1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Current Available Tribes Choices

Discussion in 'Eagles' started by Cyc, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Personally, I am happy with Japan being our chosen Tribe for the ISDN. But in the rules discussion, the restriction on AA UUs was striken. This means that more Tribes are now available for us to choose from. I have listed them all below. Note that even Persia is allowed. CIFO does not like to play against Persia. They feel that Persia is a very dominant team, and tried to rule them out at first. Therefore, I propose that no matter who we chose, our nation's color should be Teal Green, or one of the colors of the Persians.

The rules state that nationalities will be unknown to all teams at the start. Only the Refs will know which teams are playing until first contact. I suppose if the score marquee on the game screen has team names only, and the diplomat screen is the same way, it could work. Custom Leader heads may also be available.

Having the rule that a team must get permission to enter your cultural borders will make deception kind of fun. If we can make the other team on our continent (or all teams) stay away until the can beat Immortals (because they think we are the Persians), it will be to our advantage. Especially when we get something like a Samurai or some other UU in the MA. Just a thought.

Here are the Tribes we can now choose from.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    China (+)
    India (+)
    Arabia (+ 0)
    Japan (+)
    Mongolia (+ 0)
    Germany (+ 0)
    Ottomans (+)
    Spain (-0)
    England (-)
    Russia (+)
    America (-)
    Scandinavia (+ 0)
    Portugal (-)
    France (-0)
    Korea (+)
    Persia (+)
    Carthage (+ 0)
    Rome (+)
    Greece (+)
    Egypt (+)
    Babylon (+ 0)
    Zulu (-0)
    Hittites (-0)
    Byzantines (+)

The notations to the right of the Tribe names are Calis' recommedation at the time of his original posting. So what do you think? Stick with the Japanese or choose again. Please be specific about which tribe you like. If we do run another poll, it will be single choice.

2. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Rome and Greece are two "standard" AA powerhouse civs, so of course we should avoid them like the plague.

In fact, probably no one will chose them, since they are so standard that only a newbie would opt to be Rome/Greece.

Since we will share an island with someone, hopefully friendly, is SCI worthwhile to gain us one free tech in the Middle Ages (if we assume the game will not last until the Industrial Age)?

I think I would rather a strong MA/IA offensive unit, perhaps even a fast one, than a strong AA unit.

3. Calis

Calis on time

Well, I agree that a MA UU might be a good choice. I also would prefer a peaceful relation to our opponent on the same continent, but we can't expect that when chosing our tribe. I have the impression that the CiFo player tend to be aggressive (but maybe only on the forums :)).

My preferences would be (in no specific order):

Japan (good UU, militaristic is good in a probably aggressive game, Religious gives us flexibility on government choice)

China (great (fast) UU, militaristic, Industrious needs no comment)

Ottomans (great UU, very good traits, but we(Chamnix, Cyc and myself) are playing them in the current MTDG. So I would prefer another choice.

Byzantines (I just love dromons. They can rule the seas into the late MA due to their bombing abilities and on a continent map, the seafaring trait might be very useful)

Carthage (very good defensive UU, seafaring trait and Industrious)

4. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

I'm in favor of sticking with the Japanese. I really like the militaristic trait and I think the Samurai is a pretty solid unit.

5. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

Byz it up! The dromon has one of the longest period of usefulness of any UU, and will be quite effective on a water map, especially if we get the Great Lighthouse. Sci is worthwhile for later tech races, and seafaring is again, effective on a water map. It would be worth knowing if all 4 teams will be able to reach each other before magnetism, my guess would be yes since the map is fairly small. That would give our dromon an even bigger advantage allowing us to launch overseas invasions more effectively pre-magnetism, which is when cross-continent warring would normally take off.

6. Bacon King

Bacon King Emperor

Okay, I think we can make the following assumptions:

-Game will be at least reasonably fast paced (will not, say, last to the modern age). Everyone will basically have a long term goal of a conquest or maybe domination victory.
    -it's on continents; potentially lots of shoreline, and potentially late contact from the two distant civs (or three different civs, if the map maker decides to throw us for a loop and place us all on different continents or something).
    -The CIFO guys are very serious about this game. If we end up on a continent with either of those teams they will quite possibly wage some serious war if we appear weak.
    -We'll definitely get shunned diplomatically (and possibly even be the focus of an anti-us alliance) if we decide to be cheap and select one of the "uber" civs (that is, no Rome, Greece, or Persia).

Based on that, here's my thoughts on a few potential civs:

Carthage: UU keeps us safe, seafaring will be good with coastal cities as well improving "suicide galley" chances to contact the other continent; industrious is of course great.

Sumeria: Are agricultural civs allowed? Their UU has the stats of a spearman with the cost of a warrior; we could then build our defenses up early and if we wanted to be coy could disconnect/reconnect our iron whenever we wanted to shift between defensive and offensive unit production. Starting with bronze working would mean our first research target could be iron working, so we could easily plan ahead our iron connection shenanigans without risking being taken by surprise.

France: risky/crazy idea here, but they're the only civ that starts with both prerequisites for Mathematics which provides the Statue of Zeus. If we can get ivory then we can easily get the wonder first, especially considering that faster workers means quicker chops. Considering how broken the SoZ is, this is a huge gamble but an awesome one if it works.

Byzantines: again, seafaring would be good. Cheaper libraries help the tech rate too, Dromons are awesome, and their starting techs give pretty quick access to both land and naval units.

England: Another gamble I suppose, and definitely not a traditional choice, but their traits stack nicely for coastal cities which would put us in a pretty good economic position. More money for research and/or unit upgrades to keep us ahead of the curve. The Man O'War would also be pretty nice if we last long enough to face some intercontinental warfare.

7. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

What level are we playing at? Commercial is more important the harder the game.

I'm fine with Japan, if we are going to pass up one of the big three (Persia, Rome and Greece)

And I'm fine with passing up an AA UU.

More later...

8. Cyc

The difficulty level is Emperor. Continents with 70% water. Roaming Barbs or restless barbs. 2 teams per continent with some islands around that should have resources on them.

9. Chamnix

Chamnix Chasing Time

I hate Carthage's UU. Anything else mentioned above looks good. I think my first choice may be France.

10. Cyc

Greece is kleinerHeldt's favorite Tribe. He's a major CIFO player.

Japan fits that description. :)

I like Japan and China also. As far as Seafaring Tribes, I believe CIFO will focus on these.

Never play the Byzantines for some reason. I understand the value of dromons everytime I have to face one (or 4), just never play them.

No Agri Tribes allowed.

I'm playing France now in another PBEM and I like them. Good traits.

Ditto. Again, France is a good pick, even if they have a UU that can't attack.

11. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

I think the first thing we should decide is if we want a seafaring civ. If we decide to go for seafaring or not then we can narrow our discussion. Perhaps a poll? We won't know if the other continent is accessible by coast, but with a smaller map that is likely the case, and we can probably get contact early on at any rate.

Defensive UU's are maybe not as fun to use, but they can be very useful when playing against humans, so France is a decent choice (if agri wasn't restricted I'd be campaigning hard for het Nederlands).

12. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

MTDG maps are often archipelago or something like that. So I think we should go for the Byzantines.

13. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

Hello everyone,
    If the enemy is on a separate continent I vote Byzantines for a few reasons;
    1 obviously the ability of the Dromon
    2 the survivability of the Dromon tied to scouting
    3 When taking an enemy coastal city the Dromon softens incoming units doubling as a siege weapon

14. Calis

Calis on time

We already know that it will be a continents map with two civs on each main continent.

15. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

My new personal top 5:
    1. Greece
    2. Japan.
    3. Germany
    4. Persia
    5. Byzantium

16. Cyc

Alright, I'm going to start a poll later today. It will contain the Tribes that have gotten at least 2 "yahs" in this thread. So far, I count 4. So please, if this is your first time here, or you want to make another recommendation, please be specific. I'll need to get this poll up today.

17. Calis

Calis on time

Japan: Yah

Byzantines: Yah

China: Yah

France: Nah

18. Bacon King

Bacon King Emperor

To make it clear, Yah to France, Byzantium, Carthage

19. Cyc

Ok, I'll include Carthage, as there seems to be 2 yahs for it also. That's 5 options and there are 11 of us.

20. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

I suggest making a runoff poll afterward between the two top contenders if there are a lot of votes for the other 3.