1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pact of Cooperation???

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Oddible, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

Just had Ghandi offer me a Pact of Cooperation - no info in the tooltip on what this means, how long it lasts, what this is committing me to. So I looked in the manual. Not a single mention of a Pact of Cooperation anywhere in the manual. Some missing info here.

I'm guessing it just means we'll be nice to each other for a while until the pact is dissolved.

EDIT - It gets worse. I accepted this 'Pact' but there is no indication anywhere on any Diplomacy screen that any Pact exists. So maybe this is meaningless and is like the leader saying I'll be nice to you if you be nice to me and then we can declare war next turn if we like with no consequences to other relationships???

2. Pyrofox

Pyrofox Chieftain

Pretty much. I don't think it's a formal alliance.

3. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

Its a pact to make two civs friendly with eachother. So use it with people you want to make nice with :)

4. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Surprise, surprise, it seems that diplomacy is really non-transparent.
    Who coulda seen that one coming?

5. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

I hope so that civ 5 won't become that 1 miss that happens to all good game franchises.

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

lol, if you want to cooperate with them, accept it, if you don't then don't.

If you've accepted, cooperate with them, help them in wars, don't settle near them, don't grab up resources you would want if you were them, trade....

Is it really so hard?

7. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I played the demo and that pact is kinda confusing... The situation: Alex comes and offers pact of coop, I agree, go to diplomacy overview or whatever, there it states by his name pact of coop, ok, I go visit him, discuss... and what I see? An option to make the coop pact... :confused: So I push it and he declines... :confused::confused::confused:

8. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

...yeah. I mean I've only played the demo so far (because Europe)... but diplomacy confuses the hell out me. So far, I can't find any indicator telling me about the relationship/attitude between me and the AI. I mean I'm not asking for a numeric probability of war declarations... but at least a angry or happy smiley to have a rough indication would be nice. :confused:

Am I supposed to take notes how often I was accepted or denied requests from them? Or memorise it? Eh, hopefully this becomes clearer once I get the full game this weekend (because I'm mostly loving what I'm seeing so far).

Cheers, LT.

9. Mannu

Mannu Warlord

Here's a hint: you're opponents are trying to win the game and you shouldn't trust them not to do anything that would further that goal.

10. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

That's no excuse for non-transparency. There is no point in signing an agreement that you can't understand.

11. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Yyyup, same here :(

Also, what irks me is that you can only trade for 5:gold:/turn from AI, no more :rolleyes:

12. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

Now see, that I don't mind so much. The absurd sums the AI would trade in CivIV were a bit broken I think.

Not being able to see ANY indication of whether one civ is friendly or hostile to another civ is problematic.

13. bernlin2000

bernlin2000 Prince

And I used the shiny new search in civilapedia for "pact of cooperation"...no results. :mad: Clearly not using the google search engine in there

14. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

I figured there'd be a thread around on this. I had the same problem, figuring it meant something relatively benign but not being able to find info on it anywhere (and I had read the entire manual before playing and checked in-game for mention of it, too). Seems to be overlooked.

15. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Actually there is all info in the tooltip, but it doesn't pop up simply on mouseover, you have to wait like 1-2 seconds.

16. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

What's worse about this is that I can put in more, and they will agree....only then do I find out that I can only do 5.

I consider it a bug actually.

17. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Yeah, what happened to "always read before signing"?

18. patrickkrebs

patrickkrebs Warlord

Yeah... like it matters one way or another.

19. maler23

maler23 Chieftain

Another vote against the lack of transparency on this. If you're going to have an option to click on, the ramifications should be clearly defined, both via tooltip and in the Civilopedia. I can understand keeping leader's thoughts/intentions hidden but I am growing increasingly frustrated with the missing information in the Civilopedia, especially given the decision to keep the manual download-only. Though, I must say the manual isn't much better, especially with regard to resources and improvements to land.

20. Niptium

Niptium Warlord

That happened with Civ3.