P3-01 - Our god is better than their god!

As I said before, we could go Priesthood & chop the Oracle for HBR. Horse archers can likely take down Hannibal if we hit him before construction.

I think HA's are our best bet since we're not guaranteed iron and we do not necessarily need IW. Plus, do not forget that this is normal speed so the added speed of mounted units WILL help.

As I said before, we could go Priesthood & chop the Oracle for HBR. Horse archers can likely take down Hannibal if we hit him before construction.

I think HA's are our best bet since we're not guaranteed iron and we do not necessarily need IW. Plus, do not forget that this is normal speed so the added speed of mounted units WILL help.

Isn't that a little too risky? We are not indrustious and don't have marbe, so if we would lose the race, it would cost a huge amound of hammers (as we get double effect for stone based wonders). And horse archers don't do too well against spears, so if Hannibal has access to copper... I might need a little more convincing, so I'll wait for more comments ;)

Btw. I can play my round tomorrow.

Ok, looks good. I'm planning to switch reseatch to Agriculture and work the lake so we can time it to be completed once Barcelona pops borders. It really needs that wheat to be able to work the gold.

We need to build worker next, one is just not enough for three cities (which we would have if we would build settler next). I would start settler right after the worker and claim that sheep, deer, silver spot up north. That blocks Hannibal out of our land and the added commerce + happiness from silver mine doesn't hurt at all. Too bad about all the tundra, oh well...

Then we can claim that pigs, corn gold spot. We don't have the ability to build cottages yet, so two gold mines + silver mine would be the backbone of our research.

Then maybe build one extra worker and happily start to chop all those forests around our capital for pyramids. We have stone and a good chance to still get it.

How does that sound?
I think the wheat is already within our borders thanks to Madrid's last border pop... But agree on Agri. Maybe should have taken that immediately, but what's done is done.

Also agree on silver, deer, sheep spot. With those tiles it will be at least a half decent city.

On Paulus' suggestion of taking down Hannibal with an Oracle-HBR sling, well, I hardly ever do early rushes and less so with horse archers, so I wouldn't mind seeing that in practice! I have little clue about the feasibility though.

Isn't that a little too risky? We are not indrustious and don't have marbe, so if we would lose the race, it would cost a huge amound of hammers (as we get double effect for stone based wonders). And horse archers don't do too well against spears, so if Hannibal has access to copper... I might need a little more convincing, so I'll wait for more comments ;)

Btw. I can play my round tomorrow.

Last time I pulled off a HA-rush was in an immortal game with Mansa against Wang Kon (so if anything, we'll have an easier time here ;) ) and the few spears that he had built were not influential to the end-outcome of my rush.

The thing is: Promote your HA's properly. HA's get 2 promo's with stable+rax, so that means either flanking I+II for 'collateral' damage against the spears, or combat I+shock to take them down. HA perform reasonably well against archers too because they're immune to first strikes.

And last of all... the AI just doesn't build enough spears. I met about 2 spears before I had succeeded in knocking out his copper. That's another important aspect - the AI doesn't build them that much unless a counter is really needed, so if you succeed in taking down his metals he's a sitting duck.

If we consider your alternative of waiting for catapults: Don't forget that Hannibal will probably be outteching us, which means facing elephants. :sad:

Let me just add that bronze is nowhere visible on what we can see of the map, so maybe Hannibal doesn't have it either. There is some fog in his territory though. Maybe OB with him and check that out if the chance presents itself.

Ok, I'm getting convinced ;) So reseach should probably go Agriculture -> Priesthood? Shouldn't we still get at least one city settled soon? If so, which one?

Edit: Or why don't we just reseach HBR manually after Agriculture and in the meanwhile settle gold and silver spots? We could then use those forests for horse archers instead of the oracle.

I only foresee a problem with getting the Oracle if we do Agriculture before Priesthood. Let me know what you think about that...

I only foresee a problem with getting the Oracle if we do Agriculture before Priesthood. Let me know what you think about that...

You and Loki sound quite convinced and convincing about the HA rush, so then I am all for it to see it executed in practice :). If that means priesthood first, then so be it. Agri after that and masonry can wait, since we won't be thinking of pyramids any time soon anymore if we are to spam stable and a whole bunch of HAs. How many will we need more or less?
I take it that while researching Priest we build a worker in Madrid. I guess there won't be time for a settler before priest comes in and we want to start chopbuild the Oracle (another worker maybe yes). Is that indeed the plan, letting Carthage be the third spanish city instead of Sevilla :devil:?

You and Loki sound quite convinced and convincing about the HA rush, so then I am all for it to see it executed in practice :). If that means priesthood first, then so be it. Agri after that and masonry can wait, since we won't be thinking of pyramids any time soon anymore if we are to spam stable and a whole bunch of HAs. How many will we need more or less?
I take it that while researching Priest we build a worker in Madrid. I guess there won't be time for a settler before priest comes in and we want to start chopbuild the Oracle (another worker maybe yes). Is that indeed the plan, letting Carthage be the third spanish city instead of Sevilla :devil:?

Sounds good.

I am wondering as well how a HA rush would work.

It was a short round for me as the natural stopping point came quite early.

Started by changing research to Priesthood, coming in 8 turns. Capital started to build worker as per our plan (4 turns). Once the worker was finished, I continued with another one as it only took 3 turns. We also got our gold mine online so I was able to time Priesthood to be completed once the worker was finished. Then, it was time to chop like mad :p

In the meanwhile, there was some interesting events happening on the background. GW was bidl, but more importantly christianity spread to Hannibal's city of Utica and he converted as expected. The bigger news are that our scandic friend decided to declare war against Portugal :D. Couple of turns later he asked us to jump in, but I had to decline for now.

Now why am I showing the bearded fellow, as we all know how he looks like? You might quess from the background... :rolleyes:

We just finished researching Agriculture and I selected Pottery as a place holder.

You got me staring at a wooden structure and a forested hill for a while here... Then it dawned upon me :)

First phase of the plan seems to work out!

EDIT: I just see that for horse archers, not quite unlogically, we need horse and archery. So better to take Archery next I guess.

Nice turnset. Hoepfully he is still busy with Portugal by the time we roll over his lands with our ponnies! :lol:

Indeed. After we get HBR, first stables then HA's.

With the Oracle up, we'll get extra prophet points which will not only speed up our first prophet (who will of course be building the Church of the Nativity in Madrid within the next turnset) but it will also mean that we are likely to get a second prophet which we'll probably bulb Theology with.

Grr probably can't play tonight... will definitely be able to play friday if I don't get it in, and even if I play, idk if I can get a report up tonight

Edit: as I type this I am able to play... irony ftw

Top Bottom