Out of place units

woodelf

Bard
Retired Moderator
Geo mentioned that some units were out of place graphically with the era they were in and what they represented. Garret has offered to redo some units if we give him a 'to-do' list and some ideas.

So what units are too advanced for their era and what could make them more realistic?

Oooooh. Lemme ponder over it during my shift, I'll get back to this tonight. :D

Okay, I'm on it now.
I'll go through the unit list and my unit "library" and see what I would like to see changed/adapted.

I'll add some useless ones as they are implemented now:

Radio Car
Skiff
Sloop
Military Engineer

Radio Car
Skiff
Sloop
Military Engineer

Skip them all. They are redundant. :p

Well, since I still forgot to adjust the plot yields here only two units for starters (the mod CTD'd on me ;) )

From the moment Woodelf uploaded a fixed version, I wondered what happened with the cool space helmet -and backpack that was given to us last year.
Well, I propose to put it back in and also retexture the worker's suit to match the broken white of the helmet+backpack.

For the Moonrover there, another unit that seemed to have disappeared. I suggest to put it back in and replace the Lunar Scout with it (currently the SW atat). I know it's high-poly, but it's a starting unit so won't be around anymore by the time the typical game is in its latter stages.

So, those are two pre-isolation units. More to come.

Attachments

• moonworker.JPG
    moonworker.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 243
  • moonscout.JPG
    moonscout.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 247
Second part.

Okay, I have this idea as to let the helmet/backpack represent how advanced the mooncivs will be (partly of course). So in the first era, you have this big backpacks with the big helmet as shown on the worker in my previous post.

With that in mind, I propose to use a SAM infantry unit like shown below (or bone the SAM infantry to another unit) as a city security unit with only the machinegun as weapon. Remove the launcher completely and put a big helmet/backpack on it. This would be the "warrior" of the earlier game so to speak.
As a first semi-military unit (remember, the mooncivs just prior to/just after Isolation aren't that organized I suggest the grenadier-style unit shown here. Also give it the big helmet+backpack and make it slightly stronger then the security unit. So "mobs" like this have a fighting chance taking a base, especially if culture defense isn't so much an issue since this is not supposed to get high this soon in the game. Personally, I'm not completely happy with the fire effect on this unit's stick, but I guess I should consider it as an engineering torch and the unit a drafted civilian or something. ;)

Except for the colonists, I think these 4 units are sufficient for the first era.

Attachments

• moonsecurity.jpg
    moonsecurity.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 242
  • mooninsurgent.JPG
    mooninsurgent.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 237
Obviously not. ;)

On your moonsloop (the colonist) and the eagle transporter: with your connections to scores of other mods, do you know if it is possible to make an airmission to allow colonisation and one to drop troops?
The thing is I can make the colonist fly around all right (nice animation btw :goodjob: ), but the colony button only works as a regular option, which can't be used simply because the game doesn't allow settling within 2 plots of another base. Same with the Eagle.
I can implement them as helicopter (land domain) units of course but then there's the problem they can't cross rilles (sea terrain), and implementing rilles as a land terrain breaks the graphics (they become black lines on the map, not ravines), so that isn't an option.

I've never heard of that type of airmission Geo, sorry.

We might have to go back to the original idea of having it riding on a truck or something and then "landing".

Can't the 2 tile plot city thing be over-ridden somewhere?

So there's no way in python to have the colony ship "launch" from within culutral borders to complete it's colonization airmission? Do we need a terrain improvement like an airbase?

And does anyone know if the 2 tile city distance can be overwritten or if airmissions can be made like colonization drops?

So there's no way in python to have the colony ship "launch" from within culutral borders to complete it's colonization airmission? Do we need a terrain improvement like an airbase?

And does anyone know if the 2 tile city distance can be overwritten or if airmissions can be made like colonization drops?

The city distance requirement can be extended for sure (the greenmod did that), so I gather it can be shortened too. The problem is that we don't want the colony sloop to increase the population of the base it is in, but to found a new one a reasonable distance away.

As in your airbase, we could work with that in BtS since this improvement (fort) would allow air units. We could land a sloop in one (lets consider a fort being a kind of outpost or pre-construction spot) and let it found the new city right there next turn, or even the same turn if we can give air units 2 moves/turn. That leaves the eagle-drops-its-content on end of an airmission question.

Top Bottom