Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Monotheism (Crusaders; Cathedrals; Michelangelo's Chapel): 3 techs

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leowind

Emperor
We are only a couple turns away from our current research goal (Philosophy), and with the free tech we should get, only one more tech to research away from our next goal (Trade). Seems like a good time to start talking about what our goal after we've discovered Trade should be. I've tried to list all the available choices (without getting into real long-term things), but feel free to suggest something not listed.

I'm torn between Monotheism and Mapmaking. I would love Mapmaking next to get exploring and settling new islands, with Monotheism and a more long term goal. With this in mind I've actually voted Mono.

To prepare for our foreign adventures, we need a strong domestic base and the ability to build strong fast attack units. To this end, I would aim at Monotheism. Crusaders become available and Mike's chapel will allow greater population growth to increase production.

Suitable alternate techs are Mapmaking and the Astronomy path.

I waited to post to allow others to begin the discussion, but now I must speak. Monotheism is vital, yes, but my experience is that the AI will begin Cops Obs before Mike's. Seems like I'm always in a race to finish it. I would like to see us go after Astronomy before Monotheism for this reason. We need both, going after Astronomy first, IMHO, gives the best chance of guaranteeing both. And completing Cops Obs can get us to Monotheism even faster.

I voted Astronomy and as the Royal Science Advisor urge all other NUF citizens to do the same :)

Well if you say so :)

I would have voted for Mono but it can wait awhile and then have Map making as the reserve tech.

Now that you've pointed this out, I agree. Cop Obs is another Must Get. Change my vote to Astronomy.

Astronomy it will be, we must have Cop Obs in Elysium!
Start a wonder in Elysium build some caravans and bring them to Elysium but don't let them contribute to the wonder yet (we don't want to finish it until we've switched it to Cop Obs.
After trade go for astronomy right away and we'll be fine. If a tech to go to astronomy is not available go for mapmaking, after that monotheism.

Hmm, I would like to get Map Making as soon as we can without detouring from Astronomy or Monotheism. So, if the AI normally goes for Coppies before Mike's then lets head for Astromony woth Map MAking as a backup incase relevent techs are not avaliable.

Leowind, you have persuaded me. I voted for Monotheism too soon. Please construe my vote as for Astronomy.

But please, when you are all thinking about prebuilding wonders, take Caravans into account. I mean this: we could probably take time to build a Library in Elysium, and have 6 cavarans ready to go to build Cop's.

Since we know they have it, why don't we just take Mapmaking from the Vikings so we don't have to research it?

because we will need boats to take it by force, although now that we have phil/currency they may trade

I feel mapmaking is important if we want war, but if we manage to bribe a boat it becomes less important. Trading for it is a good idea, but their attitude to us is unco-operative, and iirc, they won't trade until they are respectful.

Let's just conquer any city the naughty Vikings put on our continent and we will have mapmaking. Another good thing of bribing any Viking city we may find: we also get mapmaking!!!

I'm humbled and grateful that my arguments have carried some weight on this issue. The plan proposed originally by Civ1-addict and supported by others is excellent. I suspect GaryNemo has a very valid point as well considering pre-building wonders. We have three techs to get through before we get Astronomy, assuming we don't have to take a side tech along the way. IF we can get some caravans built that are not needed for trade routes, then we certainly have time to build something else in Elysium before we start a wonder there.

Leowind, you are The Best! Of course, other good minds have suggested we steal Maps from the Cursed Vikings. We may get a chance. Or, exchange knowledge with them, a possibility, but I'm not sure what I'm willing to give them.

Let's plan for War. I have suggested we dispatch the Precious Legion from Elysium, retain the Warrior Police, let GG build its own Warrior Guard. We may need to wait 2 turns until the Temple of Elysium is completed, or maybe not. Not sure.

And, plan to build Cop's, with Caravans all at once under control.

I can't vote for the moment, but I agree on Astronomy. Mapmaking we should get from the vikings if they have placed a city on our continent. I don't know how sure we are that they have settled here, but if they have, we should either steal the technology and then destroy the city, or bribe or capture the city so we get a free tech from them.:)

Yes, I meant to imply, if not explicitly stated, that we should get Map Making from the Vikings by stealing/bribing/conquering a city, if there is one on our continent. Perhaps we should not be quite so hasty to head North and give them time to establish one?

I'd say it's high odds that they have settled on our continent. Now IIRC we can take a tech only by military capture, not by revolt. That's a little delicate because if the city is too small it's destroyed, not captured. :(

I'm quite sure you get a tech if you incite a revolt in another city.
Think about it: you spend a certain amount of gold (not too much) and you get back: gold + a city + units + a tech.
It sounds quite good to me. Stop rushbuilding and prepare for inciting revolts! ;)

Top Bottom