1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pacifism: beating the snowballing AI(s)

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by Gunther Spell, May 30, 2016.

1. Gunther Spell

Gunther Spell Chieftain

Hey,

I am a very peaceful CiV player and I usually don't declare war simply because I suck at it and I don't enjoy it. Most of the time, I don't have more than 2 or 3 military units per city and I rarely settle more than 4 cities. Actually, in non patched CiV, I played 90% of my games in OCC, but this is no longer viable (or way harder) in Vox Populi due to the pop requirement for national wonders (not a complaint though).

Playing on King difficulty, this strategy is pretty ok. Althoug, I have been confronted with a problem that basically ruins my games: an AI seems to be able to snowball and build about 90% of the wonders (it appears great library and oracle help a lot). In my last game, Korea got all the wonders, was about to win a cultural victory (approximately 50 turns away) and was almost one era ahead of the second civ. However, I am not here to complain: I have a few questions which could help me understand and beat those snowballing AIs.

1: Have you ever been confronted to the scenario I described? Why do you think it happened?

2: Interestingly, it seems that the snowballing AI is usually my direct neighbour. Could it be that the AI thinks "oh, his army is not that strong, let's build wonders, what could possibly go wrong?". Moreover, Sejong's army was pretty weak my last game (weaker than mine which was 4-5 knights, 3 trebuchets and one pikeman). Does the AI evaluate its neighbour's armies to adjust its own?

3: What would you suggest to do to beat the snowballing AI without the use of force? Last game, I tried to sanction Korea (the anti-tourism proposal -can't remember the name- was not available yet) but failed (even though I had like 50% of all the delegates). The other civs were actually friends of Korea, that's why! Which leads me to my 4th and last question...

4: Do you think the other AIs should be less friendly with civs that are very close to winning and grab all the wonders? Maybe it's already the case, I'm not sure. I remember a game where I was OCC venice and got a lot of wonders. Alexander was mad at me because he knew I was on my way to win.

Finally, if you have any general advice or experience (good or bad) when playing "pacifism", feel free to share! Thanks.

TL;DR: How do you beat the lead AI when you don't want to go to war? (King difficulty)

2. pandasnail

pandasnail Prince

Unfortch I literally can't give you a single bit of advice on how to play peacefully, but I am curious about something else. Were you playing the formalized OCC mode? Because when I did I had no problems building NWs. Not sure if they've been changed recently or I just got lucky.

3. Gunther Spell

Gunther Spell Chieftain

Actually, if I remember correctly, when you check "One-city challenge" in the game options, the pop requirement should be scaled. That was at least the case with the march version. However, I noticed that AI players were also affected by the option (couldn't settle more than 1 city) so I decided not to check the option any more.

With the last beta version, pop requirement should be scaled with your number of cities but I don't know the exact formula as I couldn't build an early national college with OCC venice even though I was focusing on growth with both Artemis temple and Hanging gardens.

4. pandasnail

pandasnail Prince

Gazebo fixed this, you can play formal OCC now, and yeah, the pop numbers are smaller, I just can't remember how much smaller.

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Your problem with Sejong is that he is technologically advanced and this attracts traders. Civs that trade with each other tend to be friends. With luck, he will have an aggressive neighbour you can lure to war. But it seems to me that this aggressive neighbour happened to be you.
    I'm not good a politics, but I'd say your best bet is to make him look like the bad guy. Spy on him, denouce him, insult him, don't trade with him and prepare defenses.

6. Sendaf

Sendaf Chieftain

Sometimes you really just have to suck it up and go to war. Its a lot easier to stop a snowball at the top of the hill then it is at the bottom of the hill. If you have a neighbor that looks like they are gaining crazy momentum (especially a powerful civ like Sejong) then build up a strong fighting force and steal their wonders.

Since you controlled the WC you could start an International project that you aren't really interested in (for me its treasure fleet) You know that your greedy neighbor will go all in for that project. At the same time launch your assault, your target will probably be slower to respond because they value the international project highly.

I also have a list of "kill on sight" civs. They can just get way to powerful if left unchecked into the late game. Brazil, Korea, Babylon, Maya, etc. Target these type of civs for early wars and your late games will get much easier.