1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Overpowered Rock Bands

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mikey1993, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Mikey1993

Mikey1993 Chieftain

England just turned my main city of Stirling into a free state with 2 rock bands? Promotion of -50 loyalty per concert...this is crazy..or am I crazy? :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

2. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

It is pretty powerful but I wouldn't call it op. You either need to really spam bands to get lucky enough to get 2 Indies or take the policy card that lets you choose promotions but that's pretty late game. Then when you do use your indie band their likelihood of surviving their first gig is pretty weak without one of the "performs at a higher" level buffs.

TLDR: you ain't flipping that many cities with them.

Infixo likes this.
  3. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

It is OP. It completely cripples the city.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

It is overtuned.

However, you can just block rock bands with your own units; or just kill them.

5. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

If you're going for a cultural victory I suppose you could flip a target city with say a theatre square, ampitheatre, and museum, to a free city, conquer it, install a governor and various other measures to instill loyalty. All while maintaining good relations (and open borders) with AI's.

6. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Chieftain

I hate Rock Bands so much.

7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

On paper it is. In practice it isn't. First you really have to spam a lot of bands just to get two indies at the same time. Second, it's highly likely that one of those two indie bands will disband after one concert. That means if you want to repeat it you have to spam another half dozen bands again just to get another indie band. That's a ton of faith just to mess up a city or two.

Indies are less OP than Eleanor's ability and I dont hear many screaming that she needs a nerf.

Victoria and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  8. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

Well late or not ,I always end-up destroying a couple of civilizations with the policy card. Nothing is left but revolting cities turning slowly to my empire. That's what I do in every 'peacefull' game I play.

9. The Swede

The Swede Viking

bengalryan9 likes this.
  10. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

but how often is the game in balance at that point? If it definitely tilted the game in your favor over someone who was beating you I'd say yeah, overpowered, but that's rare in this game. Usually by the time that card is unlocked one civ is steamrolling it's way to victory already.

11. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

At that time I'm on my way to victory for sure , finalizing.But if they ever was a contender ,he's not gonna stand a chance :)

Pietato and Socrates99 like this.
  12. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I use them with Eleanor ... I can start a chain reaction of cities flipping. Also really helps with Dido XD

13. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Eleanor takes work. Indie Bands just require 2 spots to play, and someone's capital is now crippled halfway across the map.

Karmah likes this.
  14. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

Havent gotten that far yet (still pretty new). Shouldnt you be able to easily mitigate Rock Band effects in XML?

15. Mikey1993

Mikey1993 Chieftain

but you have to be at war with someone to kill the rock bands, no? I realized I made a mistake when i accepted the peace treaty offer and the next turn 5 rock bands were rolling into my cities. Yes, it was Eleanor. I'm glad some agree it is quite insanely powerful at the moment..

16. Mikey1993

Mikey1993 Chieftain

It is just crazy to me since I was dominating the game but in an instant 2 rock bands turn my capital city into a free-state lol. I took it back but still that's not the point. Eleanor was spamming rock bands like there was no tomorrow. I had to stay at war

Seemed relatively easy for her to keep promoting bands with the -50 loyalty perk

17. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Chieftain

The high-level design is solid and it ultimately delivers on being a badly-needed player-driven capstone to CV.

But pretty much all the numbers are bonkers, and they really need to move on the Religion layer for the counterplay to be appropriate on both sides. They are absurdly overpowered and completely marginalize all other Tourism game systems when they arrive.

It would be helpful if Rock Bands displayed their lifetime Tourism generated, so that everyone could clearly see that your hit band has produced 10x as much lifetime tourism as all your wonders, great works, national parks, and other bonuses combined.

acluewithout and Pietato like this.
  18. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

How much tourism are you generating per turn? If you're going CV you're probably somewhere between 1k and 1.5k per turn right? No your hit band is not generating more than the rest of your works and wonders combined. Not even close. Over the course of the game the other stuff is generating much more. It's just a big one turn punch to het you over the finish line rather than clicking next turn for 30 turns.

Even if a band is hugely successful it only produces a turn or two's amount of tourism

19. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Would rather see this where rock bands alone can't flip cities. So maybe each rock band should reduce loyalty by 50%, so the first one takes it from 100 to 50, the second would only take it from 50 to 25. Or if each one gave a -10 to loyalty for 5 turns, then it would only impact things if they were struggling anyways.

20. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Chieftain

My "lead" Rock Band is normally producing 30-50k Tourism a turn.