1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Pagan religion, world religion or both?

Discussion in 'Old World - Strategy and Tips' started by Ita Bear, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Ita Bear

Ita Bear Warlord

Hello folks,

I'm curious as to how you play with religions in the game. Do you prefer to go solely pagan, aim for a world religion or go for both? The obvious downside to both is the relation penalty you will inevitably suffer when you and your families follow different faiths. I find an early religion with the Cleric family a great boon to culture and relations, but the ability to spam shrines with Polytheism can be very powerful. As yet, I haven't been brave enough to try a mix of both approaches. :D

Curious to hear how you play it.

Kind regards,
    Ita Bear

2. jguy100

jguy100 Prince

I generally try avoiding a mix - too many things for me to keep track of. Too many people to try and keep happy!

If I have clerics, I generally found a world religion. Otherwise, I like to stick with paganism.

3. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

I'm the same.

4. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Tactician

I try get as many religions and possible and spread them around as much as possible

5. PiR

PiR Emperor Supporter

@Dale do you think we could have an option to stop proposing shrines in the UI? if we decide to go full monotheism

6. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

Shrines have a lot of bonuses, even if not pursuing a pagan religion push. Sometimes having the shrine can provide lots of benefits.

PiR likes this.
  7. Forster

Forster Prince

Are there any problems allowing paganism and shrines if you do go monotheism?

8. PiR

PiR Emperor Supporter

AFAIK You just have one more religion to deal with. So potentially more discontent, malus, etc.

9. nolegskitten

nolegskitten Warlord

the best mix is probably paganism plus a world religion. Shrines can be excellent buildings, two religions are not very hard to satisfy, and you can play with amazing synergies between paganism and a world religion with the right laws and theologies. If you never tried it, you should try a game with the goal of founding a world religion and using polytheism to spam shrines everywhere, and adopt tolerance and mythology, see what it does for you ;-). You still keep all the benefits from the religions and shrines if you later switch to monotheism for the orders.