1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

p120/usb1.1 compatability

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Nerd359, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Nerd359

Nerd359 Chieftain

I was wondering if a p120 running win98se could support a pci (i have a free slot) usb card (1.1) and if so, could i run an external cdrw off of it? i dont want to be stuck with a load of useless hardware.

2. BlueMonday

BlueMonday Can I Kick It?

I don't see any reason it shouldn't, although I think your CPU may be a little underpowered for high-speed burning. I would, however, always recomend that you go with an internal CDRW. When you have an external one connected to a USB connected with PCI it multiplies the number of things that can go wrong, and you'll likely end up with a plenty of coasters. An internal CDRW will also save you some cash, and that's always a good thing.

Edit: Also get some decent burning software. A few vendors package their burners with good software (like Lite-On), but for the most part you'll end up with a real pile of rubbish like Adaptec or Roxio Easy CD creator. If you want to do some serious burning, get a good one like Nero Burning ROM, CloneCD, Fireburner, or CDRwin.

My pick: Nero Burning ROM. I use it for everything but CCD.