Our History

Cyc

Looking for the door...
We'll need to come up with a history of our people. Mainly we need to center around the Germans and the English, but deal with our own past as well.

After doing a little research, I think I've found a suitable name for the English. Fomorach. Basically meaning the men from under the sea. Might be the origin of the word Foe.

Anyway, just initial thoughts. We needed somewhere to gather our thoughts about the History of our tribe.

The history of the tribe could be kinda decided in the RPG section. You could encourage people to write about the germans and english (which by the way, could just be named the germans and english instead of something else :))

Yeah, that sounds a little boring, but with the participation so far, that may be the only way.

We should have had comments here in the Citizen's sub-forum. Gelled on an idea for each, AND THEN write about it in the RPG. And I thought it would be better to use other names, but this looks like it's turning out to be pretty generic.

Don't say that - I like the idea of a name for the English that means 'men from under the sea' - sounds kind of Lovecraftian.

Perhaps they invaded our lands, storming them from the sea and the name derives from the tales of our warriors who described the English soldiers charging at them from the waves covered in seaweed.

What about Cara/Chara for the Germans. I pretty sure it means friend in Irish Gaelic. Cairde would be the plural, I think.

I gonna wait till we know our surrounding terrain before I go on about our history. i'd suck to say the english drove us on to an island, then find ourselves on a major continent.

Sounds good, billybones27.

Good thinking, Longus. The beloved Cairde and evil Fomorach. I like it.

those are great names for our friends/rivals.

The beloved Cairde and evil Fomorach. I like it.
Fine, but how are these words pronounced?

Cairde
  • Car Day
  • Car Dee
  • Care Day
  • Care Dee
  • Cared
  • Card
  • Sire Day
  • Sire Dee
  • Sir Day
  • Sir Dee
  • Sired
  • Sirred

Fomorach
  • Foe More Ack
  • Fo Mo Rack
  • Fo More Rack
  • Foe Mo Rack
  • Fu Mu Reach

Why is this important? Well, we have a national flag. We still need a national anthem and we'll want to sing put-down songs about the rest. And when re-versing a song, the rhyming pattern is fairly important. Just consider the choruses to American Pie and the re-versing in The Sage Begins.

American Pie
So
Bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys
Were drinkin whiskey and rye
Singin,
this'll be the day that I die.
Thisll be the day that I die.

The Saga Begins
Oh
My my this here Anakin guy
Maybe Vader someday later
Now he's just a small fry
He left his home
And kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin'
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

Besides which, if we don't how to pronounce their names, we'll never be able to effectively mangle their names with mispronounciation. :crazyeye:

Personally, I was thinking the Cairde would be pronounced "Card they", with a slight roll of the d.

The Fomorach would be Fo mor ach, with a slight roll on the r.

As far as blockbuster movies, I figured this resembled Lord of the Rings more than Star Wars. The Cairde would be the Elves.

I wasn't trying to force us into a movie type. I just figured that both songs were well known enough to make my point. Though I am forced to admit I prefer the reversed version. It is more fun to sing, since it is a parody and the original is so somber.

The year was 4000 BC. It was a cloudy, crisp day in the Valley of Tara. The best of the best from the Hibernian Tribe gathered by the river. The river had no name and the people had no city. But these matters would soon change...

Someone cried out "The roads have been built. Homes are going up, we're by the river in a fertile valley by the highest mountain in the area. What's to stop us now? Let's make this our Capital City and expand from here."

A loud cheer went up from the crowd. Another voice came, "Let's call our Capital Tara, after the beautiful valley it will be built in!" Another uproar from the crowd. The Hiberian people had settled and would celebrate until dawn. A glorious day, indeed.

A brave Warrior was chosen to go forth from the Capital and explore the area that surrounded Tara. He first followed the river to the SouthEast, catching his nightly dinner in the fast moving waters of the Tara River. Finding a safe crossing point halfway to the rivers mouth, he did so nd continued his journey on the North side of the river. The Tara River opens up to the sea at its end in a mineral rich, fertile delta. It was decided that this place would be the location where our second city was estblished. The Warrior continued North, up the coast where the hills met the sand. Traveling inland the explorer found several areas where the plants and trees produce a fragrant smoke when burned or boiled. He would bring some of the tree barks, flowers and oily resins back to the city.

The call went out for more Warriors. Some were needed to protect the cities, yes, I said cities. A second Hibernian city was founded on the Sourthern coast. It too had a beautiful name. Moira. The city on the Emerld Coast. Back to the Warriors -

Now there were four Warriors, each scouting and moving around in their own quadrant of our world. Each had stories to tell when they returned. One had found a volcano and small village. Another found a great body of water, proving we were on a peninsula, plus he found another small village not far from the Capital city.

Tara is building a Granary to store food for the winter in. Moira is concentrating on producing military and workers. Our world was expanding. Soon we would take to the waters...

Cyc the Warrior found a friendly tribe that not only gifted us their gold, but showed us the trail to their DYE fields. They are a long way off, maybe we'll get them in the new millenia. Furiey the Warrior found hills that over look a new Bay to the West. DaveShack the Warrior headed North and found a band of 5 Goth Barbarians headed towards Tara. He fortified on a mountain and waited for billybones27 to join him.

Anyone who wants to start writing our History, be my guest. I'm just jotting down facts here from the T/Cs. Please feel free to embellish to your heart's content.

Top Bottom