Painful Start.....

Ghonasiflaids

Warlord

I checked, theirs no plains/grassland for miles and miles. This is a huge, marathon map.

Seeing as how I'm the dutch, this start has massive potential due to the swamps. But, that will require a beeline to guilds, and the other tiles are basically all jungle, which means I will have to go out of my way to research bronze working/calender for those. Their's quite a bit of fish around the shore so I'm planning on going liberty and settling on all the river coastal spots. That river next to a mountain and a bunch of fish looks quite tempting.

Just thought this start was quite interesting. It will take a massive amount of effort and patience (Seeing as how its marathon), but I'm interested in what the end result would be. Any advice?

Scout asap, and pray there's no warmonger civ too close for comfort.
If you have some form of natural barrier, e.g. mountain range, close off a nice area where the ai can't get an expand.

Seeing the amount of jungles you have rushing education before guilds may be tempting, especially if you can get 5-6 cities going. I'd rush the GL (depending on your diff), go bronze working, calendar, beeline education after, rushbuy universities, and beeline for guilds straight after. Just don't forget to have a military going, even if small, your terrain gives you HUGE advantages defending.

I'm an emporer immortal player here, I started next to Theodora, which is fine but theirs almost no choke point to block her expansion. So I have settlers ready if I so much as see one of her settlers. I'll post a pic

May have exaggerated a bit on their not being grass/plains/desert nearby, but that area is clearly in theodora's control. One thing that I find troubling is she chose the honour policy.

I may have a slightly different play style but with all those rivers and marshes those cities will become massive, wall up and ride it out I think that's a culture victory waiting to happen.

Thats the main issue with the Dutch start bias, they end up in areas you can't work for a long time stifling growth.

My current continent has been 1 move tiles everywhere. Moving anything but horses (that I had none off) is painful. Jungle and Marsh everywhere, a bit of forest, but I wasn't happy with the amount of hills, so didn't chop forest either.

But, oh my, those towns sure take off later.

Maybe just give into Whatever Theodora's religion will be and she'll be your best bud forever?

Since she gets +1 belief, her religion might be very powerful for you too, as long as she doesn't take 2 founder beliefs.

I'm kind of looking into founding my own religion. I managed to snag the panthenon +1 culture from jungle tiles, and I'de like that belief to last.

Edit: Also, what say you guys on forest hills (on rivers)? Do you chop them down and replace with hillfarm/mine? Is the lumber mill that worth it later on that having an early +2 food and +2 production better than +1 food +2 production?

You have hills, I don't see the problem. Loaded with rivers, coastal access, leaping point for your unique improvement, several compensatory / utilization choices for pantheon. 3rd city on a river tile next to that lake would also be decent and work at cutting off Theo, and should be defensible

Jungle cities can become reall power houses later in the game. Get the right religion and a uni and your off.

Just wait it out till you get the right tech.

As for river side hills I tend to farm them unless I really really need the production and then I'll mine them. Chop the forest into something useful. If the forested hill is non riverside then I mine it rather than mill it. Plenty of ways to get food to feed those hammers after all.

Alright, polders are one tech a way so I think ill show my current progress. Amsterdam is already a powerhouse city (biggest in the world as far as i know), and thanks to foreign trade connections my economy is solid.

And about theodora, she has, luckily, only settled one city, right next to her capital. HOWEVER, she HAS stolen my wonders...

Should also be noted that she founded cristianity, and I founded islam ( I wanted to found judaism but stupid denmark stole it... bah).

Should also be noted that she founded cristianity, and I founded islam ( I wanted to found judaism but stupid denmark stole it... bah).
You can rename the religion to anything you want. I usually pick something other than a real world religion, like "Civism" ;) .

You can rename the religion to anything you want. I usually pick something other than a real world religion, like "Civism" ;) .

I know this, but I like to play civ with some bit of immersion :p.

Btw, I got the polders up, and oh my does amsterdam and rotterdam look beautiful. The city went from maxing out at 12 citizens to have an overload of food I normally wouldnt have had until fertilizer.

Those are a lot of plantations and those rivers make your whole capital close to impossible to siege in the mid-early game.
Too bad the forests are ruining your hill+archer range =/

But really your spawn is so good for a tall empire.

Is this Perfect World 3 map script?

I had a recent start similar to yours . . . went +1 culture from plantations. Very powerful pantheon belief if you go Trad. and have that many plantation resources.

I've been trying to decide between the Netherlands or Greece for my next game. This might have just tipped the balance. :p

Love the updates BTW. You should start an AAR. Really shows the ability of the Netherlands.

I'll keep my eye out on that Western Roman Empire, especially after he has hit Renaissance.

Top Bottom