1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwhelming force of Mongolians. Potential defenses?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by ashendashin, Dec 15, 2016.

1. ashendashin

ashendashin King

For the first time in a fairly successful game, I've found myself dwarfed in both military power and strategic positioning(hats off to ilteroi and Gazebo. Praise be unto their names).
    One or the other is usually enough to win, but this situation seems hopeless.

20161215203141_1.jpg

I'm facing an empire twice my size in city count and military strength. My science is ahead and my mainland will remain secure regardless of the outcome, but I'm losing hope for the defense of my recently nicked Russian cities. The defense of these cities is paramount to preventing the few city states remaining on the continent from succumbing to the growing Horde. Particularly, Moscow has the Statue of Zeus, which should likely be protected at all costs.

My current thoughts are to pull back and attempt a war of attrition. Castles will be hurried and orders will hopefully be bought after a Buddhist missionary revives the faith. Tengriism will allow me to purchase units in a couple cities below. The mainland will pump tercios and knights for slow reinforcements and envoys will be sent sea-bound in search of city states. There's a Great General that could probably have had better placement before I preemptively attacked. I made defensive pacts with a couple battered civs in hopes that it would distract the Mongols, as has been the case for many previous games, but it doesn't seem to work anymore(further praise to the team).

Since the speed is standard, I'm pretty sure that would cost me most of my standing army and some cities, so alternatives would be appreciated.
    Save from a few turns before, if anyone's interested
    Bismarck_0186 AD-1260.zip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Zymos

Zymos Chieftain

ashendashin likes this.
  3. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Withdraw your troops and let them capture Russian cities, recapture them and liberate the Russians as your vassals which grants you from breathing room as the Mongolian forces will be pushed away.

ashendashin likes this.
  4. Y.O.

Y.O. Warlord

I'm not an amazing civ player (I haven't really ventured past King), but I think this may be your best option. Just from looking at that picture, I don't see a way out. If you continue an offensive, I can't imagine your current troops surviving, especially considering the amount of ranged mounted units Genghis has. Maybe sacrifice Rostov and focus your defenses on Yaroslavl and Moscow? Only problem is Moscow looks as good as gone, considering how focused Genghis's army is on the city.

5. ashendashin

ashendashin King

I did mention that GG I had. I'll load the save before I attacked and place the citadel near Moscow at some point. I should be able to get enough ships to pound units pouring through Rostov anyways.
    Thanks for the help guys:)

6. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

I think Moskow can be held if you retreat behind the city and concentrate on killing the melees. The Mongols have a lot of units in the vicinity, but most are ranged and won't be able to take the city.
    Rostow is a different beast, best bet is to bring up a few more galeasses and try to win by them (again focussing on melee units first).

I am not sure how you could ever go on the offensive, they seem to be ahead in tech and have surely taken honour, which makes combat against them even more awkward.

7. ashendashin

ashendashin King

After loading up my earlier save and having a look around, it turns out that I wasn't putting near enough production towards units, and Yekaterinburg is ripe for the taking with the use of a citadel.
    Turns out that German efficiency is enough to scare off colossal empires, because I managed to hold the war off long enough that I'm about to reach metallurgy. The war was inevitable up to turn 190, but I guess the fact that I didn't steal lands this time and the new units changed things.

The Mongols are currently focused on Portugal, opening up holes to go through and I now have many more options available. I may still end up being forced to retreat and follow the advice you all graciously provided, but my reinforcement lines should alleviate any worries.
    I feel kinda bad now, but thanks again!

8. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Basic defensive formation is a wall of Tercios fortified in a well defended owned terrain with ranged support units behind (composite bowman with healing promotions). 1 ranged every 2 melee in the line, to avoid flanking bonuses. This should give you some units with double CS while defending that heal at 30HP every turn. If a hilly forested tile isn't at hand, place a fort or in desperate need, a citadel. If all fails, retreat to city. Leave some holes in that wall, so you don't need to chase wounded enemies. You need some fresh tercios behind with some roads to make an easier replacement, and some skirmishers/lancers waiting in case the line falls somewhere.

You need to know in advance if you are going to defend or to attack. If you wanted to attack, you needed much more units, with many cannons, lots of mounted units and some melee (healing happens through pillage). If you were into defense, then your main unit should be melee with ranged support.

You can't outmaneuver Mongols!
    In your current situation, probably letting Moscow fall is the best option. It's quite difficult to defend. Yaroslav could use the lake as a buffer, where your ranged units shoot at anything that comes floating, and Rostov can be defended both from the sea and with your cannons placed at the southern coast. But you're going to loose many units in retreating. Placing your Tercio inside Moscow would buy some time for your cannons.

9. ashendashin

ashendashin King

My new force of lancers would say otherwise:king:

That is, if I could get my game to load. I'd love to be forced to go on the defensive for once, but I've been trying to get Poland's world map recently and my game simply won't load the save afterwards. It doesn't CTD at minimal settings, but it just ends up breaking my game. I could just go without, but I'm worried about the possibility that my pc isn't up to loading the fully revealed map. I've gone up to the modern era with no trouble in the past, but for some reason it just can't handle this game.

10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

You sure? Their horses move at 6 steps per turn, and their generals double as healers too. That means the cavalry can come in two waves, while the lancers hit, retreat and heal. You need to make use of Zone of Control.

11. ashendashin

ashendashin King

They're at war with Poland, the most advanced civ. Most of their army has moved east and I'm confident that the AI still makes the mistake of leaving too many ranged units up front. Their movement is extremely dangerous so I'm still uncertain of my success, but I have reached the point that an offensive may be possible soon. I'd post pics but I want to make sure I can continue this game first.