your population should decrease, those soldiers are our civ citizens, remember ww2, germany fought with 15 years old kids at the end of ww2, since they didnt have more men available, firaxis should tackle this subject.

Add more diplomatic options, most important missing ones are : the ability to give military support to other civs(lets say, if you give them tanks, they will arrive in 2 turns, and so on)
One more important feature is forcing a civ to stop waging a war against another, in todays politics, its the most common step, for example, my country israel is changing policies all the time since the US and EU keep on bugging us not to attack terrorists, and we have to do what they say...
Another diplomacy option that must be implemented is a nuclear ban agreement, and embargos of nations that create too much pollution, moreover , there should be an ability to call off diplomatic deals before they expire if both sides agree.
One more diplomacy option that can be hard to implement is a tready of limitation on the size of the armies, its very common since ww1, and it should be added.

There has to be much more bigger role to barbarians, or as we call it in our days Terrorists , for example you can fund and harbour terrorism against your neighbours(see iran helping terrorists, pakistan supporting "freedom fighters" against india and so on)
More over , not all the cities on the board must be owned by the empires, some of them can be terrorists cities, and some can be neutral cities that will only have the ability to have one city, it will bring so much more to the game, and make it more realistic, there are more than 300 nations on the planet, it can add a lot to the game(by the way , in the chat with firaxis , i asked them why terror doesnt get a more important role, i mean, isn't there a global war against terror, doh? the reply i got was: "we dont want to tackle this painful subject, so i told them that if thats the case , they shouldnt release a ww2 scenrio since its a painful subject too, i got no reply...)
in conclusion, we are big boys, this is a war and world domination game, we know there are terrorists around, and ignoring them wont make them go away...

There must be new units in civ4, and the ones that were mentioned the most in the forums are :Ballistic Missles that are not nuclear(scuds for example), 2 kinds of radars, and mine fields(which could be tough to add , cause it can make the game get stuck although there could be a way to defuse them, by a special unit, for example, in iran iraq war, the iranians compiled a brigade of 15 year old kids, whose job was to be the first to walk on mine fields, and defuse them, it was an effective unit, but not many volunteered to it...

There should be more representation to Intelligence in the game, its a very important feature, if your neighbour is preparing for war,and producing lots more units than the usual , and sending terrorists against you, then your Intelligence(C.I.A, satellite system and so on) will notify you about it.
the quality of the intelligence should be as good as the amount of budget they get.

Talking about realism, whats more important in our world today then religions? this is a delicate subject, but there must be a role for religions in the game.
The basic idea is that your civ will choose its religion for example-christian/muslim/ jewish/ atheist/ pagan and so on...
Muslim countries are more likely not to attack other islamic nations, and attack israel instead, and so on, there can be a lot more added on this subject.

The next subject is problematic, and its the mother earth effects, i am not talking about weather, but it will give a lot of spice and realism to the game if there were Volcanos, Floods,hurricanes , Earthquakes and alien abductions(kidding about the last one...) more over, there should be diseases like aids, that is a major factor today in many countries, and drug problems too( i am not sure that getting those two in is possible, but try thinking about it)

I have read about provinces ideas, its realistic, but too complicated, although , when you control such a big empire, its not possible that you wouldnt have problems, so the most common solution is that if your leadership is a failure, and your approval rates are low(lots of civil disorder,losing wars, and so on) those far away cities can suddenly revolt and become nuetral(once again, a lot of us feel that neutral cities can add a lot for the game)

Another realistic option that is very hard to implement is the UN role in the game, there should be one in the modern times, but i have no idea how to put it in, do you?(i havent seen any specific suggestions on this at the forum)

Bring those back from the Civ2!!!!!

Give us back the spy!! we all liked it alot, the new espionage system isnt much fun ,and the spy is the most important unit to represent terrorists who sabotage your city, poison water, and blow up, i think its fair to say we want it back!

The sentry command, god damnet, we miss it...

Partisans were awsome,and realistic, how come they are gone?!

We want the Wonders movies just like in Civ2, it was great, and now it feels so empty when i build the Statue of Liberty...

Where are the Airfields(Once again, no one understands why they are gone, i sure hope its not related to the fact they will be on the expansion pack...)

Good things on Civ3 that has to be kept and developed!!

The resource and luxury system is the major improvement of the game, great job, keep on developing it(add more resources and luxuries like gas, and oil in water squares, and dont go back to those stupid trade rouths from civ2... )

Civ3 is making a good job at making the game simple,and not tiresome, keep it going in Civ4, we dont want double irrigation, and trade routes. on that subject, the idea of food supply exchange between cities should be done only if it wont be complicated for us to manage

Keep on working on the AI, make it better, and i mean better , not by letting them cheat... lets face it , this game cant work well on multiplayer, the AI is very very important.

Borders are a great idea, so great that they should be sacred, so that if you attack a unit that is within your borders, its not a war act, and its legal, god damnet, if a mexican bunch of settlers and 2 armor divisions get into texas, will Bush ask them politely to leave for 3 years?!

Light changes that will make the game more comfortable

THE diplomacy screen, combine all the civs together, no one likes it that they dont all fit in one screen , i once havent talked to the americans through the entire game, cause i forgot they were even there!

We are all troubled that a F-16 jet fighter cant destroy a warrior,or a bomber cant sink a frigate, i dont know why, but it doesnt make sense, i know it is for the balance of the game, but you guys at civ team have to sort it out for us, realism is important, as i said before...

Multiple unit movement- its bugging most of us, make it more efficient, in the late stages of the game most of the time goes for ordering units around...

An ability to build canals would be nice...

An option that will allow you to wake all your units, lets say, if you plan to attack, or you were surprise attack, you might miss fortified and sentried units , so wake them all up with a click of a button!

War weariness should not occur in civs that were betrayed and attacked, and are fighting for the existence, and it should be linked to the success on the battlefield, lost units are not just strategic tools, they are your citizen's family, and if the cause is wrong and the death toll is high, it should be linked to war weariness (did anyone say Vietnam?)

There must be more World wonders: Eiffel tower, World trade center :( , Taj Mahal, Internet, Hubbble Telescope , and much much more!

There should be more goverment types, such as Syndicalism, Fascism and so on...(not more than 3 though, it will mess things up!)

There should be about 3 leaders you can choose from every civ, if you are england, you can choose one of them stupid kings, or maybe sexy Thatcher, or the only god of history, WINSTON CHURCHILL.

well, thats it, i hope some of you are still reading this, and start commenting, i just want this to be a messege that would clarify to firaxis we deserve more if we buy the game again, i hope it can even make a diffrence.

if you agree to all this, just say it, so we can have a large number of names connected to this list, and if we debate about something, then we will post a survey and decide democratically :)

take care!!!

At least one of your comments have already been added in the 1.29f patch: the Wake command.

Come to think of it, WHY are they adding in Airfields in the EXPANSION?

I agree with the Partisan sentiment and most of your others sentiments.

Diplo screen is messed up.

Religions should only be tied to some forms of governments, like Despotism, and never Communism..

actually , the wake command on 1.29 is only regarding the units in one square, i think, but i may be wrong.
i just want us to send them a document that will tell them what do we demand if we are going to buy the game again...
its not a lost battle yet, in my opinion, what the are giving us now is a bad joke, they worked on the expansion pack 1/10 of the time that they worked on civ3.
i guess you all have lots of money, if you dont care about that :)
come on guys, give your confirmation like agamemnus, and lets get this thing rolling, they wont make it better without preasure from us.

Yeah, right. We're going to demand that a private company make a product to our specifications, rather than what they want to make. :rolleyes:

Granted, there are a few things in your list that I wouldn't mind seeing in a Civ4, but nothing so serious that I would even think of "demanding". :lol:

I could go into detail why I disagree with most of your initial post, but it's just not worth the effort.

"Demand", indeed. :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry to say I disagree with most of your post... There are a few good ideas but I hardly think "demanding" it would help any.

But 1 thing though, why are so many people wanting spy back? I got so sick and tired of having to kick out multiple diplomats/spies every single turn in Civ2 that I'm just estatic they took out the actual unit. Nobody else experience that? :(

Originally posted by Padma
Yeah, right. We're going to demand that a private company make a product to our specifications, rather than what they want to make. :rolleyes:

Granted, there are a few things in your list that I wouldn't mind seeing in a Civ4, but nothing so serious that I would even think of "demanding". :lol:

I could go into detail why I disagree with most of your initial post, but it's just not worth the effort.

"Demand", indeed. :lol: :lol:

how much do you make a day?
i make just enough in a day and a half of work to buy the game again, and i was just thinking that maybe we deserve more than cosmetic changes and important features that should have been in civ3 on the first place.(and were left out intentionally, we all know that)
i guess your parents are giving you money for the game, or you wouldnt be so calm about it :)
whats my problem?
i would never dream of buying an expansion pack, expansions are for fanatics , and i am not, but what happendes if i dont?
no airfields(it was on civ2!) , and most importantly, NO SCENARIOS.(if anyone thinks there are scenarios, just try to load a ww2 scenario, watch the black map and how all nations live in peace and understand my point)
So ok, they are making me buy the game twice, but god damnet, if they do, they should atleast change things, they should add concepts, and work on it like they worked on civ3.
i am not anti firaxis, i like the game, but i am making this post to let them know that me, and maybe some of you arent happy about all this.
so, you can act cool, and laugh about me, but your coolness will only make things worse when they release civ4, they will do the same prank again, and this time with something more important than scenarios or airfields.
i know where it is going, i have been there with another game i liked(called championship manager), the company that made him released the same game 3 times in a row, with cosmetic changes that you couldnt even tell were there, and only after the third time people started showing protest.
Firaxis are right, they want more money, every company does, and i respect and admire them for it, but it can only stop when preasure is put on them...
remember my words now, my friend, it will be much much worse on Civ4(maybe they will call it Civ4 series)
c'ya

Originally posted by eli_co

how much do you make a day?
As if it had any bearing on the discussion, I make a little more than $220 a day (before taxes).
i make just enough in a day and a half of work to buy the game again, and i was just thinking that maybe we deserve more than cosmetic changes and important features that should have been in civ3 on the first place.(and were left out intentionally, we all know that)
i guess your parents are giving you money for the game, or you wouldnt be so calm about it :)
umm, considering I haven't lived with my parents for 30 years, I don't think so.
whats my problem?
i would never dream of buying an expansion pack, expansions are for fanatics , and i am not, but what happendes if i dont?
no airfields(it was on civ2!) , and most importantly, NO SCENARIOS.(if anyone thinks there are scenarios, just try to load a ww2 scenario, watch the black map and how all nations live in peace and understand my point)
The game included everything I expected, after reading the box and the reviews. I don't play scenarios. I don't even like scenarios. I never even noticed they were "missing" until I started reading rants about it.
So ok, they are making me buy the game twice, but god damnet, if they do, they should atleast change things, they should add concepts, and work on it like they worked on civ3.
i am not anti firaxis, i like the game, but i am making this post to let them know that me, and maybe some of you arent happy about all this.
so, you can act cool, and laugh about me, but your coolness will only make things worse when they release civ4, they will do the same prank again, and this time with something more important than scenarios or airfields.
i know where it is going, i have been there with another game i liked(called championship manager), the company that made him released the same game 3 times in a row, with cosmetic changes that you couldnt even tell were there, and only after the third time people started showing protest.
Firaxis are right, they want more money, every company does, and i respect and admire them for it, but it can only stop when preasure is put on them...
remember my words now, my friend, it will be much much worse on Civ4(maybe they will call it Civ4 series)
c'ya
I'm sorry. I was not laughing at you, I was laughing at the concept of customers demanding a private company make the product they want, rather than the product the company wants to make. The idea is ludicrous. If you think they are making a mistake, you are certainly at liberty to tell them so. But in a free market, if their product is not satisfactory to you, don't buy it. It's really that simple. If enough people are unsatisfied, then their game won't sell, and they will get the message loud and clear.

And from all indications it's selling very well.

eli_co:

Your ideas aside, I don't see how you have any right to demand anything. Nobody is "making" you buy anything as you claim. If you don't like it, don't buy it. None of us "deserve" anything from Firaxis, and they don't owe anything to us. They make a product for general use, and cannot possibly concede to every whim of every person. The flow of ideas and suggestions will never stop and if they did this they would never actually get anything released. When in production, there is a point where you just have to say, "that's all we're doing for now, it's being released."

That being said, fan suggestions are usually welcome, but demands are generally ignored. I will say they are a lot more accomodating than most game makers in that they even MADE an editor or that they even work with fans and fansites on fine-tuning their games. How many games/companies can you really say that about?

I won't give demands, but I will put up a couple of things I'd like to see in a future version (since apparently 4 is already in testing).

-More functionality to the Trade Advisor: It would be really nice if I could see a full breakdown of ALL active trades at once without having to go to each individual leader and checking the [active].

-Some sort of unit-grouping so that I don't need to individually assign 20 workers to clear a jungle or something (I think 40 clicks and 20 moves is a bit tiresome for something like this).

-Add a limited autofunction for workers: only build roads, only build rails, etc.

-Include food in trade possiblities

Of course anything else is good too; new units/civs/wonders/governments, value tuning of existing ones, but a lot of that CAN be altered in the editor which was so convieniently provided.

I do agree with some of your points:
~I think that more diplomatic options would be nice; being able to turn one civ against another; being able to ask for a cease-fire, etc.
~I like the idea of barbarians playing a bigger role, having towns, etc., kind of like the Gaia from Age of Empires. (On huge maps I find it amusing to run across some conscript warrior camp in some corner of the world while I have mech infantry)
~I do think that I should be able to do something about those obnoxious troops meandering around my empire without starting an all-out war. There is no good reason that a nation I am at peace with should have troops in my country without ROP.

So it's not necessarily your ideas I have a problem with. I just disagree with the way you're going about it.

Panth

I must say I agree with Padma on this. "Fighting back" and making demands of features in a computer game made by a private company is absurd.

[Econ 101 rant] Of course you can give them feedback of features you'd want. And you can not buy the game if it does not have the features you want. Hence, gamemakers have incentive to make games with features players like, so they'll buy the game. Judging by sales, I think Firaxis has done a pretty good job of making a game lots of people like. You want even MORE game? No problem - they'll sell you a expansion pack.

And yes, they can intentionally keep features out and add them in an "expansion" to make more money. It's simple economics - segmenting the market into two groups - those who are satisfied without additional features who pay $40, and those who want the additional features, and pay $70. They get more $$$, we get to decide if it's worth it for us, and all is good.

Reminds me of what Intel did a while ago, with the 486 chip with math co-processor. They first made a 486 with the math co-processor. To segment the market, they also decided to sell the 486 without the co-processor. Rather than run two different production lines, one with the co-processor and one without (increasing expense), they decided to make all the 486's the same, and intentionally break the co-processor of those that were sold as having no co-processor. They could charge two prices for the two products, get more utility from the customer. Ironically, it cost more to make the 486 without the co-processor, as the step of breaking the co-processor cost additional $$$.

Funny postscript to the Intel story: They later sold a "486 math co-processor addon for machines without the co-processor. It was simply the original, entire 486 co-processor sold for a much cheaper price! The catch! It checked for the "broken" chip, and only ran if you had that chip.

And you thought Firaxis had evil plans...

[/Econ 101 rant]

Sorry, got on a tangent. Finally using my economics degree from many years ago...

I'd like a Province system ala Europa Universalis, broader government choices ala Alpha Centauri and diplomacy features ala Call to Power II(that work :rolleyes: ).

However, as much as I'd lobby for those, it wouldn't have any affect. Firaxis still follows it's own book, so it's useless. The only alternative I have is to boycott the products, until I see an improvement...and that probably won't come until the next sequel.

Originally posted by Four Four Seven
stuff about the intel 486sx

Actually, all they did was test the FPU (or Math-CoProcessor) when they fabricated the chip. If it passed, they sold it as a 486dx. If it failed, they destroyed the connections to the FPU and sold it as a 486sx. It's not as though you could reattach the FPU and make a 486dx chip out of a 486sx (although apparently some people tried).

http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?Intel+486SX

Originally posted by Panth
eli_co:

Your ideas aside, I don't see how you have any right to demand anything. Nobody is "making" you buy anything as you claim. If you don't like it, don't buy it. None of us "deserve" anything from Firaxis, and they don't owe anything to us. They make a product for general use, and cannot possibly concede to every whim of every person. The flow of ideas and suggestions will never stop and if they did this they would never actually get anything released. When in production, there is a point where you just have to say, "that's all we're doing for now, it's being released."

thats what i think you dont get.
you can demand, and if they dont comply, you dont go and beat them up, you dont hunt sid's mom and kidnap her...
all you have to do is to say is :"i am not buying the game", the power we have as a group in our hands in this capitalistic world is beyond physical threats , its as easy as that, the threat of not buying the game is the ultimate threat, and they will listen to it, not only listen , but roll on the floor like dogs and beg you to buy it...
now look, if you think that this expansion pack has enough in it to bring you to buy the game again, then good for you.
i think, that it doesnt, but i like scenarios, and if radars are in , and airfields are back, and some civ3 bugs are fixed, then i will probably buy it, unless we , as a group protest, and tell them its simply not enough(for those who dont make 220$ a day)
can you imagin them sedning all around the world boxes of the game, and getting no revenue for it?
ask yourself how much TIME was invested in this XP in comparison with the time that was invested in civ3(that was also released undone with millions of bugs)
and once again, my warning to you, it will happen again in civ4 if we all buy the XP without protest, only then it will be much more brutal, why the hell shouldnt it happen, i would do the same if i was them...
come on rich kids, wake up!

Having been a professional programmer/analyst for over 20 years (which is why I make the salary I do ;) ) I can assure you, that "demands" from an insignificantly tiny fraction of the customer base are ignored. Or at best, laughed about. And demands issued after the product has gone to testing? :rotfl:

If this thread were titled something like "Suggested Improvements for Civ3" then I wouldn't have laughed, and would have pointed out where I agreed, and probably added some. Firaxis has always listened to the more rational members of its customer base, and many of the improvements we have gotten in patches and in the XP are the result of reasoned discussion.

Finally, as has been pointed out, PTW is in testing. It is far too late to make any changes to it, unless something breaks totally during testing. What we need now is rational discussion about changes for the next release, whether it be called Civ3-Gold, or Civ4 or whatever.

Well could it be pushed back? Sure it's set to be released in October but there have been delays before. And if it comes out better than what was expected in Oct. release than we'll all snap up to buy PTW. Quality counts over time - that's why I hated The Sims Vacation, they only developed it for four months and released something not worth the 700 MB to install.

Firaxis might be contractually obligated to ship on a certain date. They do work for a publisher and funds are usually tied to making certain milestone dates.

Top Bottom