1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Pack1: Maya and Grand Colombia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, May 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates-

Socrates- Chieftain

So I did a some reading about Simon Boliver - assuming he's leading GC, but still hoping they'll find a female character :mischief: - which traits can we expect?

Maybe a casus belli for his Admirable Campaign?

A few pages back I read something about him possibly getting perks towards liberating city-states, maybe this might be broadened towards conquered cities in general?

I think a Mayan atlatl UU could be something of a mix between a slinger & spearmen. Personally I rarely seem to use spearmen so this could be a nice excuse to start building them.

conorbebe likes this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I expect either his LUA or his agenda to be called El Liberator.

3. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

How quick we are to erase Great Instigator Smoke-Jaguar. :sob:

I agree. Kristina's selection had little to with her gender - Firaxis stumpled upon her when they were doing their research for potential GS Civs, read up on her history, found out she was quite a cultural icon and big personality, and included her. I don't think her historical significance had anything to do with it - Ed & Co mostly love a very good life story and Kristina's is fascinating.

4. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Please, El Libertador instead. Spanglish doesn’t suit him.

Danthor, Inawordyes, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  5. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Honestly he got chosen because his name is cool. :p

Guandao likes this.
  6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Fixed the link. Yes not much info other than they were used for rivers and shorelines of Vietnam from the 13th to 17th century and played a huge role in their navy. So I would expect being stronger than other ships on coastal water. They also had cannons as well but I'm not sure if they would be in the ranged or melee line like Ironclads, which I can see it being the replacement of.

The macahuitl is already being used by the Eagle Warriors currently so it would be a differentiation. Whatever the UU is I expect it to be ranged.

7. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Yes, its is a more complex issue, since she was part of the Ptolemaic dynasty of Egypt and cultural identities don't just turn over instantly. She wasn't Greek, she also wasn't not Greek, she wasn't Egyptian, but also wasn't not Egyptian. The things aren't simply black and white, but calling her a Greek is a gross oversimplification, just like pretending there is a perfect embodiment of any civ in the era of a single leader.

Meluhhan likes this.
  8. conorbebe

conorbebe King

I have my fingers crossed for a hul'che/atlatl user that replaces the Archer, as Humankind has cruelly denied me one.

Guandao and Connor_CivFan like this.
  9. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

But they have developed their civilization (classic period) in lowlands in cities like Calakmul and Tikal. I included this to Yukatan, maybe badly from a geographical point of view. What I mean is they are rather lowland culture, not highland.

Zaarin likes this.
  10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Since someone asked on Discord and to add a little context to the first look releases, I looked in my dusty tome of release dates. The past two double civ DLCs had their first looks one day after the other - Persia/Macedon was on a Tuesday/Wednesday & Khmer/Indonesia was on a Monday/Tuesday. In the case of the Khmer/Indonesia DLC, it was released the same week (Thursday) as the first looks. So you could say based only on precedent that we won't get the Maya/Gran Colombia first looks until next week.

Meluhhan and bbbt like this.
  11. Zaarin

Calling her Greek is oversimplistic--but calling her a Hellene is not. I'd say it's pretty straightforward to say she wasn't Egyptian, whether culturally or ethnically. Again, the Ptolemies never assimilated to Egyptian culture and were militantly proud of the fact.

Guandao likes this.
  12. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Who knows if they pick some other Maya ruler, like the goggle-eyed Great Sun, Quetzal Macaw the First (name could also be translated 'Radiant First Quetzal Macaw' or 'Sun-Eyed Green Macaw' or even 'Sun In The Mouth of the Quetzal Bird' ?

I think we should start betting on which one it is. I think it's most likely to be Lady Six Sky or Yohl Ik'Nal, with Yuk'noom the Great or Pacal behind that.

*jittery that we don't know who the Maya ruler will be yet*

13. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

You'll find out soon enough.

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Wouldn't shock me to see then go next Tuesday/Wednesday. Although the question still is whether they'll also have a preview explicitly of the apocalypse mode, and whether they do a livestream of the new bits as well. If they did all, I would expect they would have to start showing things off this week.

15. Haig

Haig Deity

All right, didnt know about that. I guess they want that people without expansions can also enjoy the New Frontier DLC.

On the other hands some of my favorite civs (like Hungary, Germany etc) dont even use any expansion mechanics so it's not necessarily that big thing if they come up with interesting abilities.

16. Zaarin

I'm confident it will be Lady Six Sky. If it's not her, I think it will either be Yohl Ik'Nal or K'inich Janaab' Pakal. While the options are abundant, Firaxis doesn't have a history of being astonishingly creative with Mesoamerica. I only think Six Sky has a strong chance because the community brought her to Firaxis' attention, as I'm reasonably certain we did with Tamar and Seondeok.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Indeed. They emphasized how much they read the fan sites. And civfanatics likes to bring up L6S a lot as an option for the Maya, as we've done in the past few days.

Inawordyes, Guandao, Meluhhan and 2 others like this.
  18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm hoping we did that for Vietnam and the Trung Sisters as well. Though it should just be Trung Trac.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  19. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

which is why I think Ghandi was a bad pick to lead India. I'm of the opinion that leaders of civilizations, should have- at some point- actually have lead the civilization.

I realize that this is a completely subjective opinion, I'm not saying that I am right or that anybody is wrong for being happy with their choices

20. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I haven't been a fan of anything that fans have memed into existence for Civ 6. Canals and "Tamar of Georgia" were both incredibly lackluster. I guess I sort of resent it because it feels like I'm getting force-fed something that a random bunch of people here decided was worthy. So I don't want it to be the case for Vietnam or anything either.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.