Oz (!)

Ozymandias

In Terra Fantasia
Supporter
Greetings One And All,

Some of you know that I have been (and am) quite ill. My heart goes out to every well-wisher, and I'm delighted to see how many of the "Old Gang" are still here.

I am severely energy-challenged, but, along with generally "being around," I would like to pick up on my 3-1/2-years ago abandoned mod, "Terra Fantasia" (yeah: it needs a new name.) I'm delighted that Blue Monkey had a copy of the work-in-progress .biq. I've yet to look at it: I'm working on booting up an old Windows 7 machine (I think Quintillus' editor won't run past Java 8 ...?)

- Does Civ3 even run on Windows 10 outside Steam and, if so, are any limitations imposed by Valve?

It feels so very good to be writing these words here.

Cheers & Joy To All,
Oz

Ozy, it´s great to read from you these lines and it is wonderful that Blue Monkey had a copy of the work-in-progress .biq of your scenario. :)

I´m playing Civ 3 Complete with Windows 10 for some years now without any problems. Even the direct starts of C3C with the No CD Patch, the No Raze Patch or the Antal1987 exe are working without any problems in Win 10 and the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete.

If you are looking for a version of Civ 3 Complete now, I would suggest to buy the GOG version. The GOG version is DRM free and it doesn´t have that lousy bug in the labels text, that haunts the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete. Over night the Steam Version was severly hampered by adding a new line 'Unknown' into the labels text, playing havoc to all texts of mods and scenarios when playing C3C. I had to answer many posts and pms of civers, who were really confused why - over night - they were no longer be able to play the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete without a big mess in the text of the scenarios and mods they were currently playing.

At present the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete can be bought for € 5,39 at GOG, in the sales you can buy it for about € 1,60.

Ozy, I wish you all the best

Civinator

Greetings One And All,

Some of you know that I have been (and am) quite ill. My heart goes out to every well-wisher, and I'm delighted to see how many of the "Old Gang" are still here.

I am severely energy-challenged, but, along with generally "being around," I would like to pick up on my 3-1/2-years ago abandoned mod, "Terra Fantasia" (yeah: it needs a new name.) I'm delighted that Blue Monkey had a copy of the work-in-progress .biq. I've yet to look at it: I'm working on booting up an old Windows 7 machine (I think Quintillus' editor won't run past Java 8 ...?)

- Does Civ3 even run on Windows 10 outside Steam and, if so, are any limitations imposed by Valve?

Cheers & Joy To All,
Oz

Oh, and here I almost thought a scenario involving the Wonderful World of Oz versus the cruel and industrial invaders of the Gnome King was in the making. Shucks! :p

Oh, and here I almost thought a scenario involving the Wonderful World of Oz versus the cruel and industrial invaders of the Gnome King was in the making. Shucks! :p

Oh, it's much more interesting than that. I do something novel with Culture Groups. :cool:

Ozy... Great To see you here! I wish you well and much success with your MOD "Terra Fantasia".
If you would like to discuss anything, you know where to find me.

Vuldacon, my friend, I'll wager I'm still the "Gfx Village Idiot, so I just might take you up on that :)

Ozy, it´s great to read from you these lines and it is wonderful that Blue Monkey had a copy of the work-in-progress .biq of your scenario. :)

I´m playing Civ 3 Complete with Windows 10 for some years now without any problems. Even the direct starts of C3C with the No CD Patch, the No Raze Patch or the Antal1987 exe are working without any problems in Win 10 and the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete.

If you are looking for a version of Civ 3 Complete now, I would suggest to buy the GOG version. The GOG version is DRM free and it doesn´t have that lousy bug in the labels text, that haunts the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete. Over night the Steam Version was severly hampered by adding a new line 'Unknown' into the labels text, playing havoc to all texts of mods and scenarios when playing C3C. I had to answer many posts and pms of civers, who were really confused why - over night - they were no longer be able to play the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete without a big mess in the text of the scenarios and mods they were currently playing.

At present the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete can be bought for € 5,39 at GOG, in the sales you can buy it for about € 1,60.

Ozy, I wish you all the best

Civinator

Ah, my dear Civinator! Thank you on all counts :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that (in order) I'll install Civ 3 Complete; then PTW, then the PTW patch we have here (?) then Conquests? And everything else (No Raze, etc.) still works? Quint's editor?

It's so good to chat with you again.

-Oz

Got windows 7 on my desktop plays the cd version fine now, but it was a pain the ass initially. I think something about disabling an update or some other documented step I've already forgotten. If you know what you're doing, its no more than 5 minutes to get fully functional. Me, it took a week and civanator and some of the other guys help.

Laptop windows 10 I just got the steam version Complete and I didnt have to fudge with labels ini. I guess steam finally fixed that on their own

Ah, my dear Civinator! Thank you on all counts :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that (in order) I'll install Civ 3 Complete; then PTW, then the PTW patch we have here (?) then Conquests? And everything else (No Raze, etc.) still works? Quint's editor?

It's so good to chat with you again.

-Oz

Ozy, Civ 3 Complete contains Civ 3 Vanilla, PTW and Conquests. You don´t need a special installation of C3C. PTW is something different. All files, that are needed to run C3C are included in Civ 3 Complete, but PTW can not be started directly from Civ 3 Complete, as here the game demands a working CD in the CD player and there doesn´t exist a No-CD Patch for PTW. So to play 'only' PTW, you need a working additional CD in a CD player, but who is playing PTW today, if he can play C3C?

The GOG version of Civ 3 Complete suggests to install it in a folder for GOG games, what is no problem for me, but if you don´t like it, the folder for the installation can be changed. After the installation Civ 3 Vanilla, PTW and C3C are looking as in the screenshot below. GOG installs a launcher to start the C3C version of Civ 3 Complete, but all three exes can also be be started directly (with the special problem of the PTW exe I have tried to describe above) in the Vanilla or the expansion folders of Civ 3 and other exes can be added to those folders.

The No-CD, No Raze Patch and Antal1987 exe are working with Win 10 without any problems for me. The Quintillus editor also has no problems to work with Win 10 and Civ 3 Complete, but here another problem arises, as that editor doesn´t work with the newest version of Java. So if you have an older version of Java, that is needed to run the Quintillus editor, don´t upgrade that old version of Java. Some additional old help-programs have problems to run with Win 10, mostly cause of the 32/64 bit problem.

I have on my pc the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete, a special version of Civ 3 Complete coming with the 'Sid Meier´s Chronicles Bundle' and a German version of C3C. All can be operated under Win 10, 64 Bit,without any problems.

Edit: The GOG version doesn´t have the problem in the installation, that Bungus described, resulting from Microsoft disabling the support of SecuRom long ago. It uses the last versions of Civ 3 and its expansions, that came without the copy protection of SecuRom.

Attachments

• Civ 3 Complete GOG.jpg
    Civ 3 Complete GOG.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Hey Oz, good to see you.

Windows 10 Steam edition of Civ 3 was playable right off the bat. I did have to mess with some resolution settings to get the game to look right on my monitor, though.

The GoG version also works great. However, with both editions I did have problems with sound during diplomacy. There is an easy fix for that if you run across it, https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/no-sound-during-diplomacy.615825/#post-14898115

Oz! I'm truly delighted to see you writing here again! The place has not been the same without you, without the kind encouragement you've always extended to each and everyone here, without your steadfast support of the game, the creators and their creations here. You, Sir, are a gentleman in the very best sense of the word.
Wishing you all the best,
:viking:

Hey, Ozy... I always wanted to be a "Gentleman and a Scholar" as you most certainly are but I settle to be content with being basically an Unknown Graphics Artist that has fallen into making many Zombie Units for a Game.
... but at least my Wife still Loves me :crazyeye:

Seriously, I have missed You Very Much and I am Very Happy to see you posting again!

I realize it must be tougher than most people could know what you are going through but do your best to separate the Worlds and IF possible, Stay with us here.
As Wolfhart said, "The place has not been the same without you".

Take Care My Friend, know you have been, where, are and will continue to be respected, liked and need here.

OZ! Alright, my post got deleted so
a) It's a good thing I've never deleted Windows XP after all even if I've switched modding, gaming, working, writing, etc. to Linux; thus I can still launch N and Civ3 natively.
b) Wanna bounce ideas? I have installed several erudition add-ons onto my brain. Steady employment and other mods remain incompatible at the time of writing this post.
c) I'm happy to see that you're in condition to post again.

Maybe not in that order.

Greetings One And All,

Cheers & Joy To All,
Oz

I still have my copy of Civ3 and Conquests, but haven't played them in years. Maybe I'll dust them off and have a look at what's been cooked up here.

Oh My Comrades, I am so very touched and warmed!

I'll start a separate thread for "The Forgotten World" (new and - I hope - better name.) And I remain Most Graphically Challenged, so I'll probably take up some offers of help.

It feels very strange to go through old threads and see how much I've forgotten, but very good to constantly find myself clicking on names to see who's still active.

It is late; I am tired; but I realize that The Forgotten World has percolating somewhere in the back of my head for a very long time ... So I think I'll at least start thread in about 30 seconds - I'm eager to bounce my core design around for your feedback. I don't think anything like it has been done before :D

Top Bottom