1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Overcoming the negative health of floodplains

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by guenzak, May 22, 2009.

1. guenzak

guenzak Warlord

What have you found to be the best strategy for overcoming the :yuck: produced by floodplains? I am currently playing a game where my second city is just about surrounded by floodplains. I did this on purpose because I love to build cottages on floodplains and am persueing a space victory. But I have never had a city with so many floodplains and the :yuck: is killing my growth amongst other things.

Looking for ideas

btw....playing Vanilla

2. charon2112

charon2112 King

I would say forests, don't cut them down, and build your city adjacent to a river for starters. also, animal sources add health...

3. guenzak

guenzak Warlord

The city is already built so I am where i am....and not a tree to be had for miles around. I'm going from memory of playing last night (at work right now..lol) but I think out of all my BFC tiles 16 are flood plains. I know I have 4 hills (2 have gold) and 2 grasslands...I forget what the other 2 are but I know they arent forests.

I kind of did this on purpose because I thought of all those floodplains tiles with cottages on them but didn;lt consider the :yuck: when I click on the settle button. My civ does have access to cow and rice at the moment but those are the only :health: resources close by. There are other :health: resources on the continent but not close by so it will be a while till i can get access to them unless i trade for them if other civs get to them first.

4. nbcman

nbcman King

@ guenzak

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The 3 :food: per FP tile will still allow an additional citizen even if you are above your health cap. I assume that you have built a granary to allow for the extra +1 :health: for rice. If you can trade your cow for corn or wheat and you have the granary built, you can trade the cow that is currently giving you +1 :health: for wheat/corn for +2 :health:.

In the future I would divide the 16 flood plains between two or more cities.

5. guenzak

guenzak Warlord

The 3 food per FP tile does allow for growth but if I keep all my citizens on the FP tiles i have next to nothing as far as production. The :yuck: is so bad that even if I move ONE citizen from a FP to one of the hill tiles with a mine I end up stagnant. I had to do that to build the granary or it was going to take around 40 turns to build. So if i want to build anything I am stagnant in growth. If I grow I can;t build anything

6. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

The obvious answer is get things that increase health. Trade for animal/grain/fish food resources, prioritize those resources for your expansions and make road connecitons, build a granary, get to aquaducts. Hold off building a forge, since that has an unhealthiness penalty. There really isn't any trick to dealing with health problems - simply get things that give you a health bonus. Once your city is built where it is, you're kind of stuck doing this.

Oh, if by some chance there are jungles in your city radius, chop them down. Every two jungles is another negative health.

7. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

Also, if you are running slavery, don't worry about whipping things that give you health benefits, especially whipping the granary. Since it cuts down on the unhealthiness as well as its population increase benefit, you get the city's population back quickly.

8. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

Cottage that city up, make it your capital, and run bureau - you won't need too many buildings to make a 16 FP city ridiculously powerful. Meanwhile, claim as many other health resources as you can with other cities.

9. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Gotta build that city on the riverbank. Obviously if there are floodplains, there's a riverbank. I once made the mistake of settling on a desert tile surrounded by floodplain, and patted myself on the back for avoiding having a worthless tile in my city radius. :cry: Never again...

Beyond that (and building the obvious improvements and resource trading), there's not much you can do... unhealthies aren't the worst thing in the world, anyway. With enough of a food surplus you can keep growing up to your happiness cap (which is the real limit to city size, IMO) despite having unhealthies.

10. Willem

Willem Deity

I try to avoid building right on the Floodplains now. I'll place a few cities around them so that each one will only get a max of 4 of the tiles each. That makes the health problems much more manageable. Otherwise the city is next to useless in no time.

11. Scramble

Scramble Warlord

My advice is this:
    Obviously push those health resorces, and if you can, trade them. Grocers, Supermarkets, grannaries; all natural coices. Avoid airports, forges, coal plants and factories.
    All this sounds obvious, but consider this option. You say you can't use your hills (unused gold OMG). Farm some of those floodplains. 2 or 3 out of 16 is a good investment if it allows for you to use the gold without going stagnant. For later on, when you get biology those 2 farms will be that much more usefull, and the health bonuses that come with it will make it a powerhouse. Also remember that one day those cottages will produce a hammer...

12. guenzak

guenzak Warlord

When does the cottage produce a hammer???

13. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Here:

:D

Towns produce one hammer when you're on Universal Suffrage. Also, they do when you have a levy going on a flood plain, but, that doesn't really have anything to do with the town...

14. Blaarg

Blaarg Prince

You should move the workers from the desert/hill mine on the west side of town to the plains/hill mine on the northeastern side of town.

15. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

I know... This screen shot is over a year old. That will torment me forever :p

16. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

I read through this quickly so probably missed it somewhere, but you should not forget about trade with other Civs. Trade for health resources when possible/beneficial!!! Trade off any extra mineral resources such as copper (esp when it is rendered obsolete, though strategic considerations such as trading iron to a Civ you're about to attack isn't smart) or happiness resources, cash or just demand it :D

17. arikajohnson

arikajohnson Chieftain

Yea, I never understood floodplains too much. Maybe someone could help me. Like, I guess I don't really understand what a floodplain is and why it is bad for my city and people.

Also, one of the first things I do when I am near a flood plain is build an AQUEDUCT. I don't know, I just go into the mode of doing what it takes to add more health to my city.

18. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

@ arika

In real-life, a floodplain is (generally) a flat area near a river which experiences seasonal flooding in which vast qualities of fertile soil is deposited, thus allowing people to grow lots of food there. I.e. the Egyptian Empire was fed by the Nile, Delta and the surrounding floodplains. They are unhealthy because of the seasonal flooding, unable to create permanent houses cities there? (for the purposes of Civ4 and game balance)

You do not need an aqueduct there unless you have more :yuck: than :health: and it is consuming your food or preventing growth. Early in the game it is a waste of time/hammers to build an aqueduct when health is not yet a problem. It is best to wait until you need the aqueduct and :whipped: it with that excess population you have sitting around!!!!

19. arikajohnson

arikajohnson Chieftain

Cooool, thanks.

20. Blaarg

Blaarg Prince

I assumed they were unhealthy because the stagnant water that resulted from the river receding would be a breading ground for disease ridden bitting insects.