1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Overcrowding in Urban Centres

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Citizens' started by ali, Oct 12, 2004.

1. ali

ali Chieftain

G'day id like to reduce and prevent overcrowding in cities by proposing that we do not build city improvements that allow a city population to go past level 8 with level 12 being the maximum.....this is to reduce 1) overcrowding (obvious) which will than prevent unhappy citzens because of this 2) prevent any future pollution controls problems.

Cities that have reached past level 12 will have their city improvements that allowed them to get past this point sold and produce settlers these settlers will be relocated to other cities (especially the Roman occuppied Zones) for relocation programs.

so ppl lets discuss??

2. invy

invy Chieftain

Totaly disagree. I've done everything to boost city growth and production and now this idea would ruin everything. Besides that the idea is not good from any aspect. Selling improvements? and stopping the pop at 8? No way.

3. ali

ali Chieftain

Just the improvements that support population growth, we can be more productive by creating more cities and conquering more!!

4. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Size 8 is a Civ2 limit. This is Civ3.

5. ali

ali Chieftain

lol oooppps

6. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Absolutely not. Pop = Power.

7. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

The benefits of a size 25 city far outweight its disabilties. I suggest you try a game with metropolises, ali.

8. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Why would we cut off our arms and limit our growth? Like Rik said, people = power. The more power we have, the more taxes we get, the higher the production, the higher the science, etc.

9. Epimethius

Epimethius Wish I Hadn't Been Here

As mayor Odawara I assure you, we will only expand outwards, not upwards, and will usher in a new age of urban spawl! :p

But we're building that hospital.

10. ali

ali Chieftain

oh well....but i mean cant we simply build more towns to compensate the benefits of the massive cities??

11. Civman2004

Civman2004 Something goes here...

Why would we want to? We want to be able to produce things quickly. Even if the overall number of shields is the same, we would take much longer to produce each thing. That's not really what we want. Five cities each producing a tank every 3-4 turns is much more useful than 20 cities that each take 16 turns to build

12. ali

ali Chieftain

hey matey wat part of sydeny are u from??.........meh good point i was just thinking it was a interesting idea lol

13. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

It would take dozens and dozens of towns to even begin to compensate for the lack of metros; corruption would take its toll. Like Civman posted: "Five cities each producing a tank every 3-4 turns is much more useful than 20 cities that each take 16 turns to build." I have to agree with that.

14. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chieftain

Sounds like ali crashed and burned on this one. ;)

15. genghis_khev

genghis_khev Surviving Monarch Level

Ali, I understand you idea but have to agree with larger and fewer settlements. Corruption is a killer.

The only thing I would add to this is lets make sure they are properly defended otherwise we'll have our enemies producing tanks every 4-5 turns!

16. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Why am i happy in this city? Because it is overcrowded. :)