P666-04 : Yet Another Trash Game

Cam_H

Deity

This is not a traditional succession game in that the full roster will play the same game and at intervals alternate between the least successful attempt and the most successful attempt as determined by a vote.

All players on the roster will be giving it their legitimate best shot. End of round discussions will ideally provide some educational value.

The idea of fixing a succession game where the situation was regularly 'less than great' was Paul666's idea, and was floated in the Strategies and Tips forum. This format stemmed from that initial proposal. Two successful 'trash games' have already been played (vanilla version) that led to; a Bismark-led Domination win on Prince, and a Space Race victory for Montezuma on Monarch.

The Settings

Leader: Wang Kong (Korea)
Landmass Type: Pangaea
Sea Level: Low
Climate: Temperate
Size: Standard
Barbarians: Normal
Difficulty: Prince
Speed: Normal
Victory: All types enabled (incl. Domination) however human player confined to Conquest
Version: 2.08 Warlords

The Start

The following Asian leaders are selected as the A.I. rivals;
  • Tokugawa (Japan) : Aggressive and Protective
  • Asoka (India) : Organized and Spiritual
  • Qin Shi Huang (China {Viking colours}) : Industrious and Protective
  • Mao Zedong (China) : Expansive and Protective
  • Kublai Khan (Mongolia {Celtia colours}) : Aggressive and Creative
  • Genghis Khan (Mongolia) : Aggressive and Imperialistic
Running two leaders from the same tribe is possible with Warlords, although players should note that there may be occasions where there might be some confusion (e.g. the religious faiths screen where the nation rather than the leader is identified, or some tiles may indicate "80% Chinese" regarding cultural influence) ... but 'heck' - it's a theme.

The Variant

Players play in rounds to agreed check points. Games are compared and discussed. The opening game (below) is played for 40 turns. The agreed least successful (non-loss) game is then played by all for the next round. Games are compared, then the most successful game is played. The game chosen alternates between least and most successful per round. Voting is done by secret ballot.

New Rule: A player can not be selected for the 'most successful' round twice in a row, or can a player be selected for the 'least successful' round twice in a row. This means that in each round from Round Three there will be a player with a 'dead rubber' due to 'immunity'.

The Koreans can only win by Conquest victory.

The Players

Roster:
  • Cabert
  • Cabledawg*
  • Cam_H
  • Endzz**
  • Fbelintani
  • Futurehermit
  • Mice*
  • Öjevind Lång***
  • Pigswill
  • The Chiller***
  • vra379971
* Mice has indicated that he will be unavailable for several weeks from mid-January, so Cabledawg's been added to the roster.
** Endzz's computer's gone berserk and is on 'skip' until otherwise advised.
*** Öjevind Lång joined after Round 2 as The Chiller has gone missing.

The Play

Games to be posted at latest by early Saturday morning 'American time'. Typically there will be five days to play and two days to compare games and vote. Players are asked to save their posted games with their 'handle' / name so the player's game is identifiable from others'.

Round duration to be determined by agreement or despotic direction depending upon the mood ... about 40 turns per round.

No reloads. No WorldBuilder.

Rounds

Round 1: Cabert's game was selected as the least successful for Round 1 despite Masonry picked up and Marble spotted to the east. No second city or Settler, no Copper spotted, and a light Military however puts some challenges before the group.

Round 2: The games were played to 875BC where Cam's game was considered the most successful submission. Despite a weak military position, The Oracle's about to be built, and our second city has a nice mix of production, food and commerce.

Round 3: The roster played to 125AD, where voting for the least successful game went to Öjevind Lång's game characterised by peaceful development, and Wine! No Hwachas however caused others on the roster a few concerns.

Round 4: The roster played to 1000AD, where Fbelintani's game was selected to be the most successful game - with the war effort well and truly underway and Japan floundering.

Round 5: 1400AD was the stop-date, and Cabledawg's submission was selected as the least successful. The submission was technologically advanced, lots of Wonders were built in Seoul, but passive with Korea teetering on the brink of being invaded.

Round 6: 1650AD was the deadline where futurehermit's game was deemed the most successful submission. Boasting a strong PowerChart position the roster was confident that the game would soon be won!

Round 7: Everyone's to play to 1820AD - save - and then play on. Any player having difficulties to volunteer their game for assistance and possible finishing off.

Sounds great Cam. conquest:eek:

Any noble players out there, sign up ! It's a great way to learn.

Vra,

Welcome aboard! I'm not sure at what difficulty you normally play, but I know that the teams have enjoyed this series a lot and get a lot from the discussion.

Mice,

'Conquest' ... well at least the video is better than 'Diplomatic' or 'Time'!

b.t.w. - your 'Many Leaders' game looks great!

I'm in. Maybe let our noble princes state preference for level.

Could retitle the thread 'Never start a landwar in Asia'.

Russia (despite Peter the Great's move to westernisation) and Persia are also Asian powers.

I usually play at noble and have won few times, but haven't even tried prince yet..
I'm not good civ player, but have lurked alot of succession games for months now.
I'll give this a try if you want to have me though :cool:

ps. I'll be away from sunday to wednesday but after that alot of free time.

Woah!

OK ... that will do it for the sign-ups!

The Chiller and Endzz - you're in! :)

Tycoonist - sorry to be unable to include you this time.

Pigswill - I like the title idea! I was going to go with Cyrus and Saladin, but then I found that I could squeeze in Kublai and Mao. I think it's a stronger theme, but as before, could be a teeny bit confusing in some instances.

I'll roll something up real soon - I think we'll stick with Prince in light of the recent sign-ins.

Noble newbie cheking-in! :thumbsup:

Well, I think it will be better to stick with prince. These SG's are consuming my time and I cannot play offline games anymore. Well, at least I couldn't since I began.
About the optionals:
Climate: the standard one?
Domination: disabled? Does it become easier not to manage domination limits?
What about aggresive AI? We will be warring anyway...

OK ... we're off (see opening post).

I left Domination in the mix (so if all goes to plan we'll need to avoid tripping Domination).

Other settings were left 'normal' other than low sea level.

I went with Prince given that we have a few Noble players.

The start's given us lots of :food: and lots of :health: - coastal, hills, forest, and a river in sight!

Spoiler :
Settled on location. Despite mysticism opening up way for possible religions I noticed that we didn't have any decent commerce so I forgot religious route, went fishing/BW/agric/wheel/AH. Whipped a couple of workboats, part-whipped a worker, part chopped a settler (completed 2400bc) and found a nice copper/sheep/crab site for her to settle.

Merry Christmas Everyone :D :D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/90414/P666-04_BC-2400.CivWarlordsSave

I've played my round also, but will hold off commentary for a little bit.

I guess if everyone is quick about it, we can move on to Round Two - but nobody's under pressure to submit early if it isn't possible.

I'll echo Pigswill's Christmas wishes. :xmascheers:

Alright. Here's my shot at this...

Spoiler :

Turn 1 - 4000 BC

Seoul is Founded!

Turn 7 - 3760 BC

Hunting!

Turn 13 - 3520 BC

Fishing!

Turn 17 - 3320 BC

We found Tokugawa...(or actually, he found us)

Turn 18 - 3240 BC

Qin found us!

Turn 26 - 2880 BC

Loins!

Turn 32 - 2640 BC

We discovered the wheel

Turn 34 - 2560 BC

There's China...

Turn 40 - 2400 BC

Archery! w00t!

I don't think we are doing too bad...

Oh, ****...

Thanks for reading!

The Chiller,

Could you edit your post so it's in spoiler tags until everyone else has submitted their games? Thanks.

Good work with the screenies though! Customised Korean flag also!

Top Bottom