1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

"Our words are backed by nuclear weapons!"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Thunderfall, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

On Thursday night I hinted on the forum that we have something really big coming in the next day or two, and that something is the nuclear weapon in Civilization IV! ;)

In this second preview article, we tell you everything you need to know about nukes in Civ4 and show you some explosive screenshots and animations of the different stages of nuclear explosion. You can see the shockwave, fireball, and the huge mushroom cloud rising above the city. Nothing can be bigger than that! :nuke:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/preview/nukes.php

Enjoy! :)

2. NinjaCool

NinjaCool Chieftain

Holy cow those nukes are awesome and great artical... must have! :nuke: :nuke:

3. vStauffenberg

vStauffenberg Graf

i am speechless

4. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

5. Thunderfall

Be sure to check out the animations and view them in full screen. :) The only thing missing from the GIF animation is the sound effect, but even without it I am sure you can hear it in your head. ;)

6. Naveed

Naveed Chieftain

They seem nice, screenshots look great! Though, can't able to nuke within your borders and not having your units on the would be affected tiles is disappointing, it seems a strange limitation.

7. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Awesome :cool: ! Pretending to kill innocents :cool: !

Nukes look fun it civ4!

:crazyeye:

8. Shigga

Shigga Shiggadelic Baby! :)

In all the time I play civ now (since '91) I used nukes a total of 2 times. So it's kinda *shrug* What's next?- for me. :) I wonder if you can really provoke the AI into nuking you (or some other civ) in the first place. Never happened in civ3. Can you tell me anything about it?

PS: Nice article, anyway:)

9. Lucky The Fox

Lucky The Fox Chieftain

Let there be light! Nukes finally have a satisfying visual effect. ^^

10. Civrules

Civrules We the People

I felt bad for the sheep on the screen... :p ;)
    Nicely done!

11. MRM

MRM Chieftain

Great effect :nuke: :goodjob: :nuke: :cool:

I like the penalty system too ,:cool:

the only thing I wounder about is, shouldn't there be a nuklear winter instead of global warming :confused:

12. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey Procrastinator

Wow! Quite simply awesome.

Hope you had fun with that TF! :D

13. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

14. oagersnap

oagersnap Chieftain

Is it possible to disable nukes when you start a game (so the manhattan project won't even be buildable)?

15. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Just edit the game (XML).

16. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Chieftain

Thanks a lot TF for the work into this !

I myself haven't used a nuke or any aircraft unit since Civ2 (except for one plane in a modded PBEM, where we had the plane at the start), so it's a bit more about curiosity for me... and to see if this area has been improved and will serve any purpose in the game.

What I can say is that, despite some improvements, the nuke feature is still below my expectations. :(

For a start, and this is the 4th time I may ask this question (Civ 1 to Civ 4) : why should I build the Manhattan Project myself ? Assuming that I play on a decent level, and so that my enemies are close to my research abilities, building this wonder is still a waste of shields IMHO. This, if I correctly read that the Manhattan Project is a Wonder that can be built only once, and which allows everyone to build nukes thereafter. A small wonder for this is urgently needed, it makes sense both for gameplay and realistic reasons !

The unlimited range for ICBMs is for once too simplistic. No point in having nuclear subs or silos around the world...

The kill check for units sounds silly, they should be killed no matter what. At least in the targetted tile...

I hope they will change these in the final version. :)

17. Thunderfall

Why would you want to get nuked? ;)

I haven't tried provoking AI into doing that. But if the AIs already dislike you alot and they possess nuclear weapons (expecially before you do), I don't see why they won't use it to good effect.

Personally I don't use nukes much myself (I'm mostly a builder), but nevertheless it's great to have such wonderful nuke effects. :) And it's not just nuke effects. There are great effects for many other things in the game.

It's not one of the setup options, but you can edit it out if you want.

18. LostKing

LostKing Chieftain

So what happens when a city with nukes gets attacked, captured?

19. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

Gee Thunderfall... I must say I didn't expect you to post something this evil on the site :).

Now, look, our previews at Apolyton have troops gathering outside a city as the most evil screen, while you are nuking cities over and over.... ruthless, ruthless admin ;).

20. Jonathan

Jonathan Chieftain

It doesn't seem to be one of the options you can turn off from the Custom Game screen. So yes, you probably need to edit an XML file.

Unless, of course, you go the whole hog and select Always Peace -- an interesting option that I'd like to know more about.