Our People's Name

Shattered

Lord of Utopia
This is the thread specificly for choosing our people's name. All options need a second reccomendation to go up in a poll. This discussion will continue until we believe that the time has come to poll the names.

My suggestion:
Ivalician Empire

Dyphotian, Dyphotia- root from the greek for enlightened, before anyone says that is too faction related and doesn't represent us, remember that we are enlightened now and have discovered civilization.

Skiachorian, Skiachoria-rooted from shadow dancer, which is an allusion to the platos cave, being the people who control the shadows on the wall, ie controllers of the masses. We plan on herding the masses of other nations to our designs.

Anyways thats what I have now.

Dyphotian, Dyphotia- root from the greek for enlightened, before anyone says that is too faction related and doesn't represent us, remember that we are enlightened now and have discovered civilization.

Skiachorian, Skiachoria-rooted from shadow dancer, which is an allusion to the platos cave, being the people who control the shadows on the wall, ie controllers of the masses. We plan on herding the masses of other nation, to our designs.

Anyways thats what I have now.

Wow! How do you come up with these names? :clap: I like both names, but Dyphotia more, because Skiachoria sounds more warlike/aggresive. Maybe a good name for the Warlords city?

Another proposal. Since we got three factions founding this country, Triad Coalition, Tribal Council and Timus the Protector, I suggest a fine name being an amalgation of three core faction names, and be true to our legacy and history, yet get an original and good name.

The name proposal is

Triambusians

(Triad opening omitting "d", hybridized with tribals for added honoring "b" and the "us" for honoring Timus and plural for "ians" suffix".)

So like triadites? How touching

Hmmm, I'm a fan of Dyphotia.

Btw Shattered, where did you come up with Ivalicians? That sounds very familiar...

As our leaderhead is Alexander, and since our random civ is Japan, I felt that sharing some of the greek mythology around Poseidon, God of the Sea and of Horses might shed some light on a name choice.

I propose that we be named the Cenaead (Sinn-ay-id) people after the invulnerable warrior, named Caeneus, created by Poseidon, as mentioned in the following excerpt from a Greek Mythology website.

Poseidon
(puh-SYE-dun or poh-SYE-dun; Roman name Neptune) was the god of the sea, earthquakes and horses.
Although he was officially one of the supreme gods of Mount Olympus, he spent most of his time in his watery domain.
Poseidon was brother to Zeus and Hades. These three gods divided up creation. Zeus was ruler of the sky, Hades had dominion of the Underworld and Poseidon was given all water, both fresh and salt.

In dividing heaven, the watery realm and the subterranean land of the dead, the Olympians agreed that the earth itself would be ruled jointly, with Zeus as king. This led to a number of territorial disputes among the gods. Poseidon vied with Athena to be patron deity of Athens. The god demonstrated his power and benevolence by striking the Acropolis with his three-pronged spear, which caused a spring of salt water to emerge.
Athena, however, planted an olive tree, which was seen as a more useful favor. Her paramount importance to the Athenians is seen in her magnificent temple, the Parthenon, which still crowns the Acropolis. The people of Athens were careful, all the same, to honor Poseidon as well (as soon as his anger calmed down and he withdrew the flood of seawater with which he ravaged the land after his loss in the contest with Athena).

Poseidon was father of the hero Theseus, although the mortal Aegeus also claimed this distinction. Theseus was happy to have two fathers, enjoying the lineage of each when it suited him. Thus he became king of Athens by virtue of being Aegeus's son, but availed himself of Poseidon's parentage in facing a challenge handed him by King Minos of Crete. This monarch threw his signet ring into the depths of the sea and dared Theseus to retrieve it. The hero dove beneath the waves and not only found the ring but was given a crown by Poseidon's wife, Amphitrite.
Poseidon was not so well-disposed toward another famous hero. Because Odysseus blinded the Cyclops Polyphemus, who was Poseidon's son, the god not only delayed the hero's homeward return from the Trojan War but caused him to face enormous perils. At one point he whipped up the sea with his trident and caused a storm so severe that Odysseus was shipwrecked.
Poseidon similarly cursed the wife of King Minos. Minos had proved his divine right to rule Crete by calling on Poseidon to send a bull from the sea, which the king promised to sacrifice. Poseidon sent the bull, but Minos liked it too much to sacrifice it. So Poseidon asked Aphrodite, the goddess of love, to make Minos's queen, Pasiphae, fall in love with the bull. The result was the monstrous Minotaur, half-man, half-bull.
As god of horses, Poseidon often adopted the shape of a steed. It is not certain that he was in this form when he wooed Medusa. But when Perseus later killed the Gorgon, the winged horse Pegasus sprang from her severed neck. Poseidon sometimes granted the shape-shifting power to others. And he ceded to the request of the maiden Caenis that she be transformed into the invulnerable, male warrior Caeneus.

Wow! How do you come up with these names? :clap: I like both names, but Dyphotia more, because Skiachoria sounds more warlike/aggresive. Maybe a good name for the Warlords city?

I just looked up some greek words and then shortened them and anglacised them a little.
Thanks though:blush:

^^bumpmeister^^ :D

Yama is Japanese for mountain, and we are not in a mountainous region.

If it was more in line, it would be another word, and pigs,horses and fish is not that exciting to be named after.

Can someone soon set up a poll over these proposals? This is an issue all should decide, as we are playing as this nationality the entire game.

I also propose:

Triadians (The founding factions dynasty)
Treislofosoi (Three Hills people)

Anyone ok that we poll nation name right now?

Ivalician Empire
Dyphotian
Skiachorian
Triambusians
Cenaeads
Yamatokos
Triadians
Treislofosoi

Maybe we should have a name for our people, but also a name for the ruling dynasty.

On the other hand, some factions don't RP a Royalty bloodline.

I think we wait until we got 2 more options (total of 10) then we poll them until one got 50 % or more support.

Maybe we should have a name for our people, but also a name for the ruling dynasty.
I think the plan was to come up with a "base" name, and we can add little modifiers to it like "Kingdom of" or "Republic of." We already have "dynasty" names through the names of the factions.

I still wait for 2 more options, then we poll them.

Ivalician Empire
Dyphotian
Skiachorian
Cenaeads
Yamatokos
Treislofosoi

I like these. The two others is a bit too Triad-based.
Maybe some more japanese-based names as we are, after all, playing the japanese... Anyone who knows some japanese? I know that yama means mountain, I can't remember what "tera" means, but I know it's something like "faith" or "belief"... :confused::lol::blush:

Top Bottom