1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Overlord scenario playtest with Japanese Empire

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by civ2units, Jul 13, 2020.

1. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I tend to agree with you that it probably isn't needed, but some lua programmers have done some pretty interesting stuff with unit #s (it's the wrong term but what I mean is, the 10th unit built, the 300th unit built, etc.) where they are able to store information about it. This is how @SorFox gets his nifty land transporter to work. I believe some other coders are playing around with it too.

So, we probably "could" store some information about certain specific units and assign them a name if we were so inclined. This is new stuff though and I think @Prof. Garfield and @Knighttime were discussing whether or not they felt these attributes would remain true for an entire game or be, effectively, recycled at some point.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. Just wanted to point this out :)

2. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

At the moment, I believe that the id numbers of units do not change. I discuss this here. You can't change the name of a unit type via Lua, so you can't change the name of a unit shown based on which unit is activated, but you could have events that happen when a specific unit is activated or participates in combat. So, you could have a message saying that 'Bismark is awaiting orders' when clicking on a certain German battleship, or, say, "Bismark sinks HMS Hood" if a particular German Battleship sinks a particular British battle ship. I'm inclined to think that this sort of thing could get confusing or annoying for the player. Perhaps, you could give units 'names' that are only shown in the help message activated by a key (usually tab in existing implementations), and are not really crucial to actual gameplay.

For what it is worth, I'm confident enough in using unit id numbers to reliably reference specific units that I have Strategos 'retire' after 40 years (8 turns) in my modification of A Soaring Spirit.

3. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

While I appreciate your input, guys - And I do wish to use your amazing Lua creation in a few sceanrios under construction.
    The scenario is a global scale war, and too big for individual "hero" units. If it was a tactical scenario, what Civinator wanted
    my be viable. In the scope of the current design, creating one-off units does not fit.

What you chaps have posted gave me food for thought, and I would like to explore the possibilities for American Kingdoms II.

4. civ2units

civ2units Prince

February 1943
    Turn 24

These damn Chinese. Another Type-97 Chi-Ha tank destroyed by a chinese bomber.
    Heavy battles around Nanning. Most of chinese resistance between Xining and Lanchow is defeated. But I lost one Artillery.

Soviet Assault Troops apeared near Pantow. What are these communists doing so far south of the Gobi Desert? They gave a good target for my bomber pilots. :bump:

5. civ2units

civ2units Prince

March 1943
    Turn 25

Nanning conquered. I don`t know why but it seems that the Chinese have build up a new army. I´ve spotted one Cruiser and several Artillery and Tanks at my cities.

6. civ2units

civ2units Prince

April 1943
    Turn 26

Some minor battles in China. I think I sunk the last american Battleship.
    Interestingly the Soviets destroyed the Garrisons in Danzig and Königsberg, but didn´t seize the cities.

7. civ2units

civ2units Prince

May 1943
    Turn 27

Regrouping my army for a new attack on chinese positions.
    Imperial Marines on their way to Medan.

8. civ2units

civ2units Prince

June 1943
    Turn 28

I think it's also time to conquer Taliwang

9. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Curt, with the individual naming of units of the same type (using all the same unit slot) I´m writing about 'global scale war'. I attache in spoilers a screenshot about the Civ 3 North African Theatre in the scenario Storm over Europe (SOE) at the start on September 1939. It is much more fun to watch the progress of a named unit in a scenario and gives much more stuff to the reports about playing such a scenario, when there can be reported about the progress of individual units in the game. A report about a British infantry unit in a WW2 scenario capturing Tobruk is nice, a report about the 3rd Coldstream Guards capturing Tobruk, is better.

From time to time I post some thoughts about features I would like to see in Civ2 ToTPP, to give the great Civ 2 modders some input, if this could be done with the current possibilities of Civ2 ToTPP, especially in Lua.

Some of these thoughts in the past:

Individual movement sounds for the units: No enmovement trigger; despite that doable in Lua, but not done cause of security reasons.
    Individual names of units: See this thread
    Animated units with full combat animations of both sides: No interest to think about it (what is really a pitty)
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  10. civ2units

civ2units Prince

July 1943
    Turn 29

Conquered the neutral cities Medan and Taliwang. The neutral leader begged for a peace treaty. Let's see, how long the treaty will stand.

11. civ2units

civ2units Prince

August 1943
    Turn 30

What should I say. Minutes after we signed a peacy treaty with the Neutral Alliance, they started a sneak attack on my troops. The Führer, far away in Berlin, announced his help against these fools.
    There must be a chinese Bomber factory somewhere in Tibet. Every turn I've been attacked.

Soviets in the Gobi Desert. At least a very short journey for them, until my Ki-67 Hiryu Bomber arrived.

12. civ2units

civ2units Prince

September 1943
    Turn 31

Conquered Sian in central China.

13. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

civ2units, what about posting some screenshots about the global situation of your test-game ?

14. civ2units

civ2units Prince

This text box appeared, saying that the Germans signed a peace treaty forced by the United Nations wonder.
    It's only a message box, I think you can change the text in the game.txt file.
    upload_2020-7-24_23-2-26.png

15. civ2units

civ2units Prince

Sure, of course. Here we go :):
    upload_2020-7-24_23-4-15.png
    The Eastern Front in Europe

While I´m waiting for my turn, I always notice heavy battles here, Danzig and Königsberg are under siege. Also heavy battles near L'vov. But the AI don't conquer any cities.

16. civ2units

civ2units Prince

upload_2020-7-24_23-7-37.png
    Scandinavia under Soviet Invasion

The Soviets also trying to invade Scandinavia.

17. civ2units

civ2units Prince

upload_2020-7-24_23-9-26.png
    Indonesia mostly under Japanese rule

Currently I´ve conquered most of Indonesia.

18. civ2units

civ2units Prince

upload_2020-7-24_23-12-34.png
    US navy on the shores of Vietnam

My Submarine has to deal with them:D

19. civ2units

civ2units Prince

upload_2020-7-24_23-14-6.png
    Japanese in Central China

Last but not least Central China. This is currently my hardest front I'm fighting on.:ar15:

20. civ2units

civ2units Prince

October 1943
    Turn 32

Fightings in Borneo, Central China and the Manchuria. My glorious army still hold stand.