1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Pack1: Maya and Grand Colombia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, May 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

This desire to shoehorn as many minorities and women into history and entertainment as possible is getting tiresome.

Equilin, Caprikel, Metecury and 2 others like this.
  2. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Please don't start this conversation again.

3. Haig

Haig Deity

There has also been systematic downplay on many female rulers in history by historians of past, and now there are studies how distorted those views have been.

Giving an example of Civ games, two leaders in Civ 5 and 6, Wu Zetian and Seodong were cursed by confucian historians (like how Wu Zetian forced foreign envoys to give her pleasure etc.) and many of that stuff has been proven bs.

Not saying that there isnt forced minorities sometimes in entertainment, but things isnt as simple as some people think.

Guandao, Meluhhan, Zaarin and 11 others like this.
  4. Icicle

Icicle Prince

Nice parody account.

Zaarin and VermelhoRed like this.
  5. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

This is not the thread for this, especially in a game and series that celebrates the achievements of people worldwide which includes all the people you are considering "minorities".

Guandao, Meluhhan, Zaarin and 14 others like this.
  6. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

That's true and this is a good point. Historians have- historically- often given women the short end of the stick.

However, doing the opposite and up-playing them instead of downplaying them isn't doing anybody any favors either, and doesn't really change anything.

Civilizations have historically been ruled by men the VAST majority of the time. Civ 6 has an Italian lady leading France

Sorry I should've clarified- I'm talking about American gaming and movie studios like Firaxis, where minority is an actual political class and has a clear definition, so no quotations needed.

Secondly- you can celebrate achievements of people without distorting history.

I mean Catherine lading France are you serious? This is an example of a design choice that was made like this "We need a higher ratio of Women, no Napoleon, put Catherine in.

If Napoleon was a women she'd be in every game 100%

tl;dr you dont need to overrepresent something or someone to celebrate their achievements

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2020
    Equilin, Metecury and kaspergm like this.
  7. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

...Anyway, hopefully the first look is in the next few minutes!

8. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

nice ad-hominem

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Sadly not. So frustrating especially when we can all see the video's there! :lol:

Jeppetto, Guandao, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  10. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Aren't you guys drifting too far? And I think the reason why Firaxis selected those leaders are already answered in the past.

11. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

So to get us unofficially back on track, what to you think they will go with for the Maya Unique Unit.

SirMediocrity likes this.
  12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Anyone that had a leadership role in a nation can be a leader in a Civ game. That was established back in Civ I. Gandhi didn't even rule India and yet, he is Civ's posterboy. Catherine the Great wasn't Russian, I doubt anyone would question her value as a Russian leader. Nationality doesn't hold any meaningful weight while choosing who will lead a Civilization in this franchise, and avoiding leaders that aren't from a Civ nationality merely reduce options without adding anything to the game. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

One of the parameters they use to choose Civs is gameplay representation. Catherine's Flying Squadron is a perfect fit for the Spy system in Civ VI, which includes the Gossips mechanic. There's no good argument to say she doesn't deserve to be in Civ VI and she just fits. She is my dearest Ally in every game, she is great at parties and I'll defend her into the day I die, unless I'm playing domination, then I'll just conquer her, but it isn't personal.

Guandao, Haig, Jkchart and 2 others like this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I posted earlier that it will most likely be an early game ranged unit. It will most likely be either a powerful slinger replacement, or archer, but with throwing spears.
    Here's hoping they call it a Hul'che and not Atlatlist.

14. Casworon

Casworon Prince

The maya seem like almost a done deal.

We have a unique campus, i'm guessing the Atlatlist is back either as a unique archer or a unique skirmisher. So that's the UB and UU covered.

The interesting question is what the unique ability is going to be. I've seen some suggestions that it is going to have something to do with era's or Natural disasters. However these two mechanics are not in the base game, and from what i have gathered they are trying to make the new civilizations compatible with the base game.

Because of this i have no idea. They could go the science and faith route of civ v but i feel their is somthing more interesting they can do here but i can't think of anything off the top of my head

15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I'm guessing the holkan, which was the one they used from Civ4. A quick Google search of atlatlist, the one they used for Civ5, leans more towards sport than warfare.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

I posted my ideas earlier but the Maya were comprised of individual city-states, like ancient Greece, that were always constantly at war with each other. Marriages were made to form alliances. I hope to see some sort of city state interaction abilities such as more combat strength toward city states who are at war with one of your city-state and allies and trade route bonuses to city-states you are the suzerain of along with the usual faith and science.

It's considered a sport today, but back then it was used for both hunting and warfare by all the Mesoamerican people.

17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Damn those Mayan scribes, crowbarring their 8th-century values into history.

I think the Maya unique will be a javelin thrower of some sort, whether it replaces the slinger or skirmisher.

Guandao, Kjimmet, Zaarin and 8 others like this.
  18. Alexander's Hetaroi

I forgot about the skirmisher but I think that would come to late, unless they can get an earlier replacement in the Classical era which would work just as well.

Uberfrog likes this.
  19. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

yeah, please let's just go back to the good old time in history where we pretended like women didn't exist aside from giving birth to men or being evil seductresses.

yeah, no, how about we don't do that.

I hope it will be something other than a javelin-thrower. I loved that unit in Civ 5, and I think it was strong and well designed, don't get me wrong. I will also definitely make use of it, if we should get a javelin unit. From a balance POV it fits in nicely right next to Nubias unique archers. Early game UUs are the best UUs! I'd just like to see something new :)

Guandao and VermelhoRed like this.
  20. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

i guess the unique ability is still tied to the "calendar" or the turns system of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.