Own11- 5BC Defiant Deity Take 2

Own

Grasshoppah
Spoiler not that anyone cares... :
It's Own11 because I forgot that a year ago (before my year long civ hibernation) I had an Own8 and Own9 game, so that was really Own10. This also explains that weird save game that was India.

Anyway, it's the same settings as before, and same strategy, I think? Maybe we could even go for an early archer rush, just build 10 archers and throw them at a nearby civs capital. I've actually eliminated a Sid AI once by doing this (with tremendous battle and leader luck though). It should be much, much easier on deity. Or we could just do the regular boring farmers gambit, nothing wrong with that.

Here is the start.

Attachments

• Own11_4000BC_Start.SAV
    48.8 KB · Views: 106
Well there's an added element of challenge this time-the Hittites! The whole world will be quaking in fear of those awesome 3 man chariots. :eek: :rolleyes:

:hide:

Checking in.

I'd go for the boring farmer's gambit again, we have the lands to do so. I would not go for the GL in this one, I think that was our main mistake in our first try. We were able to trade a lot, and the landform wasn't even all that favorable. We should be able to get at least the same amount of tech trades.

Glad you decided on Deity again. Now that we're expansionist, are barbs on?

I betcha wont get a settler from the hut no matter whatcha do!

Hmm I thought they changed it for Conquests. Good point! I might play, but later maybe, if you cant round anyone else up.

We can only get a settler if we don't currently have one, and have 20% of getting one. Other possibities are tech, gold, map, or warrior, all with equal probability. See strategy article here.

I'd move worker to wheat first, then explorer probably E-E, unless the worker has revealed something interesting. Then finally settler SE, better lands that way. Pop the hut by border expansion.

@killercane: I'm sure we'll never get a full roster on this game, so you might as well join right now ;)

I'd move worker to wheat first, then explorer probably E-E, unless the worker has revealed something interesting. Then finally settler SE, better lands that way. Pop the hut by border expansion.
Agreed! Do you want to do this, Own?

@killercane: I'm sure we'll never get a full roster on this game, so you might as well join right now ;)
We might get a full roster if KC joined.:)

Pre - turn- move worker to wheat, scout E - E, settler SE

1. Found Hattusa, start on scout, it works a BG. Worker irrigates wheat. O% research CB and pop the hut,
we get WC, not bad. Now what to research. Wheel? 3 man chariots aren't that bad (ok they are). Sometimes
on Deity I"ve researched the wheel at max and gotten a monopoly. But min on writing seems best here.

2. Land around here looks pretty crappy. Just plains, mountains and no rivers.

5. Decide to balance production with growth for a turn, so I work the wheat.

6. Meet Hammurabi, trade alpha and WC + 10g for BW and CB.

7. Hattasus scout > granary. Looks like there's a choke between us and Babylon.

8. Lux > 10%.

9. We have successfully blocked Babylon with scouts. I hope nobody considers this an exploit.

10. Now I wonder if it's worth it. Probably not, and we need contacts, so I send both scouts onward.

13. Lux > 30%

18. Lux >40%.

Land is very bad. Only one could new city spot, everything else will take forever to be mildly productive. I wouldn't mind starting over...

Attachments

• Own11_3000BC_Own.SAV
    87.1 KB · Views: 71
lurker's comment: Isn't the usual strategy to build a settler before the granary so you don't fall behind quickly?

Pre - turn- move worker to the cow. Settle on the spot, start on curragh, min writing.

1. Irrigate cow.

5. Amsterdam grows, raise lux to 10%.

7. Curragh > settler.

9. Lux >20%.

10. Governer automatically makes an entertainer :mad: .

11. See blue borders, but they're off the coast, can't contact yet.

13. Lux > 30%.

14. Amsterdam settler > settler. Lux goes down. Boat turns around to try and contact blue.

15. Still no blue units around. Curragh waits patiently.

18. Lux goes down after it went up again.

19. Found Rotterdam. It has a game and a cow in its radius. This is a great start! Switch citizen to forest from BG to get settler one turn earlier, it avoids wasting 4 shields.

20. Amsterdam settler > warrior. Should have built one earlier, my bad. I was really looking for settling locations in the dark, and land contacts would be nice. Left settler for next player. Curragh is still waiting
patiently to contact blue. Amserdamian citizen is working mined BG for a turn because it takes 6 food to grow and whether we get 5+ fpt or 3 + fpt doesn't matter.

Roster-
Own- just played
Tone- up
Mumpulus- on deck
killercane- ?
Open
open

Attachments

• Own11_3000BC.SAV
    78.2 KB · Views: 117
That looks like a very promising start.

I'd send the settler SW of the wheat. We are not only agri, but also seafaring, so more commerce for us.

Fourth town probably SW of that, there's another river there (we can see its source SE-SE-S of Rotterdam). The northern river ends too soon for our fifth. But there's another body of water to the west, so maybe another river too. Otherwise, another coastal town north of Amsterdam.

I assume from your choice of writing you're thinking GL? I would definitely not go for that this time. We saw in the last game that we can easily keep up with trading and a little self-research. I'd put more in general town development this time: we have at least three towns with food boni, maybe even more. And more military this time, and go for an early war.

I looked at F10; since we knew our opponents in Own8 too, I thought this would be fine. The blue civ are probably the Mayans. Other civs are the English, Mongols, Arabs, Spanish, Indians, and Ottomans. I would just continue with the boat; that blue town is in a silly position (to grab incense), and I think it might be a while before a unit pops up there.

And lux can go down :)

I'd send the settler SW of the wheat. We are not only agri, but also seafaring, so more commerce for us

Just where I was about to make it go, but wanted confirmation first.

Fourth town probably SW of that, there's another river there (we can see its source SE-SE-S of Rotterdam). The northern river ends too soon for our fifth. But there's another body of water to the west, so maybe another river too. Otherwise, another coastal town north of Amsterdam

That's awfully far away, would be pretty corrupted. If we were commercial that might be a good spot, but OTOH there is no other good land, so put a town there and one north of Amsterdam.

I assume from your choice of writing you're thinking GL? I would definitely not go for that this time. We saw in the last game that we can easily keep up with trading and a little self-research. I'd put more in general town development this time: we have at least three towns with food boni, maybe even more. And more military this time, and go for an early war.

No, I almost always do min on writing on deity. It's unlikely we'll monopolize it, but there might be a few dumbos with base techs we can trade it to. Btw, in a recent solo deity game I won, I beelined for currency and got a monopoly on it (its always the last required tech the AI researches). It might be too late for that though. Lets definately go for early war. I don't much care between horses or swords, they both have their strengths, just go with whatever resource we have/ quickest tech we can get to.

And lux can go down

:wallbash: Derg! How could I forgot...

Depends, if you have plenty of room, then build a granary first. If there's a lux in danger of being taken, then a settler first. It definately was stupid of me to build a granary, we only need to build four cities.

I'll roll another start.
Not stupid at all. I vote for granary in Amsterdam; we need workers and the other two settlers! Probably a granary in Rotterdam too, and a temple sometime to get the bonus grass/cow for a 2 turn worker factory there too. Oh yeah, I guess Im playing.

Top Bottom