1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pacific Rim Challenge

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by MechatronicJazz, Sep 18, 2015.

1. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

I've been experimenting with Japan recently and I think it would be really cool to build an empire that controls the entire pacific. I have yet to accomplish this, but I thought I'd put the challenge out there to see if anyone else can/already has. I'm working on detailed criteria so if people are interested I'll post challenge tiers and maybe maps outlining the regions to control.

Anyone want to try? :crazyeye:

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Slightly disappointed that this thread isn't about building huge robots that punch alien monsters.

3. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

Well if you ever add a future era to the mod, I suppose that also becomes a possibility. lol

4. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Nobody but you is to blame for the lack of Giant Death Robots in this mod.

5. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Oh, I did it pre-DoC. It was fun. That was when Yanqui conquerors did not arrive to fight for San Francisco.

6. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Why would this be hard? There is hardly any competition.

7. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

Not terribly hard in Asia and Oceania, but in the Americas you compete with America, Mexico, Columbia, Peru, possibly Argentina, and any colonial civs that still have cities in the area. It's also a lot of cities to have with a fairly small core. Maybe it's not actually hard, I don't know.

8. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

-Be first to Optics, conquer/vassalize Aztec & Inca.
    -Beeline Astro and rapidly outpace the lackadaisical AI in colonizing.

Really, the only potentially difficult part would be the war against China. Civs like America, Argentina, Mexico, and Peru should never enter the equation; you could easily finish by 1650 AD, at the latest.

9. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

Good point. I should have clarified this, but I was thinking of having such an empire into the modern era. 1950 at least. Which still makes your strategy valid, but you would need to deal with the later spawns. Though with a large empire your tech rate would be pretty good so that may not be difficult either. In any case, I was just curious if anyone had done it and what strategies they used. It seems like there's never a lack of creative way to accomplish things in DoC. Thanks for sharing!

10. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

Well I had achieved this in my attempted domination game as Japan in the vanilla RFC and I had actually taken over all the Pacific. Before my last Japan game crashed I had all of China as vassal, Manchuria and Korea through direct control, and colonized Hawaii and the American West coast.

its funny that Japan gets the US west coast as "historical" because of immigration to the west coast cities but not Hawaii where the largest concentration of Japanese migrants are :p .

11. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

A more challenging goal I'd say is to conquer and control the Indian ocean rim. Many more tough competitors there and then there's stability.

12. cudfather

cudfather Prince

I think I may try doing this Indian Rim thing :)

13. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

There was actually a thread for this, but it was with Vanilla RFC I think :p .

14. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

Another challenge could be the Atlantic challenge. I haven't tried that with anyone yet, but I would try this with Britain.

15. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Why don't we just cut to the chase and make the coastal challenge? Control every coastal city in the world and make sure every single coastal tile is covered by your culture.

16. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

Sounds like a job for Youtien XD

17. 2015

2015 Chieftain

That's true, in DoC you have to fight: Netherlands (South Africa), Portugal (East Africa), Ethiopia, Arabia/Ottomans, maybe Iran, India/Tamil/Mughal/Britain (Indian subcontinent), Khmer/Thailand, Indonesia, Britain again for Australia and maybe even South Africa. What a headache :crazyeye:

Pacific Rim is like a settler building challenge. Your only (strong) opponent is Japan and if you're gonna do this challenge Japan is the best civ to do it with :p

18. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

The Atlantic is just as bad, I may say worse on count of it being bigger ( I am referring to the Atlantic as in South and North Atlantic. It is not too difficult to dominate one or the other but both at once is a challenge.)