1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

P-51 Mustang - animated (kinda), and with sounds

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Rabbit, White, Feb 27, 2006.

1. I went back and completely remade this unit. In the process I halved the number of polygons (700, down from 1400+), added gloss, created three different skins and put it together in such a way that it now has a rotating propeller, which doesn't wobble (now the entire unit does a little up-and-down hover in the air kinda thing).

Here are couple of more shots - a max render (just 'cause I though it looked nice), and an in-game shot.

The unit still uses fighter animations, so point to fighter.kfm in the art defines, and it still doesn't support team color, I just don't have time to do it and it doesn't seem to be important to most people. In any case it doesn't have an _fx file so make sure both NIF and SHADERNIF tags point to the same file.

Finally, as you see from the shot I provided three skins - regular, camo and parade :). Anyway, all three sit in their own folders so it's easy to give the unit whatever skin you wish - just copy paste from the skin's folder into the unit's folder. Also, each skin has a mipmap and a non-mipmap version (the default one is the mipmap one). The difference is that the mipmap version offers slight boost in performance on slower machines but it blurs out the textures. On the other hand the non-mip version keeps the texture sharp but it also causes flickering of the texture when viewed from distance at certain angles. Basically, just try both ways and decide which one's the best for you.

Enjoy :)

Model was downloaded from 3D Cafe, I just fixed the geometry and textured it.

Attached Files:

2. Drogear

Drogear Prince

really nice! Is this the second "real" new units? Plz keep em comming! :)

3. Broken Legion

Broken Legion Chieftain

Impressive

4. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Very Nice! Looks better than the standard fighter. It's nice to have the ability to make units that look good now.

-Smitty

5. spincrus

spincrus sol invictus

*gives Rabbit, White a standing ovation*

6. RogerBacon

RogerBacon King

Yes, very nice.

Now that we have new units coming out there is hope i will see my samurai bowman and mounted samurai one day.

Roger Bacon

7. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

8. It does :) although it's wobbly and it doesn't look as good as it does on the fighter model. I basically "hacked" it up using a combination of the P-51's and the fighter's propellers. Having said that, in game, all these little things are hardly noticable. :D

9. Half Fast

Half Fast fat slob in a bar

Great work.
    If you don't mind me saying so, I think you should take some of the stripes off the canopy 'cause they make it look more like a P-39's canopy. Great unit though.

10. Completely remade the unit, details in the first post.

11. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

Very beuatiful

12. dark_pretender

dark_pretender Warlord

In fact the canopy of the mustang p51d has no stripes... its just the plexiglass bubble... ur model is great I really mean it... the only details I found is the striped canopy and the paint scheme in fact I guess ur most accurate skin is the second (except for the two badges in the wings, just one as ur first scheme)... Im used to the p51d because I used to play CFS series and FS 2002 plus the fact is my favorite wwII airplane together with the F4U Corsair ur model looks more than the first mustangs with the stripped canopy. anyway very good work. the in game screenshot looks awesome the reflections are cool :goodjob:

Dont know where do u get the sounds ... in fact I dont have civ IV in this computer so I cant hear them but I got a pack of sounds recorded from a real mustang that I used when playing cfs series so If u are interested I can send u the pack of sounds