OUTrage! Lies from Religion and History Textbooks.

Without seeing sources/texts firsthand I can't make much judgement other than agree it's unfortunate if history texts include clearly untrue distortions of the truth. It happens in a lot of places in a lot of ways, but fortunately I didn't seem to have texts on World History with some of the problems you're describing.

Btw, just as an aside on something egregious I couldn't let go, I'm pretty sure, if anything, it was Nazi science that "put a man on the moon." Of course, I've got nothing against recognizing that Nazi ideology was in many ways based in various Christian beliefs or history, but that has been hotly contested around here as well.

Weren't a lot of the greatest philosophers of the Muslim world Jewish, some Christians, and others not particularly religious?

Yes, and that was the beauty of the Islamic (call it Arabic if you want) world back then, everyone worked together, no matter what your religion (though people who weren't Muslim did suffer a certain tax, but at least they weren't being burned at the stake).

Nobody friggin' listens to me.

Where does Tekee live? He's into this pan-slavic, Russian nationalism crap, but it seems he lives somewhere in the West. Also, how old is he?

Yes, and that was the beauty of the Islamic (call it Arabic if you want) world back then, everyone worked together, no matter what your religion (though people who weren't Muslim did suffer a certain tax, but at least they weren't being burned at the stake).

When things changed, Scientific study became stillborn in Islamic culture. In the early few centuries of the last millenium there were many great Arabic/Islamic Scientists, but afterwards you see very little of scientific progress. It is under the Christianised Western Europe (Especially the less Catholicised areas) that you see the explosion, after the Reformation and Renaissance.

When things changed, Scientific study became stillborn in Islamic culture. In the early few centuries of the last millenium there were many great Arabic/Islamic Scientists, but afterwards you see very little of scientific progress. It is under the Christianised Western Europe (Especially the less Catholicised areas) that you see the explosion, after the Reformation and Renaissance.

Less Catholicised areas like... Italy? Portugal? Spain...? Pretty important places during the Renaissance.

Lets not forget France. They were up to a whole lot of nothing during those centuries too.

The most glarining lie was that they said that "During the 80's Soviet citizens had to wait in long lines to get food, that was often sub-standard and of inferior quality"
WHAT! Are they crazy! They are neutral throughout the enitre other textbook but they think this is not neutral? Sounds like a lie just by reading it never mind understanding that NO ONE has ever EVER complained about Soviet Food being sub-standard.
Kindly allow me to be the first then.
Also, I shall bet nuggets against nuts that contrary to myself, you have never been inside grocery store in USSR, much less bought anything therein.

"During the 80's Soviet citizens had to wait in long lines to get food, that was often sub-standard and of inferior quality"

You mean that doesn't happen today? The Soviets were clearly ahead of their time.

Why are Russian emigrants usually more nationalist-minded than the real Russians? :mischief:
Well it reminds me of all those really nationalist Germans born in Austria, Russia, Argentina, Denmark, Egypt and Czechia...

You know...maybe that "More like Germans then Russians" thing is really a false dilemma. :mischief:

classical_hero said:
When things changed, Scientific study became stillborn in Islamic culture. In the early few centuries of the last millenium there were many great Arabic/Islamic Scientists, but afterwards you see very little of scientific progress.

Massive exogenous shocks to the system like this probably account for that.

classical_hero said:
It is under the Christianised Western Europe (Especially the less Catholicised areas) that you see the explosion, after the Reformation and Renaissance.

Winner's right here, Catholicism wasn't a major impediment to progress.

Ecofarm said:
Ascribing scientific advancements to religion is farcical on its face. The case of "Islamic Science" is nothing more than geographical and historical laziness (or perhaps flat-out ****** propaganda).

Ascribing science to 'Western culture' is equally ******ed at face value. The West is really just a product of geographical, historical and religious factors none of which are really relevant today. :rolleyes:

Ecofarm said:
I would say that calling it "islamic science" is definately a BECAUSE. That's why I propose using the time period or geographical ancestral roots... as accurate.

So it should now be called "science from the period X1 to X2" or "science for that area that runs from Spain in the west, to Persia in the east, to Asia Minor in the north, to Sudan in the south"? Or can we just call it "Islamic science" which makes sense when you take into account the sole unifying factor in the advancement in a broad period in a very large part of the world, Islam (with the exception of the Romani).

There is no "Islamic science".

Only "Islamic myth".

To pretend otherwise is a joke.

Do we call the science that spanned North America, South America, Europe, parts of Africa and pockets in Asia... "Christian Science"? No, because that would be inaccurate. As inaccurate as referring to scientific advancements in Spain as "Islamic Science". If anything, that's European Science and Islam being there was just an unfortunate coincidence. Are advancements in Spain before and after Islam's presence called Christian Science? No. Is US science called Christian Science? No.

Calling science that happened in places with muslim rulership "Islamic Science" is so freaking ridiculous... it is insulting.

Ecofarm said:
There is no "Islamic science". Only "Islamic myth".

It refers to one specific commonality, find me another and we can call it that. But since you won't be able to and better minds have already tried, why the hell do you care so much about it?

Ecofarm said:
Do we call the science that spanned North America, South America, Europe, parts of Africa and pockets in Asia... "Christian Science"?

We call it "western" science which has nothing to do with either A) geography or B) a time period. Should we rename that then?

Ecofarm said:
As inaccurate as referring to scientific advancements in Spain as "Islamic Science".

Don't be anachronistic, Spain didn't exist as we know it now, there was a very real divide technologically, socially and economically between the Islamic south and the Christian north. To assert that it was "Spanish" or anything related in the least bit to "Spain" as we conceive it now is ridiculous.

Ecofarm said:
If anything, that's European Science and Islam being there was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Except the former in "Spain" couldn't have happened without the latter. You know, the whole migration of the Berbers and the Arabs, the conquest of Al-Andalusia, the transmittance of Greek learning through the Arabic language into Europe and all that other jazz. There likely wouldn't have been a "European science" in the absence of the Arabic language Greek classics which passed through Spain.

Ecofarm said:
Are advancements in Spain before and after Islam's presence called Christian Science?

No, most were built upon earlier foundations laid by Muslims, using Arabic, who freely disseminated knowledge into intellectual vapid Europe.

This Islamic fantasy history is funny. I guess we should humor them.

Oh sure...oh sure... science would not exist if it was not for muslims.

Ecofarm said:

Reality hurts I guess?

Ecofarm said:

No, you just need to learn to read. In Spain might have been a hint.

You really don't get it, do you? And I gave you credit for having some knowledge and intelligence.

Never mind.:sad:

Top Bottom