Resource icon

p0kiehl's Random Research 2019-02-15

pokiehl

Deity
pokiehl submitted a new resource:

p0kiehl's Random Research - Totally randomizes the Tech and Civic trees!

Tired of the going for every Tech or Civic in the exact same order every game? This mod is for you! p0kiehl's Random Research mod completely randomizes the entire Tech and Civic (keeping the appropriate eras) every time you start a new game!

Effects:
  • Will never lead to impossible or game-breaking situations - this mod is totally safe!

• All Techs and Civics are randomized within their appropriate eras! Don't worry - you won't be researching Robots in the Classical Era....

Read more about this resource...

Tried a game with this, was quite fun - a great shake up from the normal game.
I did encounter a small bug, however; Pottery was underneath another tech (Writing).
Spoiler :
20190216095429_1.jpg
20190216095442_1.jpg

Edit - What's going on? This has been completely removed from the workshop and I can't continue my game since steam apparently removed it from my mods library.. Can you upload it here?

Last edited:
The mod was more buggy than I realized and I was unable to fix the bugs. If you want to continue your game, I've attached the file as a .zip to this post.

Can you tell me how you were able to research Pottery if it was underneath Writing? That was the biggest bug.

The mod was more buggy than I realized and I was unable to fix the bugs. If you want to continue your game, I've attached the file as a .zip to this post.

Can you tell me how you were able to research Pottery if it was underneath Writing? That was the biggest bug.

I see, thanks very much for uploading it.:) I do want to finish that game. I did notice that connections were often bugged also.

Too bad, the mod's a great idea - reminds me a little of smac.

I was able to research pottery when I selected a tech that had it as a prerequisite.

This mod is a great idea, something that to me should have been in the base game.

I also think you maybe could chosen pottery in the drop down list, no?

I love the idea of this mod. Should we hold off downloading it until bugs are fixed?

This mod is a great idea, something that to me should have been in the base game.

I also think you maybe could chosen pottery in the drop down list, no?

I want to say no, but I can't speak with complete certainty. I rarely choose techs like that.

@Grotius - I got the impression above that the author wasn't able to solve the bugs and therefore will not be continuing to support it. I could be wrong though. The bugs were really quite minimal (if you have a healthy tolerance for such things), just be prepared to not see connections between techs - I recommend clicking around on unrevealed techs often to figure out their prerequisites.

Yes, please do not download.

I am actually trying to tackle this again in a different way to solve the bugs. Give me a few days and I will endeavor to reupload an improved version.

Glad to hear you're giving it another go! This mod is just what I'm looking for. Thanks for your work on it.

Yes, please do not download.

I am actually trying to tackle this again in a different way to solve the bugs. Give me a few days and I will endeavor to reupload an improved version.
I thought you hated code :)

Just yell if you need some help, this mod idea is way too awesome to let it fade away.

This mod was awesome, i still hope to see it again in the workshop... Is there a way to download the buggy version until you manage to correct them?

Top Bottom