Pagans and Christians and Atheists, Oh My!

andrewgprv

Second Class Citizen
Am I the only one here who doesn't care if people are atheists or believers or what have you?

Fact: I have met many intellegent, kind, wise, overall great people who are atheist.

Fact: I have met many intellegent, kind, wise overall great people who are christain.

Fact: I have met many narrow-minded atheists

Fact: I have met many narrow-minded deists.

And the list could go on.

I myself am an atheist because I have been not been provided proof of god's existence, hence I have no motivation to believe. Some people have been given motivation to believe and say that it requires faith since god cannot be proven. Though I disagree with them it is their choice to believe, just as it is my choice to disbelieve.

There are good people on both sides of the coin, so why must we continue to stereo-type eachother and accuse the other side of wrong-doing or biggotry?

I don't care either. Some of my best friends (in real life) are Athiests, or just don't really care about religion that much.

I find that religion doesn't come up much. And when it does, I don't try to get philosophical or argumentative about it, since it would only split my friends into groups. And it is very hard to get a complex point across when talking.

I care because there is a genuine sadness in my heart when I hear the way most of you talk. Genuine. Sometimes it angers me (those of you who are more rude ;) ), but most of the time it just saddens me. I wish all of you could experience the love of Christ. It's not a ticket to a bed of roses, but it is freedom. I can't convince you of that. The Holy Spirit would have to. I can only inform you about it.

I don't think most people are doing what you imply, andrew. I for one am completely fine with attitudes like the Colonel's. Live and let live, so to speak. I find alot of religion related things simply interesting, as most other social issues as well. It's good to know what people believe and why they do what they do.
But there are some zealots here who don't accept others and lately I have changed my attitude when it comes to this place.

In real life it is not much of a topic anyway, except for discussions, usually drunk ones. I have people of all kinds of faiths around me so the possibility is there but most of the time people don't care much.

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
I care because there is a genuine sadness in my heart when I hear the way most of you talk. Genuine. Sometimes it angers me (those of you who are more rude ;) ), but most of the time it just saddens me. I wish all of you could experience the love of Christ. It's not a ticket to a bed of roses, but it is freedom. I can't convince you of that. The Holy Spirit would have to. I can only inform you about it.

I understand I felt the same way when I was religous.

Also remeber many non-believers feel the same pitty for you. They feel that you are a slave to religon and have given up your own free thought for traditional dogmas.

We both wish to free eachother so to speak, and this is not wrong of course. However these debates more often then not resort to each side calling eachother names and bringing out tired stereotypes.

I think it is imperative that we do not assume someone is an athiest because they are afraid or sinfull, or that someone is a christain because they are stupid and narrow-minded. I think we should all try a little harder to respect each-others intellegence.

Well, your point is well taken, Hitro. Here at CFC, the nature of the place is to contemplate the heavier topics of life. In most everyday conversation, it simply doesn't come up. Most people are fine to work around others of different beliefs. You know: politics and religion: the two topics you're supposed to avoid in polite conversation. ;)

The specific religious beliefs don't bother me as much as the excuse they seem to give people to be intolerant and bigoted.

Originally posted by andrewgprv

I think it is imperative that we do not assume someone is an athiest because they are afraid or sinfull, or that someone is a christain because they are stupid and narrow-minded. I think we should all try a little harder to respect each-others intellegence.

Respect each other's intelligence. That is no problem. This type of discussion is not so much a discussion of intelligence. Some of the brightest minds believe in God and some of the dumbest people believe in . . . well, other stuff. It works both ways. It is a spiritual matter of faith --for both sides (although some on one side of the issue would disagree. You know who you are. ;) ).

--CK

I am very interested in the questions of motive and value, that is one reason why I care what people believe.

But I always try to judge people by their actions not their words.

Some of the people I love are spiritual/religious - though they tend not to be dogmatically so.

You know: politics and religion: the two topics you're supposed to avoid in polite conversation.
:hmm: So that's why I'm never invited to dinner parties twice.

Originally posted by andrewgprv
Your intention here is certainly good and in accordance with what I think. But we should not forget that on essence there is a difference. That what we can mutually archieve (in society) is tolerance, not complete understanding.
In the end a Christian will believe that a non-Christian like an Atheist is on the wrong path, and that he does sin by saying and thinking that God doesn't exist. That doesn't have to make him evil, though.
In the end an Atheist will believe that a Christian as well as most other religious people are not completely facing reality and in this sense misguided by fairy tales. That doesn't have to make them stupid overall, though.
A Muslim might not see a Christian as an ultimate evil but in the end he will believe that the Christian is on the wrong track by not acknowledging Mohammed as the prophet. They can still get along.

Tolerance is the key here, but that doesn't mean that the differences shouldn't be acknowledged. They can also be discussed if the people involved are tolerant, though in most cases noone will be convinced of another's opinion. It can still lead to more understanding of what others think and believe, without of course to share those beliefs.

But I think there is a point where agreeing to disagree is the most you can archieve. Ever since I read this forum FL2 has tried to convince others of Creationism and others have tried to convince him that Creationism is wrong. Neither side has archieved anything nor does it look like that will ever change. Instead the discussions often reach a point of a simple exchange of insults and dogma, which I consider quite pointless.

Given the ever-increasing number of threads on religious topics (usually religion vs. atheism) on this forum, maybe a separate forum should be created for them?

Originally posted by Pariah
Given the ever-increasing number of threads on religious topics (usually religion vs. atheism) on this forum, maybe a separate forum should be created for them?

Don't give the mods any ideas! If this kind of thinking continues then OT will be split among 20 different forums and we'll all have to jump from one forum to the other to have any fun.

how many narrow minded pagans and polythesits have you met ;)

Originally posted by Pariah

No. These things usually come in phases. There is one thread on them and then a few more spring up, then they die down again. For a great example (but short-lived) look at all the music threads we had a few days ago.

I will only give my opinion if asked. But besides that, I think the world could only grow stronger if all belief in the supernatural was discarded.

In my mind people are classified by their actions, not their words or beliefs. And to tell you the truth, religion doesn't seem to have much effect on that. Atheists aren't more predominantly lawless and immoral; Christians aren't more predominantly law-abiding or moral.

Originally posted by Xen
how many narrow minded pagans and polythesits have you met ;)
Just you!

Anyways, as I figure it, we're all put on this planet in basically the same way and we all know practically nothing, someone who takes a different approach to religion is no less wrong then I undoubtedly am.

Top Bottom