1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Over the Reich - Post release feedback, bug support, hints, etc.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by JPetroski, Feb 9, 2020.

1. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

@Prof. Garfield and I have released what we hope will be the final version of Over the Reich. We are starting this thread for post-release support as a 43-page development thread from 2011 is probably a poor place for that.

This scenario has been a doozy to create and consumed most of my Civ2 time since 2011. I'd like to thank everyone for their help on this one over the years, first and foremost @Prof. Garfield, @Knighttime , and @Grishnach for their assistance with the lua code, which made the scenario fairly elegant for the user. @Fairline , @Tanelorn , @CurtSibling , @techumseh , @insurgent , and @Catfish for various unit, icon, and city art. @Civinator and @tootall_2012 for the help over the years, and finally to @McMonkey for suffering through various playtests over the years which identified significant flaws in the design and fun factor of the game which could only be addressed by lua.

If there are bugs or major concerns we will address them here. I'd love for any of you to strike up a game and am willing to play you if you can't find a partner. You can also play this game in hotseat mode against yourself, and while you won't have a true fog of war, @tootall_2012 gave us some good tips to incorporate a degree of randomness. There is a 10% chance your aircraft won't take off for a sortie and a 25% chance their attacks will fail in "single player" mode.

Please let us know what questions, concerns, comments, or emotional outbursts you may have in this thread.

You can download the current scenario here.

gapetit, Fairline, techumseh and 4 others like this.
  2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Congrats for finishing this great project. :clap:

Edit: After having a first closer look into the new download of OTR, I think it´s correct to say, that this is a milestone in the history of Civ 2. :goodjob:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Prof. Garfield and JPetroski like this.
  3. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I'm also up for a game if anyone is interested.

If you're playing the Allies, you're going to want Tempests and their 1000lb bombs to support your invasion. Having some veterans (which produce vet bombs) would be quite useful, but targets that take a lot of bombs to kill don't result in many veterans. You might want to consider building Hurricanes early to take advantage of the softer targets in France towards the start of the war (even planes are much better than gun batteries to achieve veteran status), in order to have some Ace fighter bomber pilots later in the war.

Similarly, damaged B17s are going to be your primary source of veteran bomber crews for your more fragile, but more bomb laden, B24s.

4. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi John and Prof. Garfield,

This was not only a monumental project but has proven groundbreaking in its innovation and concepts.

Congratulations to both of you!

JPetroski likes this.
  5. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

You're actually done? This thread has become an institution on SL. I'll miss the updates. Congratulations!

JPetroski likes this.
  6. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Excellent job...This scenario will be my tutorial on learning to use Lua...!

JPetroski likes this.
  7. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Yes :lol: It... is... alive!

I'm sure there'll be some minor updates for a goof here and there but nothing major is planned to change in the multiplayer version. If you or anyone else looked at the thread that started in 2011 and decided, "Yeah, I'm not going to strike up a game just yet - those knuckleheads will be changing it in a week" it is now safe to enjoy.

Someone play this, darn it! Pick your poison, I'll play the other side! Prof. Garfield is also up for a game! Don't make us play each other! He keeps beating me up! My ego can't take it! But it will, if need be, because this scenario is fun and I want to play it again!

I'd say to let it inspire you and get the gears churning about what we've done and how it might be tweaked, enhanced, or altered for your own purposes, but as Prof. Garfield has warned me, I wouldn't use it as your tutorial - Prof. Garfield is a mad scientist super genius who was cut loose on the world of lua. The events are kind of akin to one of those artists who throw watermelons and everything else at a canvass. Brilliant, I'd say, but I've learned a lot more from his toned down lessons.

8. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi John,

I downloaded the latest version of the scenario yesterday and started reading the guide. I've made some other commitments including the one to you to try and get Alesia out by Spring but I'm definitely going to try and put some time aside to attempt to play OTR in solo mode.

I already loved so many of the features and cool concepts you introduced in the game and I believe the random mechanism you implemented should make things even more interesting and challenging then my last, if brief, attempt to play the scenario.

JPetroski likes this.
  9. Fairline

Fairline King

Congrats JP :goodjob:

JPetroski likes this.