1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Pack1: Maya and Grand Colombia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, May 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Eh, people have been asking for canals for at least 15 years. They are lackluster only because the ocean/navies/maritime trade is lackluster in civ6.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  2. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

We're splitting hairs here. Regardless of why they aren't good.... they're not good.

3. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

I sincerely hope we do not get both of the Trung Sisters. That would janky/cringey as hell (even worse than Eleanor showing up twice on the selection screen).

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

TBH I feel like Vietnam has more interesting options.

I think civ leaders should have wielded power, which is not necessarily the same thing as sitting on the throne. (For example, Victoria sat on the English throne, but she didn't wield much power. Cardinal Richelieu or CdM never sat on the throne but wielded a great deal of power.)

5. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Dynasty changes didn't always leave the best reviews of their predecessors. We think Ramesses I would have tied himself to the dynasties of the past or been more likely to place himself out as clearly his own dynasty? When Peter the Great held basically any other European culture as superior to his own, didn't make him any less Russian. Constantine thought his people's belief structure was poor, and he was still Roman. Egypt has persisted for plenty long and seen a myriad of cultural and political shifts with varying levels of assimilation/turmoil. Cleo was born an Egyptian ruler that ruled Egypt, and did so with a strong tie to Hellenistic culture, so maybe regardless she was Egyptian, what to qualify as a Ptolemaic Egyptian then whatever, but Egyptian nonetheless.

Meluhhan likes this.
  6. Denkt

Denkt Returned

I think someone suggested that one of the sisters could act as a unique governor.

7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I was thinking double-charactered leaderhead just to mix it up a bit aesthetically. They could finish each other's sentences and such

AvianBritish and AntSou like this.
  8. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

That would still be slightly odd but could definitely work. I don't know much about the Trung Sisters but maybe the less powerful/influential one could given the role of governor.

In all honestly, however, I'd rather have someone else who doesn't have to deal with this enigmatic sister-sister relationship. :lol:

pokiehl likes this.
  9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Trung Trac was crowned queen and her sister Trung Nhi served as top advisor and possible co-regent but she doesn't have to actually show up.

10. Zaarin

And once again, both the Ptolemies and the Egyptians disagree with you. There is no historical basis for calling Cleopatra ethnically Egyptian. She was a Hellene who lived in Egypt. Her first language was Greek, her gods were Greek, her upbringing was Greek, all of her ancestors (except one Syrian) were Greek. She learned Coptic and adopted Egyptian gods as an adult(ish) to win the support of the Egyptian people in the civil war against her brother.

This is getting off topic so I think it would be best to drop it. Suffice to say you're unlikely to convince me that anyone in Cleopatra's lifetime believed she was Egyptian, except in Cleopatra's own propaganda (which she was far too intelligent to fall for herself). She was a brilliant woman and one of my favorite historical personalities, but she wasn't ethnically or culturally Egyptian. (If anything, that should make her more remarkable; Egyptian culture was much more open to women in positions of power than Greek/Hellenistic culture was.)

Guandao and CivLuvah like this.
  11. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    I think it's safe to assume that Firaxis is aware that Civ fans like the more asymmetrical Civ designs that came with most of the Gathering Storm civs, and as such it's pretty likely they'll continue the trend and have similarly asymmetric Civ designs where the Civ comes with a malus in exchange for a more powerful ability. This, along with Hungary getting an ability that made use of a rarely used mechanic to turn it into something powerful are great examples of Civ design that really change the way you play Civilization.
    So basically my point is that we should speculate the Mayan's and Gran Colombian's abilities to be similarly asymmetrical with them possibly coming with maluses similar to what Mali and the Maori had. With that in mind, what would be some possible Asymmetrical designs that they might add for the Mayan's or Gran Colombia?

Inawordyes, Guandao, Cyon and 4 others like this.
  12. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Right, because she wasn't ruling in the Hellenistic state, she was Egyptian.

Meluhhan likes this.
  13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Not necessarily, both of those previous DLCs had the livestream the day after both first looks, which in the case of Khmer/Indonesia ended up being the day before it was released.

Meluhhan likes this.
  14. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

She wasn't much into leading though and she willingly abdicated at a very young age, which makes it a weird choice for a leader imo.

I like canals, they fulfil my need for terraforming. And I don't think they're useless. Being able to connect Oceans is very helpful. Sure, it's completely map dependent and you won't have a need for them in most situations, but just having the option to do so when the need arises is great imo.

I've considered that. It sounds pretty cool until one considers the ton of extra work required in animations which would be better spent developing a new leader. The governor idea sounds better, though they didn't do much governing either. Trung Trac is probably the safer bet. I'm really looking forward towards a Vietnam Civ though.

Guandao, Jkchart and Zaarin like this.
  15. Zaarin

Of course she was. Don't let historical facts stand in the way of your wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

I didn't think I cared about Canals, but to my surprise I've found them occasionally useful.

Equilin likes this.
  16. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Here's a screenshot of a Panama Canal I built a few months ago while playing a Continents map that generated two continents connected by a land bridge:

Spoiler :

bite, Meluhhan, Inawordyes and 8 others like this.
  17. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I love canals and how they look.

That being said...I wish by default not every city would have a canal in it when placed on the water...i hate building cities on small islands to have a canal pointlessly cut through that city

18. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

It is hard to argue against Pacal, as he is one of the best-documented Mayan rulers thanks to his extensive constructions at Palenque (that happily survive to this day), and his impressive 68-year reign (a record only recently matched by Elizabeth II, and making him the fifth longest-reigning monarch in recorded history).

But variety is the spice of life and it would be nice to have a Mayan queen in Civ 6.

19. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

You dare question a staple that's been in the series since the first game? :smug:

Half-joking aside, I am of the opinion that you don't necessarily have to wield any power to lead a civilization if you have the following of your people, or you wield considerable influence over them.

AvianBritish and King William I like this.
  20. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Looking into Yohl Ik'nal more, there are some titles for her floating around that might form the basis for a leader ability; though she carried the full queen regnant title in Maya history (unlike Lady Six Sky, who was more a de facto power), it seems relatively little is known of what happened in Yohl Ik'nal's reign: https://ancientmayalife.blogspot.com/2017/11/lady-yohl-iknal-woman-that-ruled.html

If Firaxis went with her instead, her leader ability could be titled something like "Divine Lord of Palenque" (her official title), or "Heart of the Wind Place" (the meaning of her name).

For me the only argument against him is that he's been featured in Civ a lot and his personality hasn't really come through in prior incarnations (in Civ V he was basically a doomsday prophet with a creepy laugh; in some ways I preferred the Civ IV incarnation of him as a child ruler). Certainly very accomplished! As long reigns go IIRC Lady Six Sky had the longest of the female Maya rulers, so hopefully she's in. :D

Also, someone made a Twitter account for Lady Six Sky back in 2019, lol: https://twitter.com/ladysixsky1

Even more amusingly, I also found a steamy romance novel about Lady Six Sky on Amazon which oddly pairs her romantically with the Naranjo artist Ah Maxam, who was active around the mid-late 8th century, which was in the later half of Lady Six Sky's life and after the death of Lady Six Sky's (unnamed) Naranjo husband (to be fair, Ah Maxam was part of the Naranjo royal bloodline): https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Six-Sky-Elloras-Cave/dp/1419963007

It seems Lady Six Sky garnered some sort of "pop" recognition, and I have to wonder where the present-day Maya know of her or learn of her in school, etc.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.