1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ozone layer faces record loss over Arctic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KMRblue1027, Apr 5, 2011.

1. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

From AP (Via Yahoo)

After this evidence will people finally stop denying the destruction of the planet?

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

But Global Warming is just a theory and theories can be wrong, like evolution. Plus, it has been a very cold winter. How can it be getting warmer? Darn eco-hippies.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

God is removing some protection because of his hatred of some group or other.

4. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Yes, I deny it. That piece was a pathetic collection of half-truths stitched together to make some more propaganda about "global warming". The planet is still fine and beyond humanity's power to destroy. We're not even close to destroying the human race (edit: nuclear power apart), much less "the planet".

Ozone is not "lost" during winter, it's not some element which is leaving Earth's atmosphere. It's formed and destroyed depending on local conditions, subject to seasonal variations. The seasonal shift is perfectly natural. The text implicitly admits as much in "Arctic ozone conditions vary more than the seasonal ozone hole that forms high in the stratosphere near the South Pole each winter and spring", then it goes one to repeatedly use the words "loss" and "depletion" in order to misguide uninformed readers.
    The "permanent" average lowering of ozone concentrations - a shift in the chemical equilibrium of oxygen compounds in the atmosphere - was (as far as we have modeled it) due to chemicals which have been banned. And the extent of this reduction is still disputed. I wouldn't be surprised it years from now (when the people involved have retired...) it turned out that the whole thing had been a much exaggerated scare. We had very few years of data about ozone concentrations in the atmosphere to compare with, but that small sample was assumed to be the "normal" and desirable condition for the models.

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I don't think anyone still challenges the ozone layer destruction.

6. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

7. Eat_Up_Martha

Eat_Up_Martha Prince

Not really a big deal. The article itself points out that the ozone is still on its way to recovery and that this wasn't exactly unexpected.

8. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Its true, God is a Catholic.

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

But in the context of human history, naysaying of the link between CFCs and ozone layer destruction was well denounced. Your article is about the state of the ozone layer, not about the cause of destruction.

This is what I meant:

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-ozone.htm

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Well, ozone is going to cycle. Efforts to mitigate its loss can be enacted, and then we can expect some ozone recovery.

It's biodiversity that I worry about. Extinctions are tough to undo.

11. blac

blac Warlord

It may be a theory but so is every other aspect of science. Nothing is ever 100% sure. Global warming is around 95% sure, which is way higher then a lot of theories.

Also even if global warming ever happens, we still have to prepare to live in a post-carbon economy is about 40-50. Oil is being more pricey because there is less of it. Why not invest in renewable energy sources now so when we do run out of oil we will be ready for it. China is investing $190 billion in RE sources, and they will be so far ahead of everyone in the west because of it unless we start investing soon...

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

The internet, your computer and this website are all products based on scientific theories.

So yeah.

13. blac

blac Warlord

Alright well this is what I've been thought by scientists at university. Science isn't 100% sure due to things like quantum mechanics, and all sorts of weird things we don't really understand. This is what I've been thought in university and it was in my textbook so I'm pretty sure its true

14. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Nope. Your own article contained the reason why. I'm sure you did read the following part, you just glossed over it because it's.....here comes the Al Gore snipe.....an inconvenient truth:

Sez it right there. Cold temperatures destroy ozone. Which is also a possible reason to worry about efforts to control global warming: a cooler planet will probably have a larger ozone hole.

On the side, there's really two reasons for the ozone hole. Here's the second one: ozone is diamagnetic. It's repelled by magnetic fields--and Earth's magnetic field is strongest at the poles. So naturally the poles are where the holes are going to be.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Even if the changes in the ozone layer are mostly caused by natural phenomena scientists should continue to study this stuff. We need an ozone layer and whatever is making it deplete to significant enough levels should be a cause for alarm - whether we influence it or not.

The article says "unprecedented" levels, so that seems important enough to me. Who cares if it's not because of our pollution?

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

:goodjob: Inn & BC

17. BasketCase

And a :goodjob: for warpus. Always study stuff. Always learn stuff.

And maybe log the hell off CFC now and then and do something productive. Hell, tonight I finally got that "Psionic Death" achievement in StarCraft 2! :clap:

18. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

so, does this mean ozone levels drop during ice ages and cold snaps?

19. BasketCase

Probably. High humidity also destroys ozone. Further, ozone is more unstable at higher concentrations (which is to say, even more unstable than it already is!) meaning that closing the ozone hole merely causes the gas to decay faster.

The stuff is extremely flighty.

20. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

I would like it if someone would post an "Ask a Republican" thread. Question one: what is the purpose of "inventing" global warming?