Out of Synch Errors

tchristensen

Emperor
I play multiplayer Civ4 more so than single player. Of late my friends and I are experiencing OOS errors.

Having reinstalled the game a couple of times doesn't seem to do much. I have found through reading that holding the shift key down on startup helps, but works only sporadically.

Just curious if anyone has found a better work around or a more permanent fix.

I too am experiencing the same issues in both CIV IV and CIV IV BTS. Our OOS Errors occurs around 30 - 50 turns into the game. Yours? Anyway, I called Firaxis. They claim that any human players need to add single port forwarding ports 2033 & 2056 to their list. More if using Gamespy. They also asked that we adjust of windows firewalls. We did all that and I'm 90% it worked for CIV IV. But BTS, not convinced yet. If they claim it to be firewall related and or router port related, would playing directly into one's modem prevent the inevitable OOS Error? Keep me up to date. I hope this helped a little. Firaxis tried. I was on the phone for 45 mins as they asked like 3 other techs. haha. Thread back or email me directly. Let's get this knocked out. Multiplayer is too fun to be plagued by Errors... Let's help eachother. Trial and Error? lol

Brad Frisbie
mtbikepatrol@comcast.net

I too am experiencing the same issues in both CIV IV and CIV IV BTS. Our OOS Errors occurs around 30 - 50 turns into the game. Yours? Anyway, I called Firaxis. They claim that any human players need to add single port forwarding ports 2033 & 2056 to their list. More if using Gamespy. They also asked that we adjust of windows firewalls. We did all that and I'm 90% it worked for CIV IV. But BTS, not convinced yet. If they claim it to be firewall related and or router port related, would playing directly into one's modem prevent the inevitable OOS Error? Keep me up to date. I hope this helped a little. Firaxis tried. I was on the phone for 45 mins as they asked like 3 other techs. haha. Thread back or email me directly. Let's get this knocked out. Multiplayer is too fun to be plagued by Errors... Let's help eachother. Trial and Error? lol

Brad Frisbie
mtbikepatrol@comcast.net

We used to run pretty clean with the OOS errors, but ever since some of the players upgraded to Windows 7 we have had a horrible time of it.

Oddly, if we play over a Direct IP on the net, we rarely get this. If we play on an internal LAN we have some nights we never get it, other sessions are constant headaches with restarts every 20 turns or so.

I think it is based on the mods we play and the size of the map and the number of units in game. also mixing Windows 7 with XP looks to be a sore spot.

I have found that holding down the shift key when starting the game, helps. I guess it clears out some sort of cache.

I will need to look at the ports on my router, that may help.

Thanks for sharing.

This is a constant issue for my friend and I, who live across the country from each other. We have not tried anything more than the normal gamespy multiplayer accounts that are offered. No mods are being used, we're only vanilla patched the most current on Steam.

Will try the solutions presented here and post any results we have.

Someone on another forum posted that if all players load the K-Mod and use direct IP, they hav had no OOS errors since. Anybody try this? If so, please post ur results. Thanks! :)

Just a side note: I was also experiencing OOS erros during multiplayer matches with a friend. We used Civ4 BtS 3.19 with BUG mod and were able to nail it down to BUGs additional unit selection possibilities. After we switched them off and used only hotkeys to group-assign units (STRG+g then left click instead of STRG+left click and so on) everything worked fine and we had not a single OOS since then (used direct IP connection btw).

Knightly_

I'm not new to CIV but I am new to mods and stuff. Let me break down what u saidso I understand. haha. Anyway, ur saying for me to download the "BUG" mod from this website. Load it with BTS 3.19. Then play without using the "additional unit selection possibilities? <- What's that? And how do we group units through hot keys? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. But everyone's gota start somewhere. Thanks! Hope u get back to me soon.

Try to disable random events and choose a reasonable amount of civs, in BtS you shouldn't get much OOS - we're currently playing a game on huge map with 9 civs and never had to reload due to an OOS.

edit: OOS occasionally happens after a certain time, especially during the modern era. The host just needs to save the game then reload it.

edit 2: As the game evolves, the OOS happens frequently in the modern era. It should be fine with smaller map and less civs I presume.

Top Bottom