Pacifism.... meh

KamikazeFTW

Chieftain
I finally got around to playing the Elohim and realise with horror.... they're a bunch of wusses ;)
Pacifism -1 attack outside of borders? I guess this wouldn't be a (massive) problem if you didn't have centaur hordes marching on your cities... and can't effectively fight outside your borders
So my question is... How do you play as the Elohim and what do you if you're next to the Clan of Embers, and other warmongering countries?

I finally got around to playing the Elohim and realise with horror.... they're a bunch of wusses ;)
Pacifism -1 attack outside of borders? I guess this wouldn't be a (massive) problem if you didn't have centaur hordes marching on your cities... and can't effectively fight outside your borders
So my question is... How do you play as the Elohim and what do you if you're next to the Clan of Embers, and other warmongering countries?

Turtle up and go for religious, cultural, or Altar victory. You can farm up disciple units very quickly and churn out Great People at an excellent pace under Einion, who is by the way a solid candidate for "most stone cold hardcore leader of Erebus", and monks stop being quite so funny to neighboring civs when they pick up +2 Spirit Affinity. You also have some powerful culture gear from your unique buildings; consider Octopus Overlords and Ethne. Together, but not TOGETHER. No. Stop.

That's not very Elohim of you.

This is not to say that the Elohim are easy. If you want an easy time getting into the endgame stage of things, there's always the Legion or the Austrin. There is undeniably a point at which, yes, Clan of Embers or Doviello are going to have access to way more hurt then you have an easy answer for. You can get lots of happiness, but for health and food you kinda need your sacred domain to not be on fire and full of raging lycanthropes. Holding a city's square with a Chancel is not the same thing as holding the city. If your neighbors are giving you evil grins and asking impertinent questions as to the White of Ethne's undergarments, pick a strong defensive religion like Fellowship or Runes to hold off the inevitable.

It's a harder civ, but not hopeless. Just don't expect any Conquest victories, unless you're Thessalonica and you get ahold of some Governor's Manors or something.

Turtle up and go for religious, cultural, or Altar victory. You can farm up disciple units very quickly and churn out Great People at an excellent pace under Einion, who is by the way a solid candidate for "most stone cold hardcore leader of Erebus", and monks stop being quite so funny to neighboring civs when they pick up +2 Spirit Affinity. You also have some powerful culture gear from your unique buildings; consider Octopus Overlords and Ethne. Together, but not TOGETHER. No. Stop.

That's not very Elohim of you.

This is not to say that the Elohim are easy. If you want an easy time getting into the endgame stage of things, there's always the Legion or the Austrin. There is undeniably a point at which, yes, Clan of Embers or Doviello are going to have access to way more hurt then you have an easy answer for. You can get lots of happiness, but for health and food you kinda need your sacred domain to not be on fire and full of raging lycanthropes. Holding a city's square with a Chancel is not the same thing as holding the city. If your neighbors are giving you evil grins and asking impertinent questions as to the White of Ethne's undergarments, pick a strong defensive religion like Fellowship or Runes to hold off the inevitable.

It's a harder civ, but not hopeless. Just don't expect any Conquest victories, unless you're Thessalonica and you get ahold of some Governor's Manors or something.

alright thanks, I'll might try another game with them,
and yes my thoughts start going elsewhere with Ethne ;)

I won my only RiFE victory as Thessalonica. I adopted RoK, cleared the lairs around me, then got together a large army and to my surprise, defeated the Sheaim, Frozen, and D'tesh. I then took a few cities from the Khazad, who declared war on me. I managed to get my way to 2nd place, then got the Altar Victory.

Good times...

My second most sucessful game was as the Amurites. I stomped the Calabim, the Balseraphs, and the Lanun. Then the game began crashing every other turn and I had to quit.

FoL. I was't the founder, but I got Yvaine. The AC is 17.

I also had the Catacomb Libraius, the Celestial Compass, Cathedral of Tali, The Nexus, the Guild of Hammers, Ride of the Nine Kings, Crown of Akharien, Form of the Titan, Heron Throne, Silver Circle, Hall of Kings (conquered from the Calabim), The Great Library and the Grand Playhouse (conquered from the Balseraphs). Maybe the abundance of numbers was affected the game.

Edit: Wonders, not 'numbers'.

haha i'm guessing this was late game when it started crashing....

hmm usually my computer doesn't crash until we start getting the horsmen destroying the world :D

but sounds like a fun game :D

Happy to see you back! So, how's progress on your new civ going?

:lol:

Looking more like September 2012 these days. There might be some closely related cool stuff, but I feel it would be premature to elaborate and I can't give anything like an ETA.

I am good at brainstorming and writing up stuff, and really terrible at actually putting it together, because about three lines of incredibly simple XML code in I'm bored and by the seventh I'm usually booting up RIFE or something. I would probably not expect very much from me, and instead direct all faith towards the RIFE team, who are as productive as they are brilliant.

I won my only RiFE victory as Thessalonica. I adopted RoK, cleared the lairs around me, then got together a large army and to my surprise, defeated the Sheaim, Frozen, and D'tesh. I then took a few cities from the Khazad, who declared war on me. I managed to get my way to 2nd place, then got the Altar Victory.

Good times...

No wait, it was the Emperyan that I founded.

Do you think Thessalonica is the best leader for the Elohim if you go a more aggressive style?

Meh. Theoretically, yes, since you can just play a stronger civ - adopt RoK so you can turn captured cities into production powerhouses. But it's based on a stronger civ being nearby, AND you being able to take a city from them early. You might instead consider Einion Logos, rushing Altar, and throwing out highly promoted disciple units of an aggressive religion.

One more thing. How would an Ethne/Mercurians team work out in RifE, just in case one wishes to roleplay?

One more thing. How would an Ethne/Mercurians team work out in RifE, just in case one wishes to roleplay?

Probably pretty well? The Elohim are good at defense, the Mercurians are good at killing everybody. Match made in...well, yeah.

I techline to infernal pact, switch to Hyborem, and retake my numerous, poorly defended cities.;)

edit:oh yeah, and I offer them vassal status/have them send me their palace man after I've taken all but one city, preferably one of the new one pop cities that I found before I get infernal pact.

I techline to infernal pact, switch to Hyborem, and retake my numerous, poorly defended cities.;)

edit:oh yeah, and I offer them vassal status/have them send me their palace man after I've taken all but one city, preferably one of the new one pop cities that I found before I get infernal pact.

-.- thats one strategy you can use lol

I was thinking more Elohim centered instead of the "steps to make the world into hell" strategy :crazyeye:

Top Bottom